What's new

ISIS 're-enter ancient Palmyra' in Syria

Saudi Typhoon

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Islamic State fighters 're-enter ancient Palmyra' in Syria

Media captionA look inside the ruins after they were recaptured from so-called Islamic State in March
Battle for Mosul: The story so far
Islamic State group fighters have re-entered Palmyra, nine months after losing the ancient Syrian desert city, activists say.

IS held Palmyra and its nearby ruins for 10 months before it was recaptured by Syrian government forces in March.

But the jihadist group launched an offensive earlier this week.

Meanwhile, Russian-backed Syrian government forces are closing in on the remaining rebel-held area of the city of Aleppo.

Civilians are said to be streaming out of the city in large numbers.

US urges 'grace' as Aleppo's fall nears

IS 'loses 50,000 fighters in two years'

Why IS militants destroy ancient sites

US Secretary of State John Kerry, speaking after a meeting in Paris of governments that back the Syrian opposition, urged Syria and Russia to "show a little grace" as they neared their objective.

Lightning offensive
Syrian government forces were backed by the Russian military when they recaptured Palmyra and its famed ancient Roman ruins from IS earlier this year.

The two militaries have since turned their attention to fighting local opposition forces in Aleppo and Damascus, Associated Press reports.

_92916939_036829487-1.jpg
Image copyrightREUTERS
Regrouping in the shadows, by Tomos Morgan, BBC News, Beirut
Even though Islamic State was driven out of Palmyra earlier this year - it's understood they never completely left the area.

They were regrouping in the shadows, waiting, for the perfect opportunity to strike.

And, whilst the eyes of the world, and the might of Syrian pro-government forces, were focused on Aleppo, they struck.

Palmyra has been seen as a strategic location for IS, due to its close proximity to oil fields.

Syrian government reinforcements were sent from Aleppo to fight in this new battle earlier this week.

Rebels groups in the country's second city claim that any more government fighters moving south would hinder President Bashar al-Assad's efforts in Aleppo.

Just as it appeared one fight was nearing its end for Mr Assad, another has only just begun.

The activist-run Palmyra Co-ordination Collective said IS militants had seized the city's military warehouse and its northern and western districts after taking government positions, oilfields and strategic heights in the surrounding countryside in a three-day campaign.

The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said IS fighters had reached the city's hospital and its strategically located wheat silos.

"IS entered Palmyra on Saturday and now occupies its north-west," said Rami Abdel Rahman of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

"There is also fighting with the army in the city centre," he added.

In other developments:

_85151981_palmyra_sites_624_v3.jpg

IS destroyed a number of monuments and beheaded the archaeological director during its 10-month occupation of the Unesco World Heritage site and the adjacent city of Tadmur.

Two 2,000-year-old temples, an arch and funerary towers were left in ruins.

The jihadist group, which has also demolished several pre-Islamic sites in neighbouring Iraq, believes that such structures are idolatrous.

While some treasured monuments were destroyed, much of the historic site was left undamaged.

The city was reclaimed with the support of air strikes by the Russian air force.

IS subsequently lost large amounts of territory across Syria and Iraq.

Islamic State fighters 're-enter ancient Palmyra' in Syria

No they didn't and couldn't enter any parts of city. Very heavy and intense airstrikes totally turned the tide against ISIS and many of them were burned around Palmyra. Sorry if you are disappointed.
INCOMPETENT RUSSIAN AND MULLAHS :partay::rofl:
Not a single Iranian is present in Palmyra. And it's a bit of irony you are talking about incompetency as a Saudi citizen.

INCOMPETENT RUSSIAN AND MULLAHS :partay::rofl:

Source*

@Al-Andalus
@500
@Zarvan

I am not surprised when see a Saudi celebrating for ISIS advances because ISIS is your ideological brother.
As a Saudi you should cry and not celebrate because in the past year your country has been pushed back by Iran in all fronts and Salman a.k.a "the Superman Sheikh" is the biggest looser in the Middle East now.

How the kingdom has experienced diplomatic reverses on all fronts

1. Saudi ambassador has pulled out of Iraq,
2. Pounded by Iranian, Russian and Syrian government forces, the rebels in Aleppo are on the verge of defeat.
3. The Saudis have bowed to Iran’s preference for Lebanon’s president.
4. At the OPEC meeting Saudis agreed to shoulder the largest share of a production cut while letting Iran raise its
production to pre-sanction levels.
5. In Mosul your ideological brothers are dying every day and soon Mosul will be liberated.
6. Yemen has become your graveyard and after 20 months you couldn't reach to Sana.

Assad (Syrian Baath) - ISIS (Iraqi Baath). Just two brands of same shyt.

Not a single Iranian is present in Palmyra. And it's a bit of irony you are talking about incompetency as a Saudi citizen.
There are many Iranian mercenaries there.

There are many Iranian mercenaries there.

Show me an Iranian national in Palmyra.

Assad (Syrian Baath) - ISIS (Iraqi Baath). Just two brands of same shyt.
It seems someone isn't happy that ISIS offensive has failed.

But seriously, if we want to name any example closest to ISIS ideology, it would be Israel.

Show me an Iranian national in Palmyra.
I said mercenaries. Iraqi and Afghan thugs.

It seems someone isn't happy that ISIS offensive has failed.

But seriously, if we want to name any example closest to ISIS ideology, it would be Israel.
U seem to have reading comprehension problems. I repeat million times: Iraqi Baath aka ISIS and Syrian Baath aka Assad are just two brands of same shyt. U like shyt called Syrian Baath and I dont like any kind of shyt. Thats the difference between me and u.

I thought ISIS and Iran were best friends? Can you explain?

They are, and ISIS is also best friends with the Syrian army and Russia but its best not to question these things. The reports of Iranians, Russians and Syrians killing ISIS is just conspiracy theories. In fact Palmyra was never taken; there was just a secret pact between ISIS and Syria/Russia. Just trust me on that....too much questions are bad.

Also the reports of farmers with pitchforks working with ISIS and and Nusra are false. It's a conspiracy started by the damn lizard Jews...they are always formulated these types of things. The farmers with pitchforks just want democracy, and who better to bring democracy then the champions of democracy...the Saudis, can't you see this? Look at Assad...compare how secular he is to the Saudis. See what I mean?

Last edited:
I thought USA was fighting ISIS! It has been purportedly doing so for the last so many years.

Its so fortuitous for America that whenever America needs this terror organization it appears all of a sudden in that location.

Whats better way to negate the success in Aleppo by ISIS re entry in Palmyra and excessive propaganda about it that western media perpetuates. These media outlets are becoming mouthpieces of ISIS

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom