What's new

Islamic extremists try to blow up Buddha statue in Pakistan

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Islamic extremists try to blow up Buddha statue in Pakistan

Islamic extremists tried to blow up an ancient statue of Buddha carved into a mountainside in northwestern Pakistan, but did not damage the structure, officials and witnesses said Wednesday.

The attack echoes the Taliban's destruction of the famous Bamiyan statues in neighboring Afghanistan in 2001 and comes as that country and Pakistan battle a surge in violence by extremists wanting to impose a harsh version of Islamic law.

The attempt to destroy the monument occurred in the small village of Jehanabad in North West Frontier Province, a stronghold of pro-Taliban militants that lies on the border with Afghanistan, officials said.

"Luckily, the actual statue of the Buddha is safe," said Abdul Nasir, assistant curator of the museum in the nearby town of Swat. "Islam teaches us to respect other religions and faiths, but unfortunately some elements are disturbing the peace in the Swat valley."

Islamic extremists try to blow up Buddha statue in Pakistan | Jerusalem Post

Excuse me? Are you talking about the webmaster???

There's no Talibani in our midst!

Excuse me? Are you talking about the webmaster???

There's no Talibani in our midst!

Abe ooh Asim. He is talking about the article. Talibans who destroyed the famous buddha structure.

It is arguable if Islam allows breaking of idols in your own Islamic country.

Abe ooh Asim. He is talking about the article. Talibans who destroyed the famous buddha structure.

It is arguable if Islam allows breaking of idols in your own Islamic country.
Yaar he used "you".

Anyway I don't think Islam permits breaking idols in your own country if you're a Muslim. Basically in the old days Prophet Ibrahim broke the idols but he belonged to an idol worshipping father who belonged to a community of idol worshippers. So Islam encourages this change to come from within idol worshipping societies but it shouldn't be so that we go into their business and tear down their idols.

Well didnt somebody argue that the Taliban's demolished the Budha Statue in Afghanistan bcoz they were pissed off with the western aid being readily given for restructuring such statues and but wasnt available for suffering Afghanis.

OMG
Webby first of all you had posted the news from an athentic sources of Israel but anyway its an old news of about three days.

I had seen the place and the people who live there we had the news from them as soon as the incident took place.
And there was no evidence that Islamists had tried to blow it rather it was some low intesity material used just to get into the news.
secondly the news was of only five lines and you can see the cunning try by this source and other western media sources how they had tried to make it a big news.
thirdly and the most important thing is US/NATO was trying for the last many months to launch indirect (through Pak Army) or direct (through NATO airstrikes) operation in Swat Valley having border with Afghanistan.
Though Pak Army is deployed in Swat (Malakand Division) for the purpose but they had failed to launch any operation thanks to some sensble people who had held talks.
Now they dont have any such excuse to launch such operation and such incidents as described in the news posted by webby ;) are an attempt to provoke international anger (AS we all know how the Civilized world jump over destruction of statues but never moved over killing of inncocent people) over this incident and ultimatly pave way for an attack.

Dude, in all probability this wasn't an attempt to send an Islamic message (what have the Buddhists done to Pakistani Muslims?), this was done to hamper Pakistan's tourism industry of which ancient Buddhist sites are frequented by many.

Btw, how come I've never seen this carved up Buddha? As far as I know most of these Buddhist artifacts are found in and around the excavated site of Taxila.

OMG
Webby first of all you had posted the news from an athentic sources of Israel but anyway its an old news of about three days.

I had seen the place and the people who live there we had the news from them as soon as the incident took place.
And there was no evidence that Islamists had tried to blow it rather it was some low intesity material used just to get into the news.
secondly the news was of only five lines and you can see the cunning try by this source and other western media sources how they had tried to make it a big news.
thirdly and the most important thing is US/NATO was trying for the last many months to launch indirect (through Pak Army) or direct (through NATO airstrikes) operation in Swat Valley having border with Afghanistan.
Though Pak Army is deployed in Swat (Malakand Division) for the purpose but they had failed to launch any operation thanks to some sensble people who had held talks.
Now they dont have any such excuse to launch such operation and such incidents as described in the news posted by webby ;) are an attempt to provoke international anger (AS we all know how the Civilized world jump over destruction of statues but never moved over killing of inncocent people) over this incident and ultimatly pave way for an attack.
Which statues are these? Name of the place, picture?

are an attempt to provoke international anger (AS we all know how the Civilized world jump over destruction of statues but never moved over killing of inncocent people) over this incident and ultimatly pave way for an attack.

Interesting, but we all know that those are not part of the main society of Pakistan.

Interesting, but we all know that those are not part of the main society of Pakistan.

Is the "international society" in a position to differentiate between them? Unfortunately no.

Your PR is so bad that australia will not send a cricket/hockey team to Pakistan's main cities. All the Pakistani passports are screened extra carefully.

I see this battle in the tribal areas as the last stand of the feudal system. For Pakistan's own good, the feudal and tribal system has to be destroyed. Pakistan has to be ONE Pakistan, one rule, one law for all.

Why, I see this battle going on right here in this forum. There are some people who go to any lengths to defend the taliban/tribals.

P.s: there is a battle going on even in india regarding the enactment of one rule for all. It is the uniform civil code issue in personal matters and article 370 for even treatment between all states. Both are unfortunately/fortunately championed by the BJP.

I say we blow up the Islamic extremists. What is the sense in blowing up statues that are sacred to some people and which might provide source of income to the locals in the form of tourism?

It's hard for me to believe that some humans are still stuck in the 15th century.

^ Result of the backward education. The only education "some" can provide.

I say we blow up the Islamic extremists. What is the sense in blowing up statues that are sacred to some people and which might provide source of income to the locals in the form of tourism?

It's hard for me to believe that some humans are still stuck in the 15th century.

It is Pakistan's battle whole and sole. Just think that Pakistan was awakened from its lethargy by the US. Portray it as Pakistan's battle. You are doing it as US's battle. Pakistan should devise the required strategies, not some one in washington.

I do not personally think that the agreements with tribals is the right way to go about it. You are simply extending the status quo, when your long term benefit it in destroying it and replacing it with a modern outlook.

If Pakistan goes on in the present way, the only result will be the destruction of both the tribal areas and the mainstream.

Symbolism is going to play a major role in breaking this stranglehold. Pakistan will have to devise some symbols which will attract the tribals into breaking it themselves. Presently the victory of these people is coming because they have given the symbol of "satan/USA" & "against quran" for this war.

If you know the Indian independence period, what made the whole of british empire tremble in 1931? salt, it was something which everyone uses and masses could connect to it, it became the symbol against the atrocities of british.

Pakistan's victory hinges on who wins the battle of hearts of common tribals and that depends on what symbols you use.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom