What's new

Israeli man sets himself on fire during Tel Aviv social protest

Reaction score
Israeli man sets himself on fire during Tel Aviv social protest

Protester in serious condition after he poured gasoline on his body and set himself on fire; in letter he left behind, he says, 'the state of Israel robbed me.'

By Yaniv Kubovich, Ilan Lior and Talila Nesher | Jul.14, 2012 | 10:54 PM | 15

Israeli man sets himself on fire during Tel Aviv social protest, July 14, 2012. Photo by AFP

Letter left by the man who set himself on fire during a social justice protest in Tel Aviv, July 14, 2012.

Israelis take to the streets to mark one year since start of social protests
By Ilan Lior | Jul.14,2012 | 10:54 PM

Moshe Silman, a 57-year-old Haifa resident, set himself on fire Saturday during a Tel Aviv demonstration marking the anniversary of last summer's social protests.

As thousands marched down Kaplan Street to mark a year since the start of social protests, as Silman poured gasoline on his body and set himself on fire.

Silman was evacuated to Ichilov Hospital shortly afterward.

"The state of Israel stole from me and robbed me. It left me helpless," wrote Silman in a letter he left at the scene.

"Two Housing and Construction Ministry committees rejected me, even though I had a stroke," wrote Silman in the letter, adding that the facts could be checked with a public housing company in Haifa.

In the letter, Silman wrote that he blames "the state of Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz, for the humiliation that weakened citizens go through every day, taking from the poor and giving to the rich."

Yonatan Sahar, a protester who witnessed the incident, said that he was standing next to the man, when suddenly he set himself on fire.

"I saw him holding something burning," he said. When suddenly he poured gasoline on himself and immediately caught fire. "I didn't know what to do," he added.

According to medical officials, the man is currently in serious condition.

Dozens of protesters arrived at Ichilov Hospital after hearing about the incident. Police forces prevented their entry, while filming the protesters who held signs condemning the Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz and Tel Aviv Mayor Ron Huldai. Protesters also remained at the site where the man lit himself on fire.

Ofer Barkan, a social protest activist from Haifa, said that the man was an activist in last year’s protests. “We met him last summer,” Barkan said, “he was a completely normative person who lived in Tel Aviv but then his business went under. He became a cab driver and suffered a stroke which left him unemployed. He moved from Tel Aviv to Haifa because he could not afford life in the city.” According to Barkan, he had threatened to light himself on fire multiple times. “We felt that he was close to do it, but we didn’t know,” he added.

Activists are planning to march from Silman’s home to the Haifa municipality tomorrow.

Earlier on Saturday, thousands of Israelis gathered in several cities throughout the country to mark one year since the start of the social protests.

Thousands protested in Tel Aviv, while hundreds took to the streets in Haifa, Be'er Sheva, Jerusalem, and Afula.

Daphni Leef, the woman who launched the social protest, told Haaretz on Saturday that one year later, the activists' message hasn't changed.

"We want a fair society," she said. "Today we are also celebrating. Suddenly, when people take to the streets they understand that they have power and that they are right."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/nationa...-fire-during-tel-aviv-social-protest-1.451041

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunger is the biggest enemy of the people. Unemployment is increasing due to the latest machinery.
One machine is able to do work of 1000 people, hence 999 people are unemployed due to one machinery.
World should take step for the betterment of the people.

Should you be allowed to shoot to kill a man who's in the process of incineration-in-vivo? It's clearly humanitarian than letting him turn into a steak, and general good fun for the crowd.

he should have moved back to his real home in poland instead of setting himself on fire....

And how do you know he is from Poland? you picked the right avatar for yourself. probably have the same intelligent as homer character.

And how do you know he is from Poland? you picked the right avatar for yourself. probably have the same intelligent as homer character.
Please remind us of the percentage of Israelis with second passport, and the percentage of Israelis that are Ashkenazi (European) or from other parts of Middle East compared to native Jews

it is serious. i dont believe this for a man to burn himself things must be very bad down there and this happened before the egyptian and tunisuan revolution
i wonder will this be a real revolution or not

Back
Top Bottom