What's new

ISRO RLV-LEX autonomous landing mission

If you're unwilling to listen to experts them no one can help you. Never go to a doctor whenever you get sick, just do whatever feels right, ok guy?
No need to get sentimental mate.
Not that you deserve a technical response but for the broader audiences' sake: it's coming in fast because:
A. It's a tailless Delta configuration like the shuttle so it has higher landing speeds and/or higher angle of attacks.
B. It has gained a lot of kinetic energy in its flight and bleeding off that energy requires S-maneuvers, which are either not implemented yet or are not very effective at this scale.
Now that you have explained it with a bit of arrogance i stillI thank you for that. It is indeed a limitation of tailess configiration. You are also right that it needs to bleed off energy it gained therefore a mechanism is needed which to me doesn't seem very effective at this stage. So what wrong did I suggest that I need to go to see a doctor?
If anything the higher speed makes the landing even more impressive.
It's all about a safe landing.

Well then you haven't seen good landings I'm afraid. Unless your pilot is a former rikshaw driver that's not how you stop anything on a runway.
In case you missed it, there are no passengers, this is a satellite launch vehicle and most importantly a scaled-down version. So, I'm sorry if the drone pilot decided to swerve a bit to make it stop earlier, next time we will ask for a perfect landing because Sir. Adelphi didn't like the way the pilot swerved.

In case you missed it, there are no passengers, this is a satellite launch vehicle and most importantly a scaled-down version. So, I'm sorry if the drone pilot decided to swerve a bit to make it stop earlier, next time we will ask for a perfect landing because Sir. Adelphi didn't like the way the pilot swerved.
I have a better suggestion. Hire a proper drone pilot & not a former rikshaw driver. Why make a product look bad by hiring a person not meant for the job.

Great achievement! Congratulations!
Big lesson for Us where military is controlling every institution at the name of good administration.

Yes indeed :)

this was just a tech demo scaled down version, can't wait for the real thing.

and then, next step is a desi manned space shuttle !

I think they might do few more tests of this scaled version, before they build the full scale right?

I wonder though, even US ditched the space shuttle concept. How far are we going to have success and issues here?

I think they might do few more tests of this scaled version, before they build the full scale right?

I wonder though, even US ditched the space shuttle concept. How far are we going to have success and issues here?
US does seem to have ditched/retired the manned shuttle and have been using soyuz? and ESA for manned rocket and reentry to and from the ISS, right ?

dunno what this tech demo was for, maybe they're planning some X37b type secret mission mini drone shuttle ? .. who knows :undecided:

primarily military application one can guess, and any indigenous gen. purpose uses discovered from it will be much downstream from here.

der but durust !

US does seem to have ditched/retired the manned shuttle and have been using soyuz? and ESA for manned rocket and reentry to and from the ISS, right ?

dunno what this tech demo was for, maybe they're planning some X37b type secret mission mini drone shuttle ? .. who knows :undecided:

primarily military application one can guess, and any indigenous gen. purpose uses discovered from it will be much downstream from here.

der but durust !
Yes and do you know the reason for them ditching it? They found it cost prohibitive, if I remember it correctly. Yes they are now dependent on Soyuz modules, to take stuff to ISS.

Don't think this is a X37b styled one, this is a ISRO idea actually.

While SpaceX went with self landing rockets, ISRO went the other way. It's been some years, since they announced this. Now we are seeing a working demo.

Supposed to help with reducing launch of satellites, then help with our space station (planned or more like envisaged for now, editing before someone latches on to this word saying we don't have one now lol) too in future.

I have full confidence on ISRO but, it has to be cost effective to compete with SpaceX.

Probably autonomous. Looks too perfect for a human. But that's just my feeling.
I imagine ISRO is full of test pilots

manned one's ka time jab aayenga, it'll be military fast guys at the controls.

Yes and do you know the reason for them ditching it? They found it cost prohibitive, if I remember it correctly. Yes they are now dependent on Soyuz modules, to take stuff to ISS.

Don't think this is a X37b styled one, this is a ISRO idea actually.

While SpaceX went with self landing rockets, ISRO went the other way. It's been some years, since they announced this. Now we are seeing a working demo.

Supposed to help with reducing launch of satellites, then help with our space station too in future.

I have full confidence on ISRO but, it has to be cost effective to compete with SpaceX.
They're a decent cheap alternative for space launches so far, SpaceX is of course much ahead but ours in not entirely a commercial venture with this reentry shuttle thing.

ISRO toh abhi experimantal student project sats bhi launch kar rahe hai, which is very nice <3

agree, they going well.. far may they reach ! :super:

Last edited:
Probably autonomous. Looks too perfect for a human. But that's just my feeling.
You are right, it is a autonomous landing. Straight from horse's mouth, released from a Chinook helicopter from a height of 4.5 km.

https://www.isro.gov.in/Reusable_la...conducted the Reusable,hours on April 2, 2023.

I imagine ISRO is full of test pilots

manned one's ka time jab aayenga, it'll be military fast guys at the controls.

They're a decent cheap alternative for space launches so far, SpaceX is of course much ahead but ours in not entirely a commercial venture with this reentry shuttle thing.

ISRO toh abhi experimantal student project sats bhi launch kar rahe hai, which is very nice <3

agree, they going well.. far may they reach ! :super:
Well it all depends on funding doesn't it? ISRO never got too many funds, so they have to make do.

I wish they start to get more funding though, to aim for bigger things.

While it may sound Sci-fi now, won't take long before space mining becomes reality. We shouldn't be left out of it, and then try to hitch a ride with someone who will milk us for money. Is happening in Defence sector till date.

While it may sound Sci-fi now, won't take long before space mining becomes reality. We shouldn't be left out of it, and then try to hitch a ride with someone who will milk us for money. Is happening in Defence sector till date.
what cannot be cured must be endured

what cannot be cured must be endured
Baba ji ki jai ho - acha gyan hai :lol:

Sad but true, don't know when our Govt and institutions will get their act right, when it comes to R&D and find solution for delays.

Back
Top Bottom