Delhi. Monti also said that his foreign
minister Giulio Terzi had
resigned with motives not just
limited to the marines issue. The premier, who himself was sworn in to replace
Terzi as interim foreign minister, gave more details
behind the tangled diplomatic row, which Monti
said risked ruining relations with key trade allies in
the developing world but denied that economics
was a factor in the decision-making process. Monti said he was "stunned" by Terzi's decision to
step down, adding that his former chief diplomat
gave no warning he would quit on Tuesday, and
that his real aim was "to achieve another end that
may become clearer in the near future," avoiding a
more direct accusation, Italian news agency INSA said. On Tuesday, Terzi abruptly resigned claiming that
his voice went "unheard" as the caretaker cabinet
decided to send back the two marines —
Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone — 10
days after it reneged on a pledge to return the two
men who had been granted a four-week leave. Monti, addressing both Houses of Parliament last
night, stressed on the diplomatic stakes. "There
were serious and objective risks that Italy would
find itself isolated in the international community," if
it had failed to ensure the pair returned to India,
Monti said. "It would have opened a crisis of serious proportions with India". Monti said that since the pair had been returned
relations had improved between the two countries
that should lead to "a quick solution".

http://m.timesofindia.com/world/europe/We-risked-getting-isolated-Italian-PM-on-marines-issue/articleshow/19259241.cms

I think we should see it as a healthy relation with Italy for keeping the promise, does not matter they went somewhere wrong on path and little pressure was to be built. But everything should be done to extend the relations for strategic partnership. At least the trust is maintained.

I think we should see it as a healthy relation with Italy for keeping the promise, does not matter they went somewhere wrong on path and little pressure was to be built. But everything should be done to extend the relations for strategic partnership. At least the trust is maintained.

I doubt that the trust is still on the same level before they announced that the marines wont come back.

@arp2041 Where are you ? Time to laugh at people who were laughing at us that day. :D

But I leave them. They can't say a word.

:lol: Fck you Krait.

Anyway I commend India, ya really showed diplomatic gall by detaining their diplomat and everything but my question for you krait is did the congress government only act because of the huge public backlash along with the elections on the horizon?? Or is this going to be the time when 100 years from now people will look back and say, "this was the moment India realized its true potential"??

Last edited by a moderator:
Now whatever is done is done, leave the past behind and move towards future. There is a story which I have been hearing since my childhood. When a rope breaks, there will be joints no matter ho neatly you try to make disappear them. Same is the case here. World is not going to end here. We should also move on but with full strength and consciousnesses. I hate to say but from few days I am reading in news papers that Kerala politicians are becoming hawkish day by day. When we see that things are happening bad even when situation is delicate, we tend to close our eyes. And that is where politicians try to exploit our weak nerve. It happens over and over, not only in Kerala but in other parts of country. Can anyone explain why do we allow ourselves to be used as something so weak that we become venerable?

@KingMamba93 Its the new awakening. Return of Public outrage and demand for justice. Its about Indians started to realize that we HAVE to stand together under one name. India First.

You saw what happened in Delhi Rape Case. It changed everything.

But nothing substantial. More work is needed to be done. I am not convinced but this is glimmer of hope.

Hope that the present youth and coming generation will be more concerned about our country and our self respect.

And we will not let it go down.

Abhi to shuru hua hai......:D

@KingMamba93 Its the new awakening. Return of Public outrage and demand for justice. Its about Indians started to realize that we HAVE to stand together under one name. India First.

You saw what happened in Delhi Rape Case. It changed everything.

But nothing substantial. More work is needed to be done. I am not convinced but this is glimmer of hope.

Hope that the present youth and coming generation will be more concerned about our country and our self respect.

And we will not let it go down.

Abhi to shuru hua hai......:D

Yes but if Congress wins elections they may just go back to their cowering methods. :coffee:

What impresses me most from this news is that the Italians were clearly convinced India was willing and ready to cut ties with Italy and this threat terrified the Italians into action. I think this incident may well be a watershed moment in the eyes of Indian politicians and diplomats, in the past there is no doubt nations wouldn't have batted an eyelid when India was raging and threatening this and that, now the Italians backed down within days. The Italians aren't exactly featherweights themselves, they have serious economic and military might on their side, for a nation like this to bow to Indian pressure is significant.

India is big power now ..it could convince the world to hate Italy.....

India's foreign policy in recent times has been by and large independent of the internal politics. When it comes to dealing with external forces the country is united in general.

Indeed, much like in the US (that too has crazy internal politics) the Indian foreign ministry/MEA is completely removed from political affiliations or political demands. They leave politics alone and politicians leave them alone. Long may this be the sitiuation, this way the Indian diplomats are working 100% for their nation and not for the incumbent party.

This is good, India going one on one with a western power. Makers of some of the best stuff in the world.

Maybe now western people will forget this little piece of water called south chin......

Keep going I support this, maybe jail their diplomat if the marines don't come back :devil:

This is good, India going one on one with a western power. Makers of some of the best stuff in the world.

Maybe now western people will forget this little piece of water called south chin......

Keep going I support this, maybe jail their diplomat if the marines don't come back :devil:

One of the funniest parts of this incident was that the Western world didn't give two hoots about the whole "scandel". They well and truly left Italy out to dry and went about their own business.

Back
Top Bottom