What's new

Italy pays $380,000 to families of dead Indian fishermen

guys lets not indulge in petty mud slinging. in both cases innocent Indians and pakistanis were killed, have some dignity please.

Well, they did. And the pakistan government accepted it and let the killer go home. So there are prices for human lives in some places. In saudi arabia, there are even fixed rates depending on who is killed - a man's life is worth more than a woman's, a muslim's more than a hindu's and so on.

no female the families accepted the money n us citizenship not the gov....... if ur a muslim hope u know abt the blood money clause which is a part of our legal system aswell.

Well, isn't that exactly what they did in Raymond Davies' case? The pakistan government and the victims' families accepted it and let the killer go home. So there are prices for human lives in some places. In saudi arabia, there are even fixed rates depending on who is killed - a man's life is worth more than a woman's, a muslim's more than a hindu's and so on.
Yes Indeed which is sad but at the end of the day he would have gotten away one way or another.He had backing of entire diplomatic corps of US So it's still better that now their family can easily survive as they got huge sum of 2.3 Million $.

i want to know if this mean that Italians will be freed? Also i want to know if any person kill someone in international waters does this mean that no country has jurisdiction over it?

No, they won't be freed. The government of kerala is still taking them to court.

The second question is difficult to answer. Maritime laws haven't been formulated too clearly so far. If the incident happens ON a ship, the laws of the country that the shipe flies a flag of will apply. (Indian laws apply on Indian flagged ships, and so on.) But what happens when an incident like this happens is questionable. Italy is arguing that it should be Italy who tries them, but Kerala govt doesn't agree.

no female the families accepted the money n us citizenship not the gov....... if ur a muslim hope u know abt the blood money clause which is a part of our legal system aswell.

Well male, I know about the blood money clause, and I believe it is outrageously unfair. The points I made are true, as you know. The amount of fine ("blood money") to be paid depends on the gender and religion of the victim.

(I don't want to bring my gender or religion into it.)

Is it me, or has Italy over paid here?

Anyway glad this episode is over now.

Don't fret. They will just make it back in the next defence deal ;)

I wonder how much of this money actually reached the families and how much was gobbled up in bribes by the police, politicians, middlemen... In india, you are expected to cough up money to people, even if you are collecting your PF money after retirement. Happened to my dad, true story.

Power of Indian diplomacy- Italians are so worried about not upsetting GoI that they made this gesture after trying to get out of it.

Italy has over paid goes to show the high level of indian diplomacy. But ironically, even Indian government wont pay more then a buck to civilians who are murdered in protests.

No, they won't be freed. The government of kerala is still taking them to court.

The second question is difficult to answer. Maritime laws haven't been formulated too clearly so far. If the incident happens ON a ship, the laws of the country that the shipe flies a flag of will apply. (Indian laws apply on Indian flagged ships, and so on.) But what happens when an incident like this happens is questionable. Italy is arguing that it should be Italy who tries them, but Kerala govt doesn't agree.

Maritime laws are clear enough ..If the incident happens in Indian territorial waters ..Indian laws will apply....in International waters the flag state laws will be applicable.

On the ship ultimate responsibility rests with the Captain of the ship ...If a vessel opens fire on another ..it is always as per Captains orders...In addition to the ,person who opened fire..the Captain off the vessel is also put behind bars.

While Italians might have try the Marines for Manslaughter,if acquitted by Indian courts for lack of jurisdiction...if proven thay the incident took place more 12 NM from Indian base line.

at least this will give some relief for the families of the two fisher men . while this will never bring back their loved ones it will at least not put them out financially .

it's funny because the indians on PDF were trying to pull a number and mock Pakistan for releasing that guy Raymond ''Davis'' after his government paid the families of the victims he murdered in broad daylight

(a release condition I was passionately opposed to)

it's funny because the indians on PDF were trying to pull a number and mock Pakistan for releasing that guy Raymond ''Davis'' after his government paid the families of the victims he murdered in broad daylight

(a release condition I was passionately opposed to)

But do you see the difference? The Kerala govt hasn't withdrawn their case and the marines are still behind bars.

Under Indian law, which is quite different from American law - even if the family members decided not to pursue charges, it does not mean that the govt. would want to do the same. The views of the state and central govt. too could be different. And if released by the govt. then the judiciary can take suo moto action. Pasta boys are here for a while.

Notwithstanding the compensation of Rs one crore to the families of two fishermen allegedly killed by two Italian marines, the Ministry of External Affairs today said the detention case against those two Italians will continue.

Reiterating India's position that it has the jurisdiction over the matter, official spokesperson in the MEA Syed Akbaruddin said there is a case in the Supreme Court over the jurisdiction of Indian law over the detention of two Italians and until the Court decides on it, the case will continue.

Detention case against Italian marines to continue: MEA - The Economic Times

But do you see the difference? The Kerala govt hasn't withdrawn their case and the marines are still behind bars.
There is a huge difference. Here the money is not paid to release the italians. It was only paid to withdraw the compensation claim by victim's family. & in return Italians got a letter from the family saying In the name of Jesus they will pardon the criminals. Now.. that letter will be submitted to the court to show leniency towards the italians in their case! It's entirely upto the courts now..

Back
Top Bottom