Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
MAY 22, 2014
Japan Times

w3-jvietmeet-a-20140523-870x611.jpg

Vietnam's Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam (left) greets Prime Minister Shinzo Abe as they meet in Tokyo on Thursday. | AP

Japan and Vietnam agreed Thursday to enhance bilateral cooperation on maritime security, criticizing China for increasingly assertive actions that have led to clashes between Chinese and Vietnamese vessels in the South China Sea.

“I am concerned about tensions in the region resulting from China’s unilateral drilling activity,” Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said at a meeting with Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam in Tokyo, according to the Japanese Foreign Ministry.

“Japan will continue to underscore the importance of observing law and being ruled by law,” Abe said.

Dam expressed appreciation for Japan’s support, saying Hanoi has been making diplomatic efforts to peacefully resolve the issue and calling for Tokyo’s continued support, the ministry said.

The meeting came after China increased tensions in the sea by deploying an oil rig off the Paracel Islands, which Vietnam also claims, leading to physical clashes between Chinese and Vietnamese vessels.

The development has added to Japan’s concern about Chinese maritime policy at a time when Beijing is regularly sending patrol ships into the territorial waters around the Japan-administered Senkaku Islands, a group of uninhibited islets that it and Taiwan also claim, in the East China Sea.

Abe briefed Dam on Japan’s “policy of proactive contribution to global peace and stability based on international cooperation.”

Dam, who was visiting Japan to attend a forum in Tokyo, conveyed a message from Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung expressing that the Southeast Asian country endorses Abe’s policy.

The deputy prime minister also asked for Japanese companies to continue investing in Vietnam.

The clashes in the South China Sea have triggered violent anti-China riots in Vietnam in which some Japanese businesses were mistakenly attacked.

While Abe asked the Vietnamese government to protect Japanese companies in the country, Dam said the government has taken steps to prevent the violence from recurring.

Also Thursday, government sources said Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida is planning to visit Vietnam from late June to early July to promote cooperation on maritime security in the East and South China seas.

At the meeting in Hanoi, Kishida and Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minster Pham Binh Minh are likely to agree to speed up consultations on Japan’s provision of patrol ships to Vietnam to address China’s maritime assertiveness in the South China Sea, the sources said.

In reference to China’s muscle-flexing in both bodies of water, Kishida and Minh are expected to affirm that Tokyo and Hanoi will not tolerate any attempt to alter the status quo through coercion or force, according to the sources.

The two ministers are also likely to agree to increase communications with the Philippines and other members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations to keep Beijing’s territorial ambitions in check, they said.

Claiming the South China Sea almost entirely, Beijing has been asserting control over the land features and waters encompassed by its U-shaped “nine-dash line” in territorial disputes with Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam.

Kishida and Minh are likely to agree to urge 10-member ASEAN and other regional powers at a regional security forum slated for early August in Myanmar to act in unison in addressing China’s moves.

Kishida might visit Cambodia as well, according to the sources.

Japan, Vietnam blame China for maritime tensions | The Japan Times

Last update 16:37 | 23/05/2014
Japan likely to provide patrol ships for Vietnam

VietNamNet Bridge – Vietnam and Japan are likely to agree to speed up consultations on Japan 's provision of patrol ships for Vietnam to better cope with China 's rising maritime assertiveness in the East Sea.
The agreement is expected to be reached during a meeting in Hanoi between Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minster Pham Binh Minh and Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, Kyodo news agency quoted a source from the Japanese Government as saying.
Kishida is planning to visit Vietnam from late June to early July to promote cooperation in ensuring maritime security in the East Sea and the East China Sea, the source said on May 22.
The two FMs are expected to affirm that Tokyo and Hanoi will never tolerate any attempt to alter the status quo through coercion or force, it added.
They are also likely to reach a consensus on the increase of communications with the Philippines and other members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to deal with Beijing's territorial ambitions.
Minh and Kishida will agree to urge ASEAN and regional powers at a regional security forum slated for early August in Myanmar to act in unison over China’s moves.
Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam, in his interview granted to Reuters in Tokyo on May 22, said Vietnam is closely watching how the Philippines fares in an international court over its maritime territorial dispute with China.
He affirmed that Vietnam will use all measures provided by international law to protect its legitimate interests.
During his meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Tokyo the same day, Dam thanked Japan and other countries for raising their voices against China’s acts.
He reiterated that Vietnam will not join forces with any ally but it wishes to receive continue support and assistance from Japan and other countries to enhance the protection of its waters.
Source: Vietnam Plus.

News VietNamNet

At a May 15 news conference, Shinzo Abe says Japan Constitution allows the Armed Forces to help nations with which Japan has “close ties.”

Can´t expect to see the Armed Forces of Vietnam and Japan to fight side by side, should China begin to attack anyone of us.

They can only whine and bitch.

Once there are sizeable numbers of Type-55 destroyer, probably the most powerful destroyer on the planet when in service, they will know who is boss.

I have no respect for Asian traitors.

Learn how to live friendly with our Indian friends, instead of trying to lick shoes of the chinese. I am sure that your country does not get much benefit from china as you desire unless you give them oilfields and natural resources of your country.

Learn how to live friendly with our Indian friends, instead of trying to lick shoes of the chinese. I am sure that your country does not get much benefit from china as you desire unless you give them oilfields and natural resources of your country.

Indians are not people to be respected - they are not a nation anyway but a collection of nations that has been constructed into a legal entity.

Like I say, Asian traitors are not to be respected in any way.

Indians are not people to be respected - they are not a nation anyway but a collection of nations that has been constructed into a legal entity.

Like I say, Asian traitors are not to be respected in any way.

My asian friend, IF your country is located next to china, I am sure that your country will be bullied by them, and a worse scenario, they have annexed your country from the centuries ago (and now you're fighting like the Uighurs, Tibetan...)
So let's take care of your country instead of snooping into East Asia, where you are not able to understand it well.

My asian friend, IF your country is located next to china, I am sure that your country will be bullied by them, and a worse scenario, they have annexed your country from the centuries ago (and now you're fighting like the Uighurs, Tibetan...)
So let's take care of your country instead of snooping into East Asia, where you are not able to understand it well.

We are taking care of our country but it is hard with the unwanted Indian interference.

Our only chance to escape Indian interference is the continued rise of China. We support China as it directly benefits us:D

My suggestion to you, for your own good, is to understand that China will be the one hegemon on the Asian continent soon and to come to a compromise with them, and stop fantasising that the US can ever come from across the Pacific Ocean to save you against China.

If US didn't help Chinese on expense of Japanese during WW2, you wouldn't even exist as a race. Maybe time to show some respect.
:rofl: Nothing can compare to the way we vanquished your cousins in Xinjiang and now we rule them with an iron fist and jackboots.

We are taking care of our country but it is hard with the unwanted Indian interference.

Our only chance to escape Indian interference is the continued rise of China. We support China as it directly benefits us:D

My suggestion to you, for your own good, is to understand that China will be the one hegemon on the Asian continent soon and to come to a compromise with them, and stop fantasising that the US can ever come from across the Pacific Ocean to save you against China.

To be honest, the countries using cards to play against each other. China, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam ... we are playing cards the same.
Status of Bangladesh is quite similar to Vietnam, but Vietnam in status more difficult by China's aggression and ambition in sea.

We will not do against China if they respect our integrity of territory, and they know how to match with the international laws which they have signed.

China will not be able to reach over South Asia until our Indian friends are still there. Calm down if I break your dream, my asian friend.

LOL, Vietnam find a new master. Remind VN alliance history, r u sure to find new loser again ?

Blame China can not do anything, when Japan can provide VN billions $ and dozens of DDGs, then call China ! Consider Sino-Japan trade, if Japan can risk to lose hundred billion $ trade and China market, they will be true friend for VN.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom