What's new

Jinnah Naval Base (JNB) - Ormara

JNB Ormara will eventually be the Big Diamond in the Pakistan Navy's neckless! I was there in 2012 as well. Not much has happened in the last two years on the base mainly because of lack of funds from Government of Pakistan. JNB is a totally independent project and its funding is approved directly by the National Security Council. PM Nawaz Sharif has to approve the JNB projected budget of roughly around US$100M prior to we seeing good things happening there.

and they should sell the present P3C's to Burma....right..?:what:
No... Not at all. Only 4 F-22Ps and 2 FAC if they are getting US equipments.

As we don't know whether UK or France or even US gets on our side anytime soon so we should opt for their old equipment with upgrades for free then sell of those which we don't want it.

Last edited:
National

Navy diffusing its strength towards Balochistan coast
Plan to move submarines, destroyers, frigates to Ormara

Tehmina Qureshi
Saturday, April 19, 2014

Karachi: The Pakistan Navy is in the process of diffusing its strength and assets away from Karachi and towards the Balochistan coast.

The force is moving away from Karachi for a number of strategic and practical reasons.Firstly, the movement of navy’s machinery in restricted by heavy commercial activities at the Karachi port. Another factor is the extent of pollution in water surrounding the city’s coast which reduces the metallurgic life of battleships by at least 10 to 15 years.

Moreover, according to navy officials, from now on all the residential schemes for navy officers will be built at the Jinnah Naval Base in Ormara, which was set up in 2000, because there does not seem to be any more space left in Karachi.“There is too much commercial activity around Karachi,” said Commander Coast Rear Admiral Syed Arifullah Hussaini.

“The coast has become saturated with too much commercial activity and restricts the movement of navy ships and machinery. Also, the water is so polluted that it makes our ships and other machinery expire at least 10 to 15 years before time.”

However, elaborating on the subject, Rear Admiral Hussaini also alluded to a strategic reason behind this move. He said it was unwise to saturate all the naval assets in Karachi.For one, it was already near the “enemy’s” reach. Keeping all the assets in and around Karachi, which is the biggest economic hub of the country, would make for an easy target in case of any unfortunate incident. “It makes us vulnerable and a sitting target in case of an attack,” he said.

Keeping this in mind, the force will move all five of its operational submarines to Ormara, along with its 10 destroyer frigates, except the ones guarding defences around Karachi and other areas, other officials in the force told The News.

This is also why the force is strengthening its presence in Ormara and is deploying more officers and sailors there, they said.“We plan to equip the Ormara base as another hub for the naval activities so that we don’t have to rely only on Karachi during peace or war times,” said Admiral Hussaini, adding that Ormara was an ideal place for setting up surveillance radars due to its height which increased their range by at least 50 kilometres. Then the geographical features of the area, especially the rocky hills, acted as natural breakwaters for the base, he said.

However, he pointed out that the establishing a base in Ormara also meant that the Pakistan Navy got the opportunity to develop a whole area in general.Meanwhile, other navy officials told The News that the force was focusing on “asymmetric” warfare and was strengthening defences along the coastline to prevent terrorist or pirate attacks via the sea. This is also why the force was focusing on training and activities pertaining to rescue and combat via small speed boats and helicopters.(GR Cutters)

“The Pakistan Navy is rigorously participating in anti-piracy activities with other countries and this is why the menace has almost been eradicated from the region between Gulf and Karachi,” said Commander West, Commodore Naghman Chaudhry. “We are also doing exercises with other Nato countries from the coast of Bahrain.” Talking about the Gwadar port, he said it was a natural deep sea port and will be a game changer in the region.

Diffusing assets to Ormara is also being done in the background of providing security to the under-construction port in Balochistan, other navy officials said.“Gwadar is a natural deep sea port and will change the whole economic scenario of the region,” said Commander Chaudhry. “The Pakistan Navy will provide security to the port and it will be easier with the Jinnah Naval Base in Ormara,” he added.

Always wanted to visit Balochistan , but because of Security issue i cant ....
really wish that got some close relatives or friend in Army who invite me ... and show me all these awesome places :D
nice pics , @fatman17 , besides the base PN is building , they must be helping locals in providing them jobs etc ...
and the sea and mountains are beautiful ...

@DESERT FIGHTER you these places ? have you been there ?

Always wanted to visit Balochistan , but because of Security issue i cant ....
really wish that got some close relatives or friend in Army who invite me ... and show me all these awesome places :D
nice pics , @fatman17 , besides the base PN is building , they must be helping locals in providing them jobs etc ...
and the sea and mountains are beautiful ...

@DESERT FIGHTER you these places ? have you been there ?

local civilians are getting jobs. there is a housing scheme planned for them off-base. cadet college and hospital has also opened. much more infrastructure is being planned.

local civilians are getting jobs. there is a housing scheme planned for them off-base. cadet college and hospital has also opened. much more infrastructure is being planned.

that is why i loved our Armed forces , they are the only institution in Pakistan who actually deliver to common man ... best of luck , hope to see a well established Balochistan , and its peoples getting proper education , food , shelter , medical facilities etc...

I think if Pak can welcome Middle East investors to invest in Balochistan coastal areas for making new cities in Gwadar, Pasni, Ormara, Jiwani and other areas of coastal Balochistan and also lending money and resources to build Naval bases along with the ports in these coastal cities then all will be changed for ever.

Good news this would definitely reduce the burden on Karachi and reduce the chances of a blockade in case of a war in future.
I hope funds wont be a problem...

Only one ship to protect Karachi?? :what: at least 2 ships with 4 to 6 Azmat class boats will be needed to protect Karachi with mine sweepers, MPAs and land based assets like C-602s, even that will be only allow PN some defensive posturing in our EEZ.

You don't protect shore installations with surface vessels. They'll be sitting ducks.

Nothing said about the navel air arm, would they stay in Karachi or they would be moved as well?

So this means no air arm and no vessels in Karachi apart from 1. This isn't enough to protect our economic hub keeping in mind it would be the first thing that our adversary's navy would attack.

Back
Top Bottom