What's new

Kalyan Das Temple - Rawalpindi

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
A trek through the old areas of Rawalpindi reveals many examples of old architecture: silent testimonies of our heritage narrating tales of our past, stories of our land. Unfortunately, these exponents of our history are in a state of utter neglect.

In the middle of the area that is commonly known as Kohati Bazaar, one can see the dome of a temple which is almost blinded by the high walls of an academic institution. Here stands one of the beautiful, historic landmarks of the city: Kalyan Das Temple.

Outside this building, one can see a board for the Government Qandeel Secondary School for visually impaired children. On entering the main gate of the school, one is confronted with the sight of a magnificent architectural form which stands right in the middle of the school courtyard.

This temple was named after a generous resident of Rawalpindi, Kalyan Das, who laid its foundation stone in the 1850s. The temple is said to be completed in 1880 and is believed to have had more than 100 rooms, spread over an area of about seven acres, besides a vast pond around the main temple building.

During the Partition of India, Kalyan Das Temple was left abandoned as the Hindu population left the city. The beautiful paintings engraved on the walls are fading away; the damp roof of the main architecture pours in rainy days. The rooms of the main complex are used as store rooms. The idols are missing but their marks attract visitors. The many spires in the temple complex are still imposing but 60 years of neglect has made them colourless. The white paint used to brighten the complex has, in fact, buried its original floral work.

In 1956, it was taken over by the Auqaf Department and survived as a place of worship until 1958 when a school for the blind, started by Begum Farooqi, was shifted into the complex. At that time, it had a baradari with rooms for worshippers, a pond and an ashram.

In 1973, the school was taken over by the Punjab government. A new building was erected for the school in 1986 during the time of General Ziaul Haq and the original buildings surrounding the temple, the rooms and the pond were demolished.

The security guard at the school’s gate said that Muslims vandalised the temple at the time of Partition. In 1992, in the wake of the demolition of the historic Babri Mosque in Ayodhya (Uttar Pradesh), when several Hindu temples where demolished across Pakistan, luckily the school administration prevented this temple from meeting the same fate.

“It’s our national heritage and we should preserve it,” the security guard asserted. According to him, some people in the school’s administration are thinking of demolishing the temple to increase space for the school.

The Punjab government has constructed some new rooms and hostels for the visually impaired students and despite its decaying condition, the temple is still better preserved than others. Kalyan Das would not be annoyed with us, seeing this magnificent building being used to provide shelter to visually impaired children.

This architectural marvel is in desperate need of restoration work and the government must take notice of this. This is not just an abandoned place of worship, but also an important heritage site of the city.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 31st, 2013.

Restoring our cultural heritage isn't on our mind right now, you worry about such things when everything else is calm and rosy.

Going by the article , images & blog things have never been calm & rosy since 1947.

I really do not care about this building, put it to good use, make it into a masjid or something, if not that, then replace it with something more useful. Otherwise it's just occupying precious land.

I really do not care about this building, put it to good use, make it into a masjid or something, if not that, then replace it with something more useful. Otherwise it's just occupying precious land.

Great

Did you resent the Babri Masjid ' being made into a Temple or something or being replaced with something more useful. Otherwise it was just occupying precious land " ?

Restoring our cultural heritage isn't on our mind right now, you worry about such things when everything else is calm and rosy.
very true.....the future of the blind children is more important than religious ruins.
ibaadat/bhakti comes from the heart , it doesnt need any temple or mosque to verify the love/fear for god.
past is important. but the present and the future carries more weight imo, especially when children's future is in question.

some would say y not move the school some place away ???? to them, my simple answer is...... in this congested sub continental parts where its tuff enuf to find a decent spot to stand, schools demand more attention than mandir/masjids.

very true.....the future of the blind children is more important than religious ruins.
ibaadat/bhakti comes from the heart , it doesnt need any temple or mosque to verify the love/fear for god.
past is important. but the present and the future carries more weight imo, especially when children's future is in question.

some would say y not move the school some place away ???? to them, my simple answer is...... in this congested sub continental parts where its tuff enuf to find a decent spot to stand, schools demand more attention than mandir/masjids.

The best part is that both can happen concurrently without one eating the resources for another.

The will obviously is needed.

Going by the pictures on the blog, there is precious little left to restore.

The best part is that both can happen concurrently without one eating the resources for another.

The will obviously is needed.

Going by the pictures on the blog, there is precious little left to restore.

i missed something in my previous post : as land, common sense is also very scarce in the subcontinent.:undecided:

It is part of our heritage and should be preserved, but sadly we have bigger issues on the plate.

I think the temple should be expanded further with the temple area being made a Museum whilst the School gets a building in its vicinity without anything being demolished or severely renovated !

On a side note I wish that most of our old buildings are restored; they did that here in the Old Lahore but I dunno how far things went because even the Lahore Fort seems in shambles when one gives a visit to its famous Sheesh Mahal & sees that half the Mahal is devoid of the scintillating glass mosaic that its walls were covered with & gave the 'Sheesh' meaning 'Glass' I presume in Persian, name to it.*

Sheesha means Glass in Urdu so I think its Persian equivalent might not be too far off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom