What's new

Karachi's NED University Ranked Among World's Top 200 For Impact

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
http://www.riazhaq.com/2019/04/karachis-ned-university-ranked-among.html

N.E.D. University of Engineering and Technology (NEDUET) has been ranked among the world's top 200 universities for "impact" by Times Higher Education. The institution located in Pakistan's largest city of Karachi is ranked among 101-200 in the world. NEDUET also tops the rankings for impact among Pakistani universities included in THE 2019 rankings. The Times Higher Education (THE) University Impact Rankings assess universities against the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to provide "comprehensive and balanced comparisons across three broad areas: research, outreach, and stewardship".

Among other institutions of higher learning, the University of Agriculture Faisalabad (UAF), Ghulam Ishaq Khan (GIK) Institute of Technology and University of Veterinary Sciences Lahore are ranked among 200-300 while COMSATS and Government College University Lahore are among 301+.

Of the 17 UN SDGs, THE has evaluated university performance on 11 of them in its first edition of the ranking: SDG 3 – Good health and well-being SDG 4 – Quality education SDG 5 – Gender equality SDG 8 – Decent work and economic growth SDG 9 – Industry, innovation, and infrastructure SDG 10 – Reduced inequalities SDG 11 – Sustainable cities and communities SDG 12 – Responsible consumption and production SDG 13 – Climate action SDG 16 – Peace, justice and strong institutions SDG 17 – Partnerships for the goals.

University Impact Rankings. Source: Times Higher Education

A university’s final score in the overall table is calculated by combining its score in SDG 17 with its top three scores out of the remaining 10 SDGs. SDG 17 accounts for 22 per cent of the overall score, while the other SDGs each carry a weighting of 26 per cent. This means that different universities are scored based on a different set of SDGs, depending on their focus.

There are three categories of metrics within each SDG:

1. Research metrics are derived from data supplied by Elsevier. For each SDG, a specific query has been created that narrows the scope of the metric to papers relevant to that SDG. As with the World University Rankings, we are using a five-year window between 2013 and 2017. The only exception is the metric on patents that cite research under SDG 9, which relates to the timeframe in which the patents were published rather than the timeframe of the research itself. The metrics chosen for the bibliometrics differ by SDG and there are always at least two bibliometric measures used.

2. Continuous metrics measure contributions to impact that vary continually across a range – for example, the number of graduates with a health-related degree. These are usually normalized to the size of the institution. When we ask about policies and initiatives – for example, the existence of mentoring programs – our metrics require universities to provide the evidence to support their claims. In these cases we give credit for the evidence, and for the evidence being public. These metrics are not usually size normalized. Evidence is evaluated against a set of criteria and decisions are cross validated where there is uncertainty. Evidence is not required to be exhaustive – we are looking for examples that demonstrate best practice at the institutions concerned.

3. Timeframe Unless otherwise stated, the data used refer to the closest academic year to January to December 2017.

Related Links:

Haq's Musings

South Asia Investor Review

AI Research Lab and Startup Incubator at NED University

NED Alum Raghib Husain Sells Silicon Valley Company for $7.5 Billion

Pakistan's Research Output Growth Among World's Fastest

Pakistani Universities Ranked Among Asia's Top 500 Up from 16 to 23 in 2018

Pakistan's Tech Exports Surge Past $1 Billion in FY 2018

NED Alum Naveed Sherwani Raises $50 Million For SiFive Silicon Valley Startup

OPEN Silicon Valley Forum 2017: Pakistani Entrepreneurs Conference

Pakistani-American's Tech Unicorn Files For IPO at $1.6 Billion Valuation

Pakistani-American Cofounders Sell Startup to Cisco for $610 million

Pakistani Brothers Spawned $20 Billion Security Software Industry

Pakistani-American Ashar Aziz's Fireeye Goes Public

Pakistani-American Pioneered 3D Technology in Orthodontics

Pakistani-Americans Enabling 2nd Machine Revolution

Pakistani-American Shahid Khan Richest South Asian in America

Two Pakistani-American Silicon Valley Techs Among Top 5 VC Deals

Pakistani-American's Game-Changing Vision

Minorities Are Majority in Silicon Valley

http://www.riazhaq.com/2019/04/karachis-ned-university-ranked-among.html

The main problem that our universties face is low strength. Universities in Pakistan generally have 4000 students at max. While onaverage International universities have 15000-35000 students. That much number of students mean more funds to hire more P.hd’s, more research publications. These two points play key role in International ranking
1. How many P.hd’s you have
2. How many publication /year of university.

We see that generally Comsats come in list and NUST. Well, thats because comsats current students are 20000+ (in all campuses) similarly NUST combine strength of students is 17000+ in all campuses. Thats why we see these universties in ranking lists. We need to expand current universities and add new blocks, new departments to them. So that strength can be increased.

The main problem that our universties face is low strength. Universities in Pakistan generally have 4000 students at max. While onaverage International universities have 15000-35000 students. That much number of students mean more funds to hire more P.hd’s, more research publications. These two points play key role in International ranking
1. How many P.hd’s you have
2. How many publication /year of university.

We see that generally Comsats come in list and NUST. Well, thats because comsats current students are 20000+ (in all campuses) similarly NUST combine strength of students is 17000+ in all campuses. Thats why we see these universties in ranking lists. We need to expand current universities and add new blocks, new departments to them. So that strength can be increased.

NED University has over 12,000 students...about 9,000 undergrads and 3000+graduate students

Need to have well investment on providing scholarships to the foreign students.

More foreign Phd. students > more research > more development > more country reputation.

That is why China is giving scholarships to foreign students heavily.

NED University has over 12,000 students...about 9,000 undergrads and 3000+graduate students

Which proves my point... larger the number of students, more funds for P.hd’s, more publications... improve ranking...

Need to have well investment on providing scholarships to the foreign students.

More foreign Phd. students > more research > more development > more country reputation.

That is why China is giving scholarships to foreign students heavily.

China is in the game of influence building, because they habe sufficient seats in universities to fullfill local population needs. But that isn’t the case with Pakistan... a person with Gpa above 3 and a GAT score of 70+ along good interview, still his name came in 4th fifth merit list at NUsT and other such universities. When i applied for geology after my F.sc in Pesh university, my name was in 8th waiting list, and i have good marks in all exams. So first we fullfill our local needs, though, we can send qualified P.hd’s as skilled workers in modern indistries , as teachers and as professionals... that way our population get a cheap (low cost) degree in Pakistan as well as represent his country in world.

I applied for and gave NED entrance exam more than a decade ago. Alhumdulilah managed to secure seat in my second choice, but Allah had other plans for me and I could not attend the university.

One thing I'd like to point out that thousands of people attended the entrance exam. I'm guessing only but number must be between 3-5k but the total number of accepted students was so limited. Like 250-300 students per discipline.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom