[Kashmir]- Indian Army announces new land warfare doctrine

Sam.

Reaction score
Country
India
Indian Army announces new land warfare doctrine
Rahul Bedi, New Delhi - Jane's Defence Weekly
21 December 2018
The Indian Army (IA) is seeking to create integrated battle groups (IBGs), expand its cyber warfare capabilities, and induct energy-directed weapons as well as artificial intelligence-based systems to manage multiple security challenges, the service announced in its Land Warfare Doctrine-2018.

p1734598.jpg
IA cadets take part in a 'tactical continuity training' exercise at an officers training academy in Chennai in March 2018. The IA published its Land Warfare Doctrine-2018 in mid-December. (Arun Sankar/AFP/Getty Images)

Dated 27 November, but published in mid-December, the doctrine states that the IA will employ "composite" IBGs comprising a mix of five to six battalions to execute conventional combat operations for "greater flexibility in force application".

Each IBG, which would be larger than the existing 3,000 personnel-strong brigade but smaller than a 10,000-strong division, would be headed by a two-star officer and include infantry, armoured, artillery, air-defence, and support units, all of which would be backed by attack helicopters.

According to the doctrine, the IA's will also focus on developing cross-domain capabilities, facilitating enhanced jointness and integration among the three services, and optimising the available forces and resources "for effective and robust military responses in a future battlefield milieu".

The IA is also refining its strategies to deal with dangers emanating from "restive, complex and active" border disputes with Pakistan and China and what it referred to as "state-sponsored-terrorism from across the border".

The doctrine states that the IA will deal with "deliberate transgressions" by China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) across the disputed 4,057 km-long Line of Actual Control (LoAC) in a "firm and resolute manner" and in "consonance with existing agreements and protocols".

This comes after the IA and the PLA were embroiled in a 72 day-long stand off that ended in August 2017 at the Doklam tri-junction, which is situated along the disputed borders between India, China and Bhutan. The IA is of the view that it faced down the PLA at the time.

The doctrine also states that the IA will continue to carry out counter-insurgency (COIN) operations against Pakistan to "ensure deterrence through punitive measures" such as the September 2016 cross-border 'surgical strike' carried out by IA special forces against suspected militants in the disputed border region of Kashmir.

https://www.janes.com/article/85381/indian-army-announces-new-land-warfare-doctrine

@hellfire @Joe Shearer @jbgt90 @Nilgiri what do you guys think?

The doctrine states that the IA will deal with "deliberate transgressions" by China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) across the disputed 4,057 km-long Line of Actual Control (LoAC) in a "firm and resolute manner" and in "consonance with existing agreements and protocols".

cant fire at them because of known consequences.
Firm manner means getting kicked by kungfu users.

21 December 2018
The Indian Army (IA) is seeking to create integrated battle groups (IBGs), expand its cyber warfare capabilities, and induct energy-directed weapons as well as artificial intelligence-based systems to manage multiple security challenges, the service announced in its Land Warfare Doctrine-2018.

p1734598.jpg
IA cadets take part in a 'tactical continuity training' exercise at an officers training academy in Chennai in March 2018. The IA published its Land Warfare Doctrine-2018 in mid-December. (Arun Sankar/AFP/Getty Images)

Dated 27 November, but published in mid-December, the doctrine states that the IA will employ "composite" IBGs comprising a mix of five to six battalions to execute conventional combat operations for "greater flexibility in force application".

Each IBG, which would be larger than the existing 3,000 personnel-strong brigade but smaller than a 10,000-strong division, would be headed by a two-star officer and include infantry, armoured, artillery, air-defence, and support units, all of which would be backed by attack helicopters.

According to the doctrine, the IA's will also focus on developing cross-domain capabilities, facilitating enhanced jointness and integration among the three services, and optimising the available forces and resources "for effective and robust military responses in a future battlefield milieu".

The IA is also refining its strategies to deal with dangers emanating from "restive, complex and active" border disputes with Pakistan and China and what it referred to as "state-sponsored-terrorism from across the border".

This comes after the IA and the PLA were embroiled in a 72 day-long stand off that ended in August 2017 at the Doklam tri-junction, which is situated along the disputed borders between India, China and Bhutan. The IA is of the view that it faced down the PLA at the time.

The doctrine also states that the IA will continue to carry out counter-insurgency (COIN) operations against Pakistan to "ensure deterrence through punitive measures" such as the September 2016 cross-border 'surgical strike' carried out by IA special forces against suspected militants in the disputed border region of Kashmir.

https://www.janes.com/article/85381/indian-army-announces-new-land-warfare-doctrine

Off the top of my head, this is exactly what is needed, except that there is no sign of Ground Attack squadrons and no sign of speeding up logistics to match the speed of the advance. If there is no mechanism to supply the ubiquitous beans, bullets and black oil that make an army able to move around, and if there is no mechanism to rush the wounded and injured to points where they will receive immediate treatment, speeding up the formation itself means little. Further, having come to want to integrate attack helicopters into their formations, what stopped them from going that one step more and integrating fixed wing aircraft specially tasked for ground attack and, separately, for interception with these formations? If they are going to be sized midway between Brigade levels and Division levels, and with a two-star general in command, these new IBGs deserve their integral air components, headed by Wing Commanders and Group Captains; perfectly feasible.

As for the view that the IA 'faced down' the PLA, I've never heard more dangerous nonsense in my life. It is not that we have to listen to the baying of the Internet Chinaman, it is not that there was not a face-off; it is simply that strategically, logistically, and topographically, we have to think things through far more to be able to ensure an honorable draw. A victory is a laughable proposition.

Off the top of my head, this is exactly what is needed, except that there is no sign of Ground Attack squadrons and no sign of speeding up logistics to match the speed of the advance. If there is no mechanism to supply the ubiquitous beans, bullets and black oil that make an army able to move around, and if there is no mechanism to rush the wounded and injured to points where they will receive immediate treatment, speeding up the formation itself means little. Further, having come to want to integrate attack helicopters into their formations, what stopped them from going that one step more and integrating fixed wing aircraft specially tasked for ground attack and, separately, for interception with these formations? If they are going to be sized midway between Brigade levels and Division levels, and with a two-star general in command, these new IBGs deserve their integral air components, headed by Wing Commanders and Group Captains; perfectly feasible.

As for the view that the IA 'faced down' the PLA, I've never heard more dangerous nonsense in my life. It is not that we have to listen to the baying of the Internet Chinaman, it is not that there was not a face-off; it is simply that strategically, logistically, and topographically, we have to think things through far more to be able to ensure an honorable draw. A victory is a laughable proposition.
Logistics is always nightmare for us and that is one of the main reason our lagging in western front. Despite having numerical superiority we couldn't deploy in time while Pakistan is just right there.

I think it's time we should prioritize on small scale industries but that will never happen as they are just small fishes which will be eaten by big fishes who are proving for Ministers pocket.

Logistics is always nightmare for us and that is one of the main reason our lagging in western front. Despite having numerical superiority we couldn't deploy in time while Pakistan is just right there.

I think it's time we should prioritize on small scale industries but that will never happen as they are just small fishes which will be eaten by big fishes who are proving for Ministers pocket.

So true, so true...this latest Ambani escapade makes me sick to my stomach [Disclaimer: I have NOTHING to do with the Congress Party].

So true, so true...this latest Ambani escapade makes me sick to my stomach [Disclaimer: I have NOTHING to do with the Congress Party].
You have to say that in the end explains BJP IT cells psyops has been wonderfully implemented. I will come back to you about Reliance relation even to pentagon and USA coup in India (2014) and nobody even talk about it. :D

Good day to yous sir, gotta go now.

21 December 2018

p1734598.jpg

Will respond in detail after my sabbatical. Have to travel around quite a bit. :undecided:

Sunning my winter stuff.:rolleyes1:

This concept seems to be a mere re-organization of forces (to be read with the proposed eradication of the rank of Brigadiers & oft touted reduction in teeth to tail ratio). The IBG has been, as a concept, validated about 02 years back. Operationally, integration of technology is in progress with better Battlespace awareness and management tools coming in at sub-unit levels. Tactical C3I is, surprisingly, robust now, in spite of challenges in funding. With the Digital India plan (armed forces are also covered under the same with information network 'highways'enabling quick establishment of Armed Forces' networks) , the extensive OFC network has enabled better integration in terms of information processing and dissemination at various levels.

Logistics, like @Joe Shearer has correctly pointed out, need to be ramped up exponentially, which, if the present policy is continued under next government, will witness a phenomenal growth in capability and reach.

A very pertinent point, that of CAS in terms of attack helicopter support at Corps level with raising of Aviation Brigade, is far from being realized. Even the sanction of only 15 LCH this year for induction, can underline the rather slow process on the front. (I am not counting in the Rudra and Lancers already in operation with Army Aviation)

But, suffice to say, Strike Corps will be engaged in battle by Day 4 of official declaration of war, for Western Front. For Eastern-Northern, the less said the better as Dokalam issue merely remains in the public domain as a flash point. India will again cross IB (recognised by India as such) to prevent a change in status quo without a negotiated settlement acceptable to both China and Bhutan in the territory. I do not forsee any future combat with Chinese forces. But force posturing and deterrent deployment, needs to be maintained.

To ensure tiered structure of defence being strengthened now , one can always study the re-organization of the Paramilitary and Border Guarding forces. it remains quite 'insightful'.

Cheers:wave:

2016 surgical strike like coin operations along pak border hehe, this is fun to read. So they plan an upgrade against chinese but lack the courage on pak border :P

But that will be stuck in your dams which you taste 24/7.

No matter what these occupier terrorists does, end result won't change. There is nothing india can do of IOK.

There aren't any dams, none that block the free flow of water. It'll all be yours one day, my son - specifically, it'll be yours tomorrow. I am not referring to the water but to the free gift of organic manure.

Enjoy.

Tickets are cheap in winter. Remember to return this winter and harvest your share of the natural effluents. Don't just leave it to the stay-at-homes.

There aren't any dams, none that block the free flow of water. It'll all be yours one day, my son - specifically, it'll be yours tomorrow. I am not referring to the water but to the free gift of organic manure.

Enjoy.

Tickets are cheap in winter. Remember to return this winter and harvest your share of the natural effluents. Don't just leave it to the stay-at-homes.

This doctrine is to be implemented in IOK'S border with China's Aksai Chin where these occupier terrorists will launch those stuff you are talking about openly as was being discussed by other member. So from that part it will flow into the rivers and then the dams in IOK will make sure bhartis in India can enjoy these goods. Yes I'm talking about those organic manure that you were discussing.

Tickets are cheap in the Winter, my son - I'm sure you and your family friends should enjoy it under full protection of occupier terrorists in IOK.

Now kindly get back to the topic and make readers aware how this doctrine of indian army would help indian occupier terrorists in IOK and how can China and Pakistan counter that move.

They are run of river dams..so no storage baby

They will travel to bharat via illegal water distribution network india has erected on Pakistani rivers. Those dams will make sure it happens. And then you will taste it, anyways you should be proud as you will be tasting your occupier terrorists organics manure.

Now kindly get back to topic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom