What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Total bs .... if the kashmir's from the indian side want there own state or want to be a part of Pakistan then why would kashmir's from the Pakistani kashmir want there own indpendence total bs and lies.. lol how trustworthy and true is this source i doubt it plzz close this bs.

we can all comprehend the creditibility of a website titled

The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

Indians please dont self-immolate your arses with
chilli.jpg

Often in post here after quick consultations with friends over phone..

Me to my Indian-Kashmiri friend at work
Me: Do Kashmiris wants Independence from India??
KF: yes
Me: How abt independence from Pak
KF: not sure
Me: What if they were given an option to join one country?
KF: most probably we will vote for Pakistan
Me: Well its going very poor right now with economy and security in shambles
KF: it has to give us atleast semi-autonomy like azad-kashmir
Me: ok..thx!

If my memory serves my correctly there is no provision in the UN resoultion for kashmir to go independent....its a straight choise between pakistan and india.
I am pretty sure that during the withdrawal of the british every state was asked to choose between the two and indpendence was not a choice.

If i do have a problem with the GoP then its that AJK should be made into a proper province of pakistan....IOK can join when they get there freedom.

It is clear from article that report is based upon chatllam house report which due to its very small sample size is hardly credible.

well a good first step would be to de-militarize the region, and allow press around the world to get Kashmiri perspective so we dont have to rely on newspapers and online propaganda

Of the 100 people who died in the valley in last 3 month, how many deaths are responsibility of Indian Army?

Take a guess ... Bingo the answer is ZERO 0.

So, if you really want to discuss something constructive first get your facts right.

So, who is responsible. It is the J&K Police which requested the support of CRPF, and most of the deaths are responsibility of J&K Police, who are natives of J&K.

I am not taking away the responsibility of Indian Government, I am appraising the responsibility of J&K Government and Police in the whole episode.

Next time you run around and give your unsolicited advice, at least educate yourself.

Please, my life skills do not equip me to handle an emotional zombie.

Army being made scapegoat in J&K'

New Delhi: Terming the Armed Forces Special Powers Act as an "essential instrument", Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju Tuesday said the Army was being "demonised" and made a "scapegoat" in Jammu and Kashmir affairs which are mainly linked to the peoples' "aspirations".

Raju said the government was conscious that normalcy needed to be restored in all areas of Jammu and Kashmir and "from that point of view we trying to minimise the use of armed forces".

He said the Army "is moving away from civilian areas and all the government buildings and we are paying huge compensation for agricultural land".

Talking about the situation in Kashmir, he said it is "not normal" and pointed out that infiltration is still continuing although the number of infiltrators has gone down.

"The will to create trouble and foment trouble is still there and that is why the infiltration is still continuing and till that happens I think the security blanket (is needed)," he said in an interaction with reporters at the Indian Women's Press Corps here.

Raju said the bigger challenge in Kashmir is meeting the aspirations of the people. The Army is being "demonised" in Kashmir although it is not responsible for the situation there. "Army becomes the scapegoat," he said.

"We should not look at it from the point of view of the AFSPA or the Army," he said adding the government should focus on bringing about greater opportunity. "The presence of Army is helping that cause,"

"They have contained the situation in certain areas. Their visibility is also less. The recent upsurge is a very grave phenomenon".

Justifying the application of the AFSPA, the Minister said it is an "essential instrument" for forces in strife-torn areas and gives them a "security blanket".

He added "that (AFSPA) has been an essential instrument for the armed forces to go about confidently...you don't want somebody thrusting human rights violations on our soldiers.

"So you have to give some amount of security blanket to these guys who are doing a hard job and you really don't know in conflict places where the threat is coming from and how the terror element is going to strike".

The Minister, however, added it can be reviewed periodically.

Questioned on the continuation of the AFSPA in Jammu and Kashmir, he said, it was essential as "in order to have the upper hand, you need sufficient security blanket for the armed forces to move in and prevent what they perceive as a threat".

Raju said, "From our armed forces point of view, a situation may be peaceful but it takes very little time for an area to become infested with terrorists. So you know trying to deal with such an area you need this kind of a blanket.

He quickly added that, "this does not mean that they (the forces) have an free hand to run and do whatever they want. We have a very strict zero tolerance policy about issues of (human rights) and we have been acting very stringently against people who have violated that".

On providing security to the Commonwealth Games, he said, "there would be sufficient deployment in order to prevent any external threat".

"Any equipment that is needed to be brought in, I think the government of India will do that," he added.

Identifying Maoist violence as a "grave threat", Raju said, "We should not underestimate the problem. From the point of view of security, we should be prepared," he added.

On Indo-US defence ties, he said, the relations between the two countries in this field are progressing very well. "We also hope they will be more generous in sharing technology and help us in improving our preparations".

keep feeling bad all you like....we can see on which side of the LoC there is total unrest and chaos --thanks to the actions of the occupational forces (aka the sissies).

according to the article, we see an interesting paradox. Azad Kashmiris have freedom of speech, freedom of expression and are not bound by intimidation by Pakistan Army and security forces.. the main issue is economic (unemployment issues, other indicators)

Those are similar issues encompassing entire country, not just Azad Kashmir. And they can be solved simply with right leadership and an improved security environment.

in hindustan occupied Kashmir -- economic conditions are not so bad, even though tourism industry has taken a hit.....but despite billions invested, Kashmiris are still ardently opposed to hindustan occupation and are still victims of intimidation, extra-judicial killings and other violence at the hand of the occupational police/security forces (aka the sissies)

So true bro. indians are always bragging about their rising GDP and dreaming about being a superpower in 2025, yet thousands of Kashmiris in India occupied Kashmir come out into the streets and demand independence from india where hundreds of Kashmiri protestors have been killed by indian police/troops in just 4 months.

While Pakistan is going through its worst crisis. Floods, fragile economy, corrupt PPP government, and the war OF terror. Pakistanis in general are going through a lot, not only Azad Kashmiris.

And to indians, if (God forbid) we ever see Pakistani police/troops killing hundreds of protestors in Azad Kashmir in just 4 months like in india occupied kashmir, you will see thousands of Pakistanis coming out in the streets of Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar, and Quetta demanding the killings be stopped and police/troops be punished.

Pakistan's economy may not be as great as india's economy, but Pakistanis are much better people.

Last edited:

As India and Pakistan, both nuclear powers, wrangle over its future, the rest of the world should be paying more attention

The Kashmir conflict has consistently been narrowed to a local and regional issue. The war between the Indian army and Kashmiris has been presented as civil unrest that is being tackled by diplomatic talks. As a result, political leaders around the world have failed to raise concern over the conflict.

US special representative Richard Holbrook for instance, said that the Kashmir issue is an internal matter for India and not one that requires US assistance. This is an unfortunate and regrettable statement that does not take into account the gravity of the conflict and its wider geopolitical impact.

My extensive contacts on the ground in Kashmir have told me of the tortures, abuses, rapes and murders of innocent civilians that continue to pervade Kashmir and have failed to reach our radars due to the Indian government's censorship. Underneath all of the warring between the Indian army and Kashmiris lies a fragile nuclear, economic and political region fraught with terrorist activity.

Ignoring the Kashmir conflict will weaken the Pakistani army's ability to fight the Taliban and al-Qaida in the border region of Afghanistan. At the moment, the Pakistani army is protecting Kashmiris from the curfew and horrific abuses by the Indian army in an effort to maintain stability in the region. As a result, the Pakistani army's efforts are mainly directed at protecting Kashmir and the not the "war on terror".

Given the west's concern that Afghanistan is falling into the hands of the Taliban and the increased number of casualties on Nato's side, it would be in Britain's – and indeed America's – best interests to address Kashmir and give the Pakistani army an extra hand in combating extremists on the Afghan border. If the situation continues to escalate, the promise of leaving Afghanistan will be impossible to keep as Nato will have to count on fewer resources from Pakistan.

Additionally, India and Pakistan's nuclear arsenals pose a considerable threat considering the volatility of their relationship. Over the past few months, the conflict in Kashmir has escalated and erupted in horrific violence and could turn into a hotbed of nuclear attacks.

This possibility will only be reduced if pressure is mounted on India and Pakistan to resolve Kashmir. Given that efforts to deter Iran's president Ahmadinejad from pursuing further nuclear development have failed, it would also be wise to keep nuclear frictions in the region to a minimum wherever possible. The south Asian region is continually changing and held to scrutiny and events in neighbouring and distant countries are both threatening existing relationships and building dangerous new ones.

Stability in the Kashmir region is also essential to the British prime minister's goal of improving economic ties with India, and hopefully Pakistan. Addressing Kashmir will mean that the region will be more economically stable for future partnership with Britain and her allies and future EU investment. Prime minister Cameron has made an important starting point by planning economic ties with India and standing up to gain EU support for trade concessions for Pakistan in the wake of the worst floods in centuries, but in order to truly build long-term sustainability, economically, politically and socially, Kashmir must be spoken for.

The Kashmir conflict poses a geopolitical threat because Pakistan's role in Afghanistan will be hindered, economic ties in the region are likely to remain frail and we cannot idly sit as two nuclear powers fight over Kashmir.

The bottom line about Kashmir is that the unrest in this region is not an isolated event and nor are the consequences of that unrest isolated. No longer can we allow the media and our political leadership to report Kashmir as a minor and regional concern. What seems like a local problem, is actually a global and geopolitical threat.

kashmir will remain the same in terms of geography, india will have its part, pak will have theirs & no so called free or independent kashmir.
kashmir will always be divided b/w these two countries, if any indian think one day whole kashmir will be ours then they are dreaming the impossible & same for pak

Of the 100 people who died in the valley in last 3 month, how many deaths are responsibility of Indian Army?

Take a guess ... Bingo the answer is ZERO 0.

So, if you really want to discuss something constructive first get your facts right.

So, who is responsible. It is the J&K Police which requested the support of CRPF, and most of the deaths are responsibility of J&K Police, who are natives of J&K.

I am not taking away the responsibility of Indian Government, I am appraising the responsibility of J&K Government and Police in the whole episode.

Next time you run around and give your unsolicited advice, at least educate yourself.

Please, my life skills do not equip me to handle an emotional zombie.

oh get out of here.......!!

As India and Pakistan, both nuclear powers, wrangle over its future, the rest of the world should be paying more attention

The Kashmir conflict has consistently been narrowed to a local and regional issue. The war between the Indian army and Kashmiris has been presented as civil unrest that is being tackled by diplomatic talks. As a result, political leaders around the world have failed to raise concern over the conflict.

US special representative Richard Holbrook for instance, said that the Kashmir issue is an internal matter for India and not one that requires US assistance. This is an unfortunate and regrettable statement that does not take into account the gravity of the conflict and its wider geopolitical impact.

My extensive contacts on the ground in Kashmir have told me of the tortures, abuses, rapes and murders of innocent civilians that continue to pervade Kashmir and have failed to reach our radars due to the Indian government's censorship. Underneath all of the warring between the Indian army and Kashmiris lies a fragile nuclear, economic and political region fraught with terrorist activity.

Ignoring the Kashmir conflict will weaken the Pakistani army's ability to fight the Taliban and al-Qaida in the border region of Afghanistan. At the moment, the Pakistani army is protecting Kashmiris from the curfew and horrific abuses by the Indian army in an effort to maintain stability in the region. As a result, the Pakistani army's efforts are mainly directed at protecting Kashmir and the not the "war on terror".

Given the west's concern that Afghanistan is falling into the hands of the Taliban and the increased number of casualties on Nato's side, it would be in Britain's – and indeed America's – best interests to address Kashmir and give the Pakistani army an extra hand in combating extremists on the Afghan border. If the situation continues to escalate, the promise of leaving Afghanistan will be impossible to keep as Nato will have to count on fewer resources from Pakistan.

Additionally, India and Pakistan's nuclear arsenals pose a considerable threat considering the volatility of their relationship. Over the past few months, the conflict in Kashmir has escalated and erupted in horrific violence and could turn into a hotbed of nuclear attacks.

This possibility will only be reduced if pressure is mounted on India and Pakistan to resolve Kashmir. Given that efforts to deter Iran's president Ahmadinejad from pursuing further nuclear development have failed, it would also be wise to keep nuclear frictions in the region to a minimum wherever possible. The south Asian region is continually changing and held to scrutiny and events in neighbouring and distant countries are both threatening existing relationships and building dangerous new ones.

Stability in the Kashmir region is also essential to the British prime minister's goal of improving economic ties with India, and hopefully Pakistan. Addressing Kashmir will mean that the region will be more economically stable for future partnership with Britain and her allies and future EU investment. Prime minister Cameron has made an important starting point by planning economic ties with India and standing up to gain EU support for trade concessions for Pakistan in the wake of the worst floods in centuries, but in order to truly build long-term sustainability, economically, politically and socially, Kashmir must be spoken for.

The Kashmir conflict poses a geopolitical threat because Pakistan's role in Afghanistan will be hindered, economic ties in the region are likely to remain frail and we cannot idly sit as two nuclear powers fight over Kashmir.

The bottom line about Kashmir is that the unrest in this region is not an isolated event and nor are the consequences of that unrest isolated. No longer can we allow the media and our political leadership to report Kashmir as a minor and regional concern. What seems like a local problem, is actually a global and geopolitical threat.

world leaders are not taking this issue coz they know india is in demand by every body.they have their own interst and y shud they let their interest down for pakistan

Ignoring the Kashmir conflict will weaken the Pakistani army's ability to fight the Taliban and al-Qaida in the border region of Afghanistan

no body is asking pakistan to take tension abt india.they have created phobia of india in ther mind or another reason might be the excuse they want to put forward to world of not fighting terror in pak.this is baseless that threat from india dont let pak to fight.and also in history pak started all wars with india.
and how pakistan army is helping the kashmirs?????????

u cant link iran matter with kashmir.many nations are nuclear powered.it is not necessary to link every problem with kashmir.

david cameron has already cleared his stance on india.that brit need india more than india need brit.so firing shots by putting gun on cameron shoulder is not soln.

Please your extensive contacts are full of Cr$p. Sorry to inform you but the ground reality is nothing like that. Simple. Like I told you before, if you care so much for the Kashmiris let them apply for Pakistani Citizenship and then they can go live in Pakistan happily ever after. The way I see it, India, China and Pakistan each have a part in it. There was no reason for China to even have an INch of Kashmir but Pakistan ceded the land immediately to China. Pakistan also has ***. So there goes the myth of caring for Kashmiris. You gave their land away without asking or even thinking of them. So stop BSing everyone with your false concerns. It is amateur that concerns Indians and India ...and that's it. If you want you guys can *** independent. Go ahead. We won;t follow suit!

My extensive contracts on ground in Karachi paint a very bleak future for that city as well - there is going to be a bloodbath between the Muhajirs and the Pashtuns and this could have a direct impact on the WoT. The world should intervene.

Kashmir is a Closed Book Now.

The Day Both India & Pakistan tested Nukes Kashmir issue was finished.

There will never be another war over Kashmir now.

JUST POLITICAL WRANGLING.

BOTH COUNTRIES have too much other issues ie

India address Poverty and the rise of china

Pakistan address their collapsing economy and rise of Taliban./wot.

Kashmir is just a non story in the world

At the moment, the Pakistani army is protecting Kashmiris from the curfew and horrific abuses by the Indian army in an effort to maintain stability in the region. As a result, the Pakistani army's efforts are mainly directed at protecting Kashmir and the not the "war on terror".

:lol:

So, the author has implicitly accepted the fact that Pakistani Army personnel, disguised as local militants, are "protecting" the people of the Kashmiri valley from the "horrific abuses" of the Indian Army.

Finally a Pakistani has accepted Pakistani Army's direct involvement in cross-border infiltration. :P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom