What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Well what ever the UN say thats what we will do.....if that includes having a vote in Gilgit-Baltistan,then yes.

Sir you might want the same but will Pakistan be ready for the same. Just to give you reference AJK map is not having G-B area which Pak consider their states.
Azad Kashmir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This point must have been answered a thousand times........We have the same rules in AJK,no non kashmiri can buy land there or become a citizen.So this fantasy that you indians keep pulling out that AJK is flooded with punjabis and that they are taking over is nothing more then a massive lie.

Sir thanks for clearing it thousand one time but did you ever notice ethinc group of AJK. I found Kashmiris were in minority and their min language was Urdu (Not Dongri ??) and major ethnic groups were Jaat, Gujjars, Rajputs and Punjabis etc. Please have reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_of_Azad_Kashmir

Bring every kashmiri refugee back including all those in pakistan and india and let them vote......we have no problem with that.

So are you going to have vote on the basis of pre-1948 or on current basis. You personally may not have problem but yes Pakistan do have as most of the people may have to leave Mirpur/Muzzafarabad territory.

Yes!.......and we also want the kashmiri muslims who where forced out of kashmir also to be involved in the plebiscite.

Well, I always hear Kashmiri Muslims were killed by Indian Army they were never forced after all according to you guys No Kashmiri wants to stay in any other state of India.

When has anybody said they want only muslims to be involved in the plebiscite?.......All kashmiris,sikhs,hindus ect will be involved in the vote.

Only some part of Srinagar area have resistance (which is Muslim dominated area) and Pakistani freedom fighters because of "Ummah" come here. This is the reason Paskistan talk about only Kashmiri Muslims. Have you ever got any editorial for Kashmiri Sikhs or Pandits in Pakistani new paper.

I dont why you indians keep thinking we want no non muslims to be involved in the kashmir vote.

Because your freedom fighters came in 80s and forced Kashmiri Pandits out of J&K territory. And most of the time these so called freedom fighters are involved in ethnic cleansing of Hindus/Sikhs. Remember when Bill Clinton came to India 28 Sikhs in J&K have been killed.

No problem......just as long you indians dont mind the chinese being involved also then in the kashmir dispute and having a say on the outcome.......PS under the agreement with china they gifted a larger part of kashmir to us and not the other way round.

I have No issues to involve China or anyone in this matter. I don't talk on behalf of India. I am talking for the favor of J&K people and if that is their land then whomsoever they are they have to be included. And please let me know which part of Kashmir China gifted you. Everyone knows that you gifted them a big part of Karakoram pass and part of Kashmir which is part of Uigyhur.

Well all your questions have been answered and the indian media myths broken that pakistan only wants the kashmiris muslims to be involved.

Sir from above points this is clearly mentioned stance of India and most important J&K people. Myths were created by you guys named AJK and for you Kashmir is only Muslim area that is why in 1948 Pakistan has attacked the same.

oh you wanted to be a freedom fighter....a mujahid in kashmir for "Jihad".......but now rangers or Army
seems like you want to fight in swat......

I dont know wat disease u guys have tht u cant comprehend anything?

OR other point of view is that you just confirmed that PAK army is directly involved in sending/disguising as terrorists.....I claim India is making for last 50 years......

First Son its Mujahedeen ........Terrorists are the indian terrorist forces occupying Kashmir...
About sending them into indian occupied Kashmir...........we arent indians with the pathetic proxy mindset be it 71,sindhu desh,TTP and now BLA.
If u go around confirming news on my words.....do confirm my words reguarding attrocities , massacres , proxy and other low life activities of indian state against its bordering countries.

Last edited:
No problem......just as long you indians dont mind the chinese being involved also then in the kashmir dispute and having a say on the outcome.......PS under the agreement with china they gifted a larger part of kashmir to us and not the other way round.

No....India minds China being a part of the issue.
China has no locus-standi on this issue other than being gifted some part of Kashmir by Pakistan.They were not the original disputants.

By this logic if tomorrow India gifts some piece of land to Russia and then argue since Russians also own a part they r also a party to the dispute ..will u guys buy that argument..?

NO i guess...so similarly the role of China is to simply return that land and let India-Pakistan solve the dispute.

Kashmir conflict 'unfinished business'

Most of the militant groups have turned away from violence but clashes continue

The Kashmir insurgency - one of the world's longest-running conflicts - began 20 years ago this week. And it was the shockwave from the fall of the Berlin Wall that gave young Kashmiris the confidence to take on the Indian state, the BBC's David Loyn says.

Simmering discontent over this unfinished business left over from the partition of India in 1947 turned into a full-scale insurgency after the kidnap of Rubiya Sayeed, the daughter of the Indian home minister, on 8 December 1989.

She was released a few days later in exchange for five militants held in an Indian jail.

A police crackdown on victory celebrations was the spark that lit the fuse of the conflict.

One of the militants who took up the gun that week, Mukhtar Baba, said that he and his friends had the confidence to take on India because of events in Europe.

"The German people stood up against that man-made Berlin wall, so we thought why don't we, and we started that armed struggle here," he says.

The then chief minister of Indian-administered Kashmir, Farooq Abdullah, says he saw the trouble coming.

It is not a battle between Kashmiri independence and India, but between the secular forces of India and the fundamentalist forces which are wanting to get hold of the Kashmir valley

Afsar Karim
Retired Indian general
"It was not only the Berlin Wall, I think the main thing was the Russian defeat in Afghanistan. They felt if a power like Russia can be thrown out, why not India," he says.

He addressed a packed public meeting to try to warn Kashmiris of what was to come.

"I told them, 'what you are doing is wrong. It will not lead you to any place other than the destruction of our state; our houses will go; our villages will be blown up; innocent people will die; many of our womenfolk will be raped and murdered'," Mr Abdullah says.

Differing goals

Twenty years on, there are no reliable estimates of the number of people killed, but it is generally believed to be upwards of 50,000.

_44961753_kashmir_jammu_map226.gif

The Kashmiri-based International People's Tribunal on Human Rights has recently called for a thorough investigation of mass graves of bodies buried by Indian security forces.

The Indian government has rejected the findings, but the head of the research group, Khurram Parvez, says that much still has to be revealed. He has estimated that one in 10 people living in the Kashmir valley has been tortured.

From the beginning there were differing goals for those who took up the gun.

Some wanted Pakistan to take over all of the original state of Kashmir, but most wanted unification of the two wings of the original state in a separate new independent country.

Global jihad

As the insurgency ground on, from the mid-1990s the Indian state faced a new threat. Among the Kashmiri youths coming across the Line of Control after training on the Pakistani side were battle-hardened Islamist warriors who had come to fight a jihad. They were Arabs, Afghans and Pakistanis.

I met some in Indian custody in 1994, including the alleged military commander of a new guerrilla group - the Harkat ul-Ansar. His name was Sajjad Afghani - (Sajjad "the Afghan"), and he proved to have a very limited political agenda.

He was fighting not for Pakistani control of Kashmir but for a global jihad.

We did not know it then, but this kind of thinking was about to take centre stage in world politics.

So while the fighting in Indian-administered Kashmir may have been inspired by the end of the Cold War, it provides a direct link with the new conflicts of the 21st Century.

Big change

Pakistan's repeated and strong denials that they backed militant training camps were rejected by the incoming administration of US President Bill Clinton in 1993, who demanded that the camps should close, threatening to put Pakistan on the list of "state sponsors of international terrorism".

The Dukhtaran-e-Millat advocates a more rigorous lifestyle for women

Conveniently enough, the chaos of the civil war in Afghanistan meant that the camps should be shifted there, and when Osama Bin Laden reappeared in the region in 1996 he was given control of some of this training.

Retired Gen Afsar Karim, one of India's leading defence analysts, says that this development was the most threatening aspect of the Kashmir conflict.

"It is not a battle between Kashmiri independence and India, but between the secular forces of India and the fundamentalist forces which are wanting to get hold of the Kashmir valley."

The war has seen a big change in Kashmiri society. There is a new seriousness of intent in Islamic practice here in a place once famous for more tolerant liberal ways.

A women's movement, the Dukhtaran-e-Millat (Daughters of the Faith), holds classes to try to change the ways of Kashmiri women to a more rigorous lifestyle including covering every part of their body.

Their fundamentalist world view includes a demand for Pakistan to control all of Kashmir. They also believe that 9/11 was an attack carried out by America on itself.

One of their leading members Naheeda Nasreem, dressed all in black, including black gloves, says: "Is there any proof it was done by any Muslim? We think it might have been done by them. The Taliban and other forces are working at the behest of America and Israel. Why are the Taliban terrorising Pakistan? This is only on at the behest of America. They sent some people dressed as Muslims."

'Sky's limit'

Most of the original militant groups have turned away from violence. They are waiting for the result of a peace process that has been called "quiet diplomacy" backed by US President Barack Obama.

_46876273_malik_226.jpg

Yasin Malik warns there could be "another revolution"

Both Pakistan and India now appear ready to compromise. On a recent trip to Srinagar, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told a secessionist politician that - apart from the border itself - anything could be negotiated.

"The sky's the limit," he said.

There is some impatience for progress, and the Chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front, Yasin Malik, warns that if there is no progress, then it will be hard to stop young Kashmiris from returning to violence.

He has tried to lead a path of non-violent resistance, but knows of the impatience of Kashmiris for a settlement.

"For God's sake, don't give our next generation a sense of defeat. If you are giving them a sense of defeat you are pushing them for another revolution," Yasin Malik says.

BBC News - Kashmir conflict 'unfinished business'

This article was published in 1995 and gives a view of how the local Kashmiris had themselves taken up arms against the terrorists groups like Hizb and other so called Jihadi groups. I wanted to give people an idea of how atrocities of these same groups (which some Pakistanis misguidedly think have a strong support base among local Kashmiris) have committed widespread atrocities that are now being seen in Pakistan itself.

--------------
www.outlookindia.com | Carving Up The Valley
Renegade militant groups declare war on the Hizbul Mujahideen and Jamaat-i-Islami

THE car suddenly screeches to a halt. Before I realise what's happening, I find myself staring into the barrel of a Kalashnikov, less than a foot away from my head. "Jamaati Cho ?" The two-word question is flung at me. There is a quick flurry in Kashmiri from my companion, a local journalist. The man holding the gun, probably in his early 30s and clad casually in a rust-coloured pherun, takes a hard look at me and then slowly recedes into the alley from where he had emerged.

"I didn't know these people had become active in this area also," remarks my companion as we move on. The gunman belongs to Ikhwan-ul-Muslimoo a militant group led by Jamshed Shirazi, better known as Kukka Parray. The group has declared that its primary task is to 'cleanse' the Valley of all Jamaatis and militants belonging to the Hizbul Mujahideen.

'That Kukka Parray's men have become active in areas near Traal, traditional Hizbul strongholds, is indication enough that the man means business.

The following day we set off in search of him to Hajin in Bandipora where he is frequently based. But before that we run into Ansar-ul Haq, deputy supreme of the Ikhwan-ul-Muslimoon. Ansarul travels in a convoy of Maruti cars, Kalashnikov barrels sticking out of the windows. After some close questioning, he agrees to take us to see Kukka Parray the next day.

As we follow Ansarul's car through the busy market area of Hajin, it becomes obvious that Parray's men enjoy a great rapport with the people. Ansarul and his men throughout exchange greetings with the people as their vehicles meander through the throng of shoppers. Later I am told they have earned this respect due to the relief they provided during the recent floods.

At Halin, we meet Parray, a man who is confident of driving both the Jamaatis and the Hizbul Mujahideen militants away from the Valley. "They have committed great excesses against innocent Kashmiris. We have to eliminate them," he says, puffing on his hookah and surrounded by armed gunmen. He also claims to be fighting for azadi like the JKLF. What about the charge that he has been propped up by Indian security agencies? "Jamaati propaganda," he says dismissively.

His organisation (estimated strength:500 gunmen) has met with considerable success, at least in the Bandipora areas. Once known as a major stronghold of the Hizbul Mujahideen, they are now under the complete sway of Kukka Parray who is said to have further extended his influence to the outlying areas of Srinagar like Rainabari and Gaindarbal.

Indeed, the Valley is now in the grip of a new phenomenon where militants are pitched against militants. Far away in Anantnag in south Kashmir, a group led by Naba Azad is targeting Hizbul militants. It is styled the Muslim Mujahideen as is Sarir Khan's group in the Kandi Sopore belt. Besides, there is Chaudhuri Jalaluddin's organisation, known as the Militant Khilafat Army (earlier the Muslim Liberation Army), working in the Gujjar dominated border area of Kupwara. It is also just a matter of time before the break-away group of the JKLF, led by Shabir Sidiqqi and Basharat Raza and currently holding the Hazratbal shrine, focuses its guns on its former comrades.

Hurriyat leader Syed Shah Geelani and IKLF chief Yasin Malik are certain these groups are receiving help from the security forces. But others like Shabir Shah and Azam Inqlabi, veteran leader of Mahaz-e-Azadi, view the phenomenon differently. Inqlabi attributes the emergence of people like Kukka Parray to Newton's third law of motion: every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Excesses by militants, he says, had to spark off some kind of reaction. And Shabir Shah admits that such excesses were committed by "some militant tanzeems". He says he has personally apologised for all such incidents and issued an appeal to all rebel groups to come back into the fold of the mainstream movement.

Shah admits that three years ago it would have been impossible for the security agencies to locate even 50 Kashmiri gunmen willing to fight other militants Involved in the movement. Now the renegades are exploiting the people's suppressed anger at the excesses committed by the militants.

Gun battles between militant organisations are not new in Kashmir. Such group clashes, particularly between the pro-Pakistan Hizbul Mujahideen and the pro -independence JKLF were routine occurrences during 1990-91. But they had eased considerably in the last couple of years only to start recurring in a big way. This year alone, a total of 116 group clashes resulting in the death of 127 militants, had been reported till the end of August.

For government officials, there could be nothing better than this turn in events. While they hotly deny charges of connivance with the renegades, they can't stop smiling. "Oh, they are definitely making our jobs easy. We have no reason to complain," says a senior official in Srinagar.

What he probably doesn't realise is that these gunmen could become as uncontrollable as the others in the longer run and the whole situation may well develop into a civil war of sorts. That, however, doesn't worry the officials. that Their attitude is: "We will cross bridge when we come to it. For the moment, our battle is against the secessionists."

because they are not representative of kashmiri people and just want terrorism while kashmiri people suffers.

they don't want kashmir as progressing and developing because it is against their interests

if pakistan claim that they can make kashmiries happy ...so so far what they done for those who lived in Pakistan occupied kashmir ..

they dont even have right to choose government for their own
(now if u claim that they choos their government so that is only dummy government with no right ... if any one proof me wrong so please)

What he probably doesn't realise is that these gunmen could become as uncontrollable as the others in the longer run and the whole situation may well develop into a civil war of sorts. That, however, doesn't worry the officials. that Their attitude is: "We will cross bridge when we come to it. For the moment, our battle is against the secessionists."

That to me is the most important piece of the article. I am sure the Ikhwanis and others recieve some sort of help and tacit support even if it is as little as not carrying out raids and COIN ops in their areas. How do the govt. agencies view the matter? Do they have a plan in place for easing out these militias once the Hizbul and other pro-Pak groups are wiped out? After all we cant have private groups of militias roaming around the valley.

www.outlookindia.com | A House Divided
Oct 03, 2005

In April 2005, the Hizb-ul-Mujahideen's (HM's) Beerwah-area 'district commander' Yusuf Sheikh had mailed a letter to police officials in Srinagar. It contained a photograph of the severed head of Farooq Ahmad, an agent infiltrated into the organisation six months earlier; the head itself was tossed in the dirt near a city bus station soon after. In Sheikh's own case, the defiant gesture proved misguided - he was targeted for attention and shot dead inside of six weeks - but the action did reflect the rise of a certain arrogant élan in the HM: a sign that it had begun to recover from the decimation of its senior field command in 2003-2004.

Now, as details emerge on the operation that led to the September 29, 2005, elimination of Ibrahim Dar, the HM's Srinagar-area 'district commander', something of a picture is starting to emerge of just what is going on inside the numerically largest terrorist group operating in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).

While Dar occupied a relatively low administrative role, his visibility in recent months had far exceeded that of his organisational superiors. The architect of an alliance between HM and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) cadre in Srinagar, Dar had organised a series of high-profile car bombings and suicide-squad (fidayeen) attacks in recent months. Starting with a March 23 explosion in the Sanat Nagar suburb, intended to demonstrate the HM's possession of capabilities for derailing the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service, Dar's terrorist cell went on to execute attacks on the city's Passport Office, Deputy Commissioner's Office and a military convoy passing by the well-known Burnhall School. Most of these attacks, departing from traditional HM practice, used bombs manufactured from commercially-available chemicals, rather than military-grade explosives like RDX.

Investigators were intrigued by this change in course, since Dar's earlier terror enterprises had focussed on assassinations, not bombings. Having joined the HM in the early 1990s, after abandoning his efforts to obtain a Bachelor of Sciences degree, Dar was arrested for a 1996 murder. While in prison, he acquired for a mentor the senior HM 'commander', Hashim Javed Iqbal. Both obtained bail after six years. Under Iqbal's tutelage, Dar then allied with Srinagar-based elements of the LeT and al-Umar to form the Save Kashmir Movement (SKM). An assassination-focussed organisation, the SKM killed several National Conference cadre involved in the 2002 elections to the State Assembly. Soon after, in March 2003, it eliminated the dissident HM 'commander', Abdul Majid Dar, who had initiated talks with the Government of India. The SKM carried out further attacks in 2004, including the assassinations of Deputy Inspector-General of Police Mohammad Amin Bhat and Maulvi Mushtaq Ahmad, the uncle of the All Parties Hurriyat Conference (APHC) leader, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. Dar also targeted politicians who fought the February 2005 elections to the Srinagar Municipal Corporation.

In parallel with these precision killings, Dar tasked allied organisations with executing larger actions of symbolic value, using fidayeen groups. Loose affiliations seem to have first been forged with the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JEM) for this purpose, although they tapered off because of the JeM's internal crisis, ending finally with the 2003 elimination of its field amir, or 'supreme commander', Shahbaz Khan. By that year, however, the alliance with the LeT was well entrenched. It survived the arrest that year of three of Dar's closest allies in that organisation, Feroze Ahmad Sheikh, Altaf Mir and Shamimullah Khan. One reason for this was that Dar himself escaped. With not a little ingenuity and effort, he succeeded in protecting his Srinagar networks both from local attrition and the elimination of successive overall chiefs of the HM. Indeed, by 2004, the Lashkar-Hizb combine was considering a large scale operation targeting the Bombay Stock Exchange, which, however, was comprised by its penetration by Indian communications intelligence. Twenty three members of Dar's network, including his mentor Iqbal, were arrested.

For much of 2004, terrorist groups in Srinagar appeared to be in retreat: bar fidayeen actions, rich in symbolic value but of little practical effect, they appeared to be able to do nothing. Indeed, after the May 2004, elimination of the HM's 'supreme commander' for the Kashmir Valley, Abdul Rashid Pir, the organisation even seemed unable to find a successor to take his job. In the midst of this chaos, however, Dar managed to keep going. His recent activities had, for obvious reasons, given the security establishment in Srinagar substantial cause for concern, especially since considerable care was being taken to avoid communications intelligence penetration of the kind which had led to the destruction of the Bombay Stock Exchange cell. Aware, for example, that Indian intelligence had penetrated their cellphone networks, members of the cell had generally taken to communicating through couriers. Where talking was necessary, they frequently changed instruments and SIM cards, turned on their phones only for brief periods at pre-decided times and used codes to make their conversations seem innocuous.

Much of the intelligence generated during the J&K Police's operation targeting Dar has affirmed long-standing speculation about serious internal problems within the HM. Its recent emphasis on car-bomb attacks seems to have been the consequence of a shortage of weapons and cadre, the result of declining support from Pakistan and improved anti-infiltration measures. As a result of these pressures, some field cadre of the HM were eager to open lines of communication with New Delhi. Equal numbers, however, believed that a dialogue would principally benefit politicians of the APHC rather than the armed group and its cadre. Interestingly, the Muzaffarabad-based central organisation of the HM seems afraid of the consequences of freewheeling negotiation - one reason it has not appointed an overall commander for the Kashmir Valley since the elimination of Pir. HM commanders within Kashmir have, for some time, been stopped from communicating with the media, that task being solely handled by its Pakistan-based supreme leadership, reflecting an increasing paucity of trust and fears that field commanders may be increasingly inclined to seek a dialogue with New Delhi.

What does the elimination of Dar mean for the future of the HM's bombing offensive? While it will undoubtedly hurt the organisation, it is unlikely that Dar's killing will in itself bring an end to this campaign. For one, Dar's superior - the Srinagar 'division commander', so far known only by the alias 'Jehangir' - remains alive. Dar's resourceful and tough south Kashmir counterpart, Sohail Faisal, also continues to operate. More worrying, from the point of view of Forces operating in J&K, is the fact that Srinagar's urban terror cells seem to be increasingly sensitive to the capabilities and limitations of Indian communications intelligence. India will, most likely, have to upgrade its communications intelligence infrastructure significantly in years to come, notably the ability of forces operating in J&K to monitor encrypted internet traffic and hand-held satellite phone conversations. Most important, though, the abiding lesson of the hunt for Dar ought to be that the carefully-built human intelligence networks that have worked with great success in J&K ought not to be allowed to wither away in the fond hope that peace is just around the corner.

That to me is the most important piece of the article. I am sure the Ikhwanis and others recieve some sort of help and tacit support even if it is as little as not carrying out raids and COIN ops in their areas. How do the govt. agencies view the matter? Do they have a plan in place for easing out these militias once the Hizbul and other pro-Pak groups are wiped out? After all we cant have private groups of militias roaming around the valley.

Ikhwanis don't exist as they did in 1995. At present, many have been vetted and inducted into the J&K police. Some of them have been given training and inducted into the Special Ops Group or SOG of the J&K police.
There are also Village Defence Committees, loosely aligned with villagers and the local police. So the perception that private militias still exist would be wrong.

First Son its Mujahedeen ........Terrorists are the indian terrorist forces occupying Kashmir...

Mujahedeen.. Hmmm.. similar to the ones your army is now fighting for last so many months in NWFP, SWAT etc?? Didnt you call them mujahedeen when u were funding and training them for Afghanistan.

And I know you will come back with TTP is not the same outfit that fought soviets yada yada...

But hey... a rose with any other name ...???

In the end you will have the same situation in Punjab (Pakistani) as you have in NWFP today, if the same policies of sending these so called freedom fighters (actually terrorists) into India continues..

I hope better sense prevails in Pakistani govt.

A cousin of mine went for Kashmir Jihad 8 years back when he was 20..
Love to go myself..
U never know.
TILL LASY DROP OF BLOOD.....WE WILL NEVER FORGET KASHMIR.
PAKISTAN ZINDABAD
FREE KASHMIR
MUJAHIDEEN PAINDABAD.

During the same time these also happened. Who knows which of the Mujahiddins were part of it. Can you check from your cousin. I think he will try to shift blame on some others, but again what else are conspiracy theories for.

1998 Wandhama massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gunmen Kill 25 Hindus in Kashmir Attacks - NYTimes.com
2003 Nadimarg Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About sending them into indian occupied Kashmir...........we arent indians with the pathetic proxy mindset be it 71,sindhu desh,TTP and now BLA.
If u go around confirming news on my words.....do confirm my words reguarding attrocities , massacres , proxy and other low life activities of indian state against its bordering countries.

bro............you forgot to say 65 and 99.........and many small scales like 2008 mumbai:cheers:

Infiltration bid foiled in J&K, 2 militants killed:partay:

Srinagar: The Army on Wednesday killed two infiltrating militants in Kupwara district this morning.

A group of heavily-armed militants tried to sneak into the Indian side at Tangdhar, 140 kms from here, a Defence spokesman said.

On noticing their movement, troops challenged them and in the subsequent encounter, two militants were killed.

The encounter was continuing when last reports came in.Infiltration bid foiled in J&K, two militants killed

A survey which a British academic says is the first systematic attempt to establish the opinions of Kashmiris has produced "striking results".

Robert Bradnock interviewed more than 3,700 people in Indian- and Pakistani-administered Kashmir to assess their views on various issues.

One of the key questions put to respondents was how they saw the future of the territory.

Nearly half of those interviewed said they wanted independence.

Another question asked for their views over the continuing insurgency.

Dr Bradnock - an associate fellow at the Chatham House think-tank in London - says that the survey has produced startling conclusions, especially in relation to the future of the territory.
No 'simple fixes'

It revealed that on average 44% of people in Pakistani-administered Kashmir favoured independence, compared with 43% in Indian-administered Kashmir.

"However while this is the most popular option overall, it fails to carry an overall majority on either side.

"In fact on the Indian side of the Line of Control [LoC] - which separates the two regions - opinions are heavily polarised," Dr Bradnock told the BBC.
Journalists take cover during a clash in Srinagar (file photo) The Kashmir insurgency has raged for 20 years

The survey found that the "overwhelming majority" of people want a solution to the dispute, even though there are no "simple fixes".

Dr Bradnock said that in the Kashmir valley - the mainly Muslim area at the centre of the insurgency - support for independence is between 74% and 95%.

But in the predominantly Hindu Jammu division to the south, support is under 1%.

Other findings include:

* 80% of Kashmiris on both sides of the LoC say that the dispute is important to them personally
* Concern over human rights abuses stands at 43% on the Indian side and 19% on the Pakistani side
* Concern over unemployment is strong across the territory - 66% on the Pakistani side and 87% on the Indian side
* Few are optimistic over peace talks - only 27% on the Pakistani side and 57% on the Indian side thought they would succeed.

Dr Bradnock said that it was "clear" that a plebiscite on the future of Kashmir - along the lines envisaged in UN resolutions of 1948-49 - is "extremely unlikely to offer a solution today".

"The results of the polls show that that there is no single proposition for the future of Kashmir which could be put to the population... and get majority support," he said.

"The poll offers no simple fixes but offers signposts - through which the political process, engaging India, Pakistan and wider Kashmiri representation - could move it towards resolution."

BBC News - 'First' Kashmir survey produces 'startling' results

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom