What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
J&K is an issue which can result in Billions of deaths in this region - you say its not important - quite naive.

ofcourse it's an important issue, for me & you!! i mean for pakistan and india. is it as important for the outside world?? if it so.. what have they done about it for the past 60 odd years?? exactly!! that's what i was trying to say!!!

Why is Pakistan being ruled by Zardari or Musharraf is of international importance? while Kashmir is not
Newly appointed Indian as head of common wealth cancel Pakistan's membership in support of Zardari.

Not a surprise, Only for Pakistan it was an issue except that no one care about it. It was/is pretty obvious that in UN no one care what Pakistan says. India today holds good support in UN.

Weather its right or not still remain a big question. But Good for India they are getting all wishes fulfilled. I personally like Indian global politic stand.

J&K is an issue which can result in Billions of deaths in this region - you say its not important - quite naive.

This region South Asia has a population less than 2 billion and also its not important as there is no oil,valuable natural resources there for the West or anyone to bother.

This region South Asia has a population less than 2 billion and also its not important as there is no oil,valuable natural resources there for the West or anyone to bother.

I think what he means is that this dispute could lead to an eventual nuclear war. Something that would definitely bother the international community.

As for Indias take on this, doesnt India claim the whole of Azad Kashmir + Gilgit Baltistan as well as Chiniese Kashmir. Hence isnt this a setback for India as well?

I guess, now for UN P seat noone can mediate with Kashmir issue. Its legally resolved/ nondisputed for UN. India play a big game here. I like it.

Thanks to UK they deserve $$ business from India.

I think what he means is that this dispute could lead to an eventual nuclear war. Something that would definitely bother the international community.

As for Indias take on this, doesnt India claim the whole of Azad Kashmir + Gilgit Baltistan as well as Chiniese Kashmir. Hence isnt this a setback for India as well?

considering the article its a win were this issue wont be a thorn in the international level but considering your statement regarding Azad Kashmir + Gilgit Baltistan as well as Chinese Kashmir its a creidable point u made:coffee:

i don't think this view of your's is accurate. india has always been happy with the status quo & stated so publicly. so this move by the UN serves india's purpose well.

Good point, however if you think a little more about it then removal from UN does not mean removal of stake. We never wanted UN to intervene in this conflict because our official stand is that it is a billateral dispute, however Pak always wanted to internationalize the issue...In other words they want UN to intervene...So with this context i don't see any loss for India...what do you think??

“The year Pakistan got engaged with India, we saw considerable improvement on ground”

Advocating a role for Pakistan in finding an amicable solution to the Kashmir problem, academician Radha Kumar, one of the three interlocutors on Kashmir, on Sunday stressed the need for working towards credibility of the dialogue process.

Before winding up the second visit to Kashmir and Ladakh, Professor Kumar told journalists that dialogue was important to arrive at a consensus, though there were varied perceptions in Ladakh and Kashmir.

Emphasising that Pakistan's role could not be wished away, she said it was a “necessity” to engage Pakistan in finding a permanent solution to the problem.

“The year Pakistan got engaged with India, we saw considerable improvement on ground. We were close to the Kashmir solution. We would like to see the dialogue process restart from the point it was left off. Unfortunately, the Pakistan government has shown disinclination to resume the dialogue from where they had left off. I hope they will change their position,” she said.

She was accompanied by another interlocutor M.M. Ansari.

Expressing concern over the media's “negative approach,” Professor Kumar said it had a larger role to play in maintaining the credibility of the dialogue process. “Our biggest challenge is to demonstrate the credibility of the process.”

She hoped that a framework for the Kashmir settlement would be possible within the next nine months. “As we said earlier, we are open to a dialogue with all shades of opinions, and that is what we have been doing so far.”

Professor Kumar said the interlocutors had submitted the report of their first visit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.

“Our priority is to see what could be the political settlement of the Kashmir dispute. There is universal agreement that everyone wants political settlement of the issue. And it would be better to achieve it sooner than later.”

She stressed that the solution to the Kashmir problem could not be achieved without making changes on the ground. Without elaborating, she said it was must to release political detainees.

The Hindu : News : Pakistan must be engaged, says Kashmir interlocutor

Good it expose UN who was sitting on it from long time.
It is US who is paving way for India's membership.
India and US seems to be in hurry and want to get all done during while Zardari is around.

So, you figured it out...:woot::woot:
We still have 2-3 years to do so...

found this seems related to the news not sure though

Pakistan says UNSC needs to recalibrate its efforts in conflict prevention
Submitted 1 day
15 hrs ago
Pakistan expressing concern over non- mentioning of Kashmir dispute in the context of unresolved long-running situations in the Council’s Report to the General Assembly has said that United Nations Security Council needs to recalibrate its efforts in conflict prevention and take more recourse to pacific settlement of disputes
Ambassador Amjad Hussain B. Sial Acting Permanent Representative of Pakistan to the United Nations expressed these views in the Joint Debate of the General Assembly on Question of Equitable Representation and Increase in the Membership of the Security Council and Related Matter
Sial conveying his concern over non- mentioning of Kashmir dispute in the context of unresolved long-running situations in the Council’s Report to the General Assembly said the Council, needs to recalibrate its efforts in conflict prevention and take more recourse to pacific settlement of disputes under chapter six (VI) of the UN Charter.
This is particularly important in cases of inter-state conflicts. Major unresolved issues, including the issue of Jammu and Kashmir are on the agenda of the Security Council, awaiting settlement for a long time. Even in the case of issues that are routinely discussed --- like the Palestine issue, the Council seems to have abdicated its role to individual countries or informal groupings. It needs to redress this to effectively discharge its responsibilities of maintaining international peace and security, he said.
He said the second dimension is assessment of Security Council’s work and transparency. Unfortunately, in this area, the annual report has little information or analysis, particularly with regard to its decision-making processes. It is a widely-held view that decisions evolve mostly in closed door sessions, if not behind the scenes by a few major players. Such decisions, accordingly, lack transparency and inclusiveness. Similarly, the Council should fulfill the Charter requirement of submitting “Special Report” to the GA.
The openness and transparency of the Security Council is related, to a large extent, with improvement in its working methods. Improving the working methods of the Security Council and enhancing its transparency and accountability are the basic underlying objectives of the ongoing reform process.
Regarding the reform of the Security Council he said Pakistan believes that real progress in the reform process can be achieved by flexibility and compromise.
“The UfC’s proposal allows variable arrangements and different possibilities and options, thereby providing relevance to regional representation as well as representation of small states. This formula reflects complex global political configuration, which essentially imply presence of few large states; a number of medium sized States; a majority of smaller States; and the emergence of regional organizations which are playing important roles in international and regional peace and security.
Our proposal also takes into account the concept of equitable geographic distribution, as envisaged in Article 23 of the Charter. This concept of equitable geographic distribution would make little sense if a seat allocated to a region were to be occupied permanently by one country. That is why we respect and understand Africa’s position as reflected in Ezulwini Consensus.”, he said.
Africa’s just demand for permanent presence in the Council is for the entire region and is, therefore, different from those who seek a seat for themselves. Similarly, we support the position of the Organization of Islamic Conference demanding adequate representation of Muslim Ummah in the Security Council.

Pakistan says UNSC needs to recalibrate its efforts in conflict prevention | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Back
Top Bottom