What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
simply modify article 367 to allow corporates to lease land in J&K for specific industries.. 5 years and this whole nonsense of a freedom fight will be a thing of past. Freedom from unemployment and poverty is the key

4.jpg

Its normal as to see youth from state joining its state force.Good going India.

Indoctrinated ? Son, what have been watching ? You desperately need to lay off India TV, I wasn't sent to one of those Propaganda, Brainwashing schools you guys believe it is mandatory for all Pakistanis to send their children to.................And if we wanted land, we would have also kept the cry for Junagarh and Hyderabad alive, they also wanted to join Pakistan but India surrounded both states, imposed a complete lock down and those people had to accede to India not because of nationalist feeling but because of hunger...........

Well sir, correct if i am wrong but from whatever i have been reading on this forum till now, right from fresh members to Think Tanks to Super Moderators, everybody says that they want freedom for Kashmir. Its true that our countries have dispute over this piece of land right from our inception, but whenever there is unrest in IOK people jump up like anything saying that India's hold on kashmir would come to an end as if its going to happen tomorrow? While our Intelligence agencies uncover evidence implicating Hurriyat leaders (sick bastards who want 10 to 15 more to die so that the agitation could get its requisite effect in people's view!!! :angry:) people here say its just propoganda. No indian source is true but will any Pakistani source would try to go deep and even if it did, it would instantly become RAW sponsored one!!!. I accept the GOI isn't a heaven sent one, we have people corrupt to the core as leaders here and either for the trouble there or (as for me no kickbacks for getting investments in kashmir) there was no development and job opportunities in Kashmir on par with the rest of India. All i am saying is this until our governments decide on some solution we can keep on discussing about it, but how can u side with terrorists ( a higly vague word since we differ on who should be called so) saying they are fighting a just war. And about the land grab may be Hyderabad wanted to join Pakistan but seriously is that possible, would any sane person allow it?? would Pakistan allow it if some province deep Pakistan had said that they would like to be with us??. So keeping that argument aside regarding kashmir due to the existing animosity between our nations and the four wars (started by your establishment) naturally any indian would feel in such a way.

I support Kashmiris in their struggle for freedom.

Indian Occupation is illegal and against the UN Resolution.

Allah may help them for attaining their legitimate right.

A wounded valley

Monday, July 12, 2010

Aijaz Zaka Syed

The writer is opinion editor of the Khaleej Times.

It’s nearly seven years since I visited Kashmir as a guest of the J&K Tourism. Fond memories of that week-long visit to the land that Mughal emperor Jahangir insisted was ‘paradise on earth’ remain as fresh as the valley’s incredible landscape.

The experience of staying at the magnificent Grand Palace, former residence of Maharaja Hari Singh, overlooking Dal Lake and against the backdrop of the Pir Panjal mountain range, is enough to last for a lifetime. The rich Kashmiri cuisine that reminded me so much of our own and the warmth of my hosts and friends added to the experience.

At the end of that trip in the spring of 2003 I promised my friends that I’d visit the valley every year. It’s a shame I haven’t been able to keep that promise. However, I’ve stayed in touch with my friends in Kashmir. Some of them write to me now and then commenting on my articles, invariably asking me why I never wrote about Kashmir.

Indeed, for all my love and admiration for Kashmir and its people, I have been running scared of the ‘K’ word. (Not that an opinion piece in a distant, foreign newspaper by a little known writer really made a difference to the existence of Kashmiri people). Maybe it’s because of the red lines that Indian Muslims have drawn around themselves.

Having long carried the cross of Partition, the Indian Muslim finds it difficult to talk about his own problems, let alone take on the Kashmiris’ existential angst. No wonder most Kashmiris despise us. As for the rest of India, Kashmir is like another planet. For all our tolerance and liberal ethos, we still cringe at any discussion involving Kashmir and the appalling humanitarian situation in the state.

The K word has acquired a radioactive nature of its own. India and Pakistan, their media, establishments and armies have fought so long and so bitterly over Kashmir that even the most innocuous, harmless discussion involving genuine concerns and problems of Kashmiri people is impossible today. Except for some solitary, but immensely courageous voices, there’s been deafening silence in the media on the humanitarian disaster brewing in the state that has become a matter of great national prestige for us.

But this is no time to hide and remain silent. Kashmir is burning. And if something is not done soon, the heat will be felt by the rest of India — and the world. If we really care about India and all that it stands for and represents, we must speak out against the shame of human-rights abuses going on in the valley.

I have watched with growing horror increasing reports of innocent, young boys – as young as 13 – dying in police firing and so-called encounters with security forces. No week passes without people coming out on the streets even in remote villages over some killing or other.

“In Kashmir Valley,” writes Kashmir Times Editor Anuradha Bhasin Jamwal, “where gross violation of human rights results in anger spilling out on the roads in the form of protests and stone-pelting, the agencies are unsparing, responding to every voice, every stone with a bullet. Young boys and men disappear and one hears about them only when ‘encounters with militants’ turn out to be fake, the dead men turning out to be missing men and not foreign militants as claimed.”

Last week, three young men were killed in police firing and clashes with security forces, one after another, sparking massive protests all over the state. This week, two more people have been killed in police firing and clashes. The valley has been regularly rocked by protests over the killings and disappearances of young Kashmiris for years now.

Nearly hundred thousand people have been claimed by the current round of conflict that began in the late 1980s. Thousands of Kashmiri men – and boys — have disappeared never to return. But the cost is much higher. Ghastly scars of this long-running conflict are not always visible. From the Shopian rape and murder episode to the brutalities meted out on a daily basis, it’s a long tale of betrayal and a love affair turning into a nightmare.

International rights groups say that almost every home in Kashmir today has someone either missing or emotionally scarred or both. Hospitals have little clue how to deal with the never-ending deluge of psychologically damaged people. In any case, you can’t treat acute mental trauma and scars of the soul with aspirin or those meaningless bottles of glucose.

How did Jahangir’s ‘firdous’ end up like this? Perhaps both India and Pakistan share responsibility for this state of affairs. Their bitter rivalry – and many wars – for this coveted piece of territory has turned Kashmir into a large prison for its people from which they can neither escape nor hope for release. If Kashmir had been treated as a living people, rather than as a prized piece of real estate, the Kashmir knot would have been resolved long ago.

Personally speaking, as an Indian, I would want nothing better than have Kashmir with us. With its fabled religious and cultural diversity, Kashmir is perhaps the best example of India’s own breathtaking plurality. It has been home to both Hazratbal and the Amarnath temple for centuries. Srinagar’s Jama Masjid and Shankaracharya’s temple have long coexisted in harmony. Look at the map and see how it seems to sit like a crown on India’s head.

But we can’t protect this crown at gunpoint.

We cannot continue to claim Kashmir belongs to India even as we drive its people away with our actions. The bulk of India’s security forces – a whopping 716,000 – are deployed in Kashmir, the heaviest concentration of troops anywhere in the world. Take a walk along the Dal Lake in Srinagar and there are more soldiers on the road than civilians.

With so many soldiers on the march and throwing their weight around, it’s a virtual battlefront out there. Is it any wonder then there’s so much of resentment against the security forces in Kashmir today? That powder keg of anger and frustration blows up every now and then at the slightest provocation. With so many jackboots on the ground, how can we ever hope to win Kashmiri hearts and minds?

During his recent visit to the state, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh talked of “creative political and economic initiatives” to address the Kashmiri alienation. He also talked of an economic roadmap to put the state on the road to progress.

While ‘creative’ solutions are welcome, when will our leaders in Delhi realise that it’s not economic dispossession but lack of political empowerment and continuing atrocities that are at the heart of Kashmiri alienation? Dr Singh also warned of “zero tolerance” for human-rights violations. Once again, a welcome assertion! But why are those responsible for the shame of Shopian and other outrages still at large?

I don’t know if and when the K knot will ever be resolved between India and Pakistan. But if India’s leaders really want to win back Kashmiri hearts and minds, they must get the army out of Kashmir now. Right away. Before it’s too late! India is loved and admired the world over for its democracy, its philosophy of peace, love and tolerance. What’s going on in Kashmir doesn’t gel with these ideals. We can win Kashmir only with love, not at gunpoint. Kashmir is the land of love and peace, the land of Sufis and saints. Let’s not turn it into a battleground. Please!

Email: aijaz@khaleejtimes.com

As Patti Smyth and Don Henley once famously crooned ....

"Sometimes love just aint enough!"

Cheers, Doc

Indian Army chief concedes failure in held Kashmir

Monday, July 12, 2010

Says have not been able to build on gains

By Muhammad Saleh Zaafir

ISLAMABAD: Indian Army Chief General VK Singh has confessed of failures of the Indian Army in occupied Kashmir. In the first such narration over the years, he said the ‘basic reason’ behind the flare-up in the Kashmir valley was the failure to build on the gains that had been made by the Indian security forces in the occupied state.

According to media reports, the Indian Army chief in an interview with an Indian TV network said the Kashmir situation had been tense for quite some time and the reasons were many. “The basic reason being that we have not been able to build on the gains that have been made,” he added.

Singh said the army had brought the situation under control to a certain level from where other steps should have been taken to carry forward the process and bring peace to the valley.

“So far as the army is concerned, I think as security forces, a lot of work has been done. The situation has been brought to a particular level when other initiatives should have started to make way for betterment,” he said.

Elaborating the steps required to contain the volatile situation, he said: “First of all, there has to be concerted efforts to identify the miscreants behind the violent protests”. “There are few. There are people who are passing instructions on phone. They have to be identified. There are people financing the protests. They must be identified,” Singh said.

He said it was for the local administration and elected representatives to win the confidence of the common man and convince him to stay away from the protests. “How do we connect with the common man and build confidence in him so that he can stay away from all this? This is both an administrative measure as well as it depends on the elected leaders out there at various levels,” the Indian general said.

He said the army was deployed in parts of the valley as a deterrent to curb violence that had rocked Kashmir since June 11.“I think there was a sort of loss of confidence and they thought that the army should be seen more prominently. We said yes, as we are as much concerned as anyone else,” he said.

In another interesting development People’s Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti stood her ground Sunday and turned down Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s request to her to attend the all-party meeting called on Monday by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah over the so-called violence in Jammu and Kashmir.

“It was very kind of the prime minister to call me. I have deep regard for the premier. He advised us to attend the meeting. But it was painful to convey my inability to attend the meeting,” Mehbooba told reporters, a day after Manmohan Singh called her urging her to reconsider her refusal to attend the meeting.

She said the situation in the Kashmir Valley was ‘so bad that nothing at the level of the state government, that has been discredited, will help... unless there is a bigger initiative which will be taken seriously by the people who are caught in a prison like situation’.

“I told the premier to excuse us. But we are looking forward to a bigger initiative from him,” she said, but didn’t elaborate. She alleged that the Omar Abdullah government was trying to hide its ‘failures’ by convening such a meeting after taking all the decisions that ‘he shouldn’t have taken’.

“They have used excessive force to suppress the anger. And he projects himself like the only nationalist in Kashmir.” The PDP chief said the meeting was a ‘damage control exercise’ aimed at hoodwinking the international community.

“I have requested the prime minister to intervene and put forward four points,” she said, adding media curbs in the valley should be lifted, the army should be recalled, and the crackdown launched by the state government should be put to an end.

They not only marched in Indian Occupied Kashmir invaded by India, but Kashmiris also marched in Indian cities against Indian State Terrorism

Kashmiris protest in Delhi, pune against civilian killings in IHK
Submitted 1 hr 9 mins ago

Kashmiris staying in New Delhi and Pune staged peaceful protests demanding an end to the spate of killings by Indian troops and police in occupied Kashmir.
According to Kashmir Media Service, Kashmiri businessmen, students, doctors, academicians and several other professionals converged on Parliament Street near Jantar Mantar in New Delhi and staged a sit-in to condemn the gross human rights violations by Indian forces in the occupied territory.

The protestors demanded repeal of the Armed Forces Special Forces Act (AFSPA), due to which the troopers operating in Jammu and Kashmir enjoyed impunity.
Kashmiri students also took out a peaceful rally in Pune. Carrying posters in their hands, the students said that objective of the rally was to make people aware of the problems faced by common civilians in occupied Kashmir.

Kashmiris protest in Delhi, pune against civilian killings in IHK | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

well Mr.Inqilabi needs to know that there is a small problem with world's support ..........

WE GOT A ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

Last edited:
Who the fook is he, no one even knows about him or his organisation, Even your Ms.Christiana Palmer is more infamous than this guy.

its hard for our pakistani friends to digest such news .
:chilli::chilli:
with due respect to our pakistani friends i request the mods to delete this thread :partay:

I am curious to know which world leaders Mr. Inqilabi is referring. What weight they carry and....whether they would listen him or not??

I support Kashmiris in their struggle for freedom.

Indian Occupation is illegal and against the UN Resolution.

Allah may help them for attaining their legitimate right.

Sorry buddy . UN cant do anything and not any one else

Kashmir is ours and no one can take it :cheers:

They not only marched in Indian Occupied Kashmir invaded by India, but Kashmiris also marched in Indian cities against Indian State Terrorism

Kashmiris protest in Delhi, pune against civilian killings in IHK
Submitted 1 hr 9 mins ago

Kashmiris staying in New Delhi and Pune staged peaceful protests demanding an end to the spate of killings by Indian troops and police in occupied Kashmir.
According to Kashmir Media Service, Kashmiri businessmen, students, doctors, academicians and several other professionals converged on Parliament Street near Jantar Mantar in New Delhi and staged a sit-in to condemn the gross human rights violations by Indian forces in the occupied territory.

The protestors demanded repeal of the Armed Forces Special Forces Act (AFSPA), due to which the troopers operating in Jammu and Kashmir enjoyed impunity.
Kashmiri students also took out a peaceful rally in Pune. Carrying posters in their hands, the students said that objective of the rally was to make people aware of the problems faced by common civilians in occupied Kashmir.

Kashmiris protest in Delhi, pune against civilian killings in IHK | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Nice extrapolation. From Kashmiris protest in Delhi against civilian killings to Kashmiris protest in Delhi against Indian State Terrorism.

I believe this is what a good friend of mine calls, Lahori Logic.

Back
Top Bottom