What's new

Kaveri Engine Project update

Kaveri Turbofan Passes Ground Tests Outside Moscow

DSC01737-744598.JPG

The K-9 model of India's Kaveri turbofan jet engine has successfully completed one phase of ground tests on an Ilyushin-76 platform at the Gromov Flight Research Institute (GFRI) in Moscow. A second phase of tests is currently in progress. All preliminary test points are said to have been met, though a final report is yet to be out.

Livefist - Indian Defence & Aerospace: Kaveri Turbofan Passes Ground Tests Outside Moscow

DRDO Conducts First Successful Flight Test Of Kaveri Engine

FTB-IL%266-1-772135.jpg

The photo above shows the Il-76 test bed with the Kaveri K9 turbofan at the Gromov Flight Research Institute on Wednesday. Just received the following statement from DRDO (in full):

The indigenously designed and developed Kaveri Engine was successfully flight tested by DRDO yesterday during the Flying Test Bed (FTB) Trials at Gromov Flight Research Institute (GFRI), Moscow, Russia. The engine was tested from take-off to landing and flew for a period of over one hour up to at an altitude of 6000m at a speed of 0.6 mach on its maiden flight.

The engine control, engine performance and engine health during the flight were found to be excellent. With this test, Kaveri Engine has completed a major milestone of the development program. During the coming months further 50-60 test flights will be carried out to mature the engine in terms of reliability, safety and airworthiness.

These trials would pave the way for further flight trials of Kaveri engine with a fighter aircraft.

An existing Il-76 aircraft was modified as a Flying Test Bed for this trial, with Kaveri engine replacing one of the four engines of the aircraft. The modifications included instrumentation required for trials as well as integration of mechanical, electrical and fuel system. The engine was controlled by the pilot from the cockpit. A number of taxi trials were carried out with Kaveri Engine integrated with the aircraft, before this maiden flight. The engine data was recorded in the aircraft as well as transmitted to ground station by telemetry.

A team of 20 scientists from Gas Turbine Research Establishment, DRDO, have been working along with GFRI for these trials. Dr Prahlada, Chief Controller, R&D (Aeronautics & Services Interaction) briefed the Media about the significance of the first flight.

Source

Last edited:
kaveri rox!

Guys don't get me wrong, but I was young and now I am old hearing about the kaveri. I never thought of it as more than a semi-joke-semi-serious attempt to make ....an engine.. not any special engine, (performance wise, fuel wise, anything wise) but.. an engine.

the only reason for celebration I can see, is that something has indeed been made finally and some people learned how to make it.

As a step one, yeah, well it is a first step, but I wouldn't say that engine is anything to write home about.

to give you an analogy.

you may make a 4 cylinder engine that powers a small town car reliably, but from there to making a 6ltr V12 pumping 700bhp that powers a Lambo, well.. there is a difference.

And in case some of you say it is not the same, well it is, since if you want to power modern combat high performance aircraft similar to the Su-30, well these planes are the lambos of the aircraft world.

i am sorry for being a party pooper... just my 2 cents.

:coffee:

Guys don't get me wrong, but I was young and now I am old hearing about the kaveri. I never thought of it as more than a semi-joke-semi-serious attempt to make ....an engine.. not any special engine, (performance wise, fuel wise, anything wise) but.. an engine.

the only reason for celebration I can see, is that something has indeed been made finally and some people learned how to make it.

As a step one, yeah, well it is a first step, but I wouldn't say that engine is anything to write home about.

to give you an analogy.

you may make a 4 cylinder engine that powers a small town car reliably, but from there to making a 6ltr V12 pumping 700bhp that powers a Lambo, well.. there is a difference.

And in case some of you say it is not the same, well it is, since if you want to power modern combat high performance aircraft similar to the Su-30, well these planes are the lambos of the aircraft world.

For Ur information ,making a 90-100 Kn turbofan Engine is not small :angry::hitwall::flame:

to give you an analogy.

how many countries in the world have developed jet engines and that too a high performance one in first attempt,

http://*****************/album/d/2601-4/kaveri-engine-1l-76-testbed.jpg

to give you an analogy.

I agree to your critics over the long time for development, but I think you are mistaken about the goals of this development!
Kaveri was never developed to be a special, or high performance engine, it was developed for our requirements and to make us less dependent on foreign countries. For example the spare supply of older Mig engines, or upgrades of them were an issue in the past, because we had to take what they offered us. If their forces don't need further upgrades, we didn't get them too, or only if we pay a lot of money.
Having an Indian engine instead (no matter if its for LCA, AMCA, or possibly Rafale), puts us in the situation to have more control about these important points, especially for the future!
So Kaveri development as a whole was the right way to go for India, just like LCA as was, but the way they did it was wrong. It turned out to be be too ambitious to do it alone, even if it is only a normal engine.

For Ur information ,making a 90-100 Kn turbofan Engine is not small :angry::hitwall::flame:

Kaveri has only around 80kN and only with the Snecma co-development can be increased to 90kN, or more.

:cheers:................to GTRE

You guys are proving the world wrong day by day.

A country which never produced a motor cycle engine alone, can actually produce a Jet engine. Where are the critics now?????...:argh:

GREAT SUCCESS...AMAZING WORK!!!:tup:

:cheers:................to GTRE

You guys are proving the world wrong day by day.

A country which never produced a motor cycle engine alone, can actually produce a Jet engine. Where are the critics now?????...:argh:
u r wrong,who designed Engines for Pulsar,Which engines are TATA and mahindra cars are using,every part of these auto mobiles are developed and designed in india by indians..
Ignorant people like u bring shame to nation without proper information....

u r wrong,who designed Engines for Pulsar,Which engines are TATA and mahindra cars are using,every part of these auto mobiles are developed and designed in india by indians..
Ignorant people like u bring shame to nation without proper information....

Please read Dash's post again, buddy! Are you sure you have drawn the correct inferance as to what he has said through his post?

He may be right or wrong about motorcycle engines made in india, but does that dilute what he is trying to say? NOPE!

bhavnao-ko-samjho-02.jpg

BTW, happy diwali!:cheers:

Kaveri engine flight testing successful

New Delhi, Nov 4 (PTI) India's indigenous aircraft engine, Kaveri, was successfully flight tested at Gromov Flight Research Institute in Moscow, the DRDO said here today. The test was conducted at the Flying Test Bed at Gromov, with the engine running right from the take-off to landing, flying for a period of over one hour up to an altitude of 6,000 metres yesterday, it said in a press release here. The engine helped the IL-76 aircraft test bed fly at speeds of 0.6 mach in its maiden flight, according to the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). "The engine control, performance and health during the flight were found to be excellent. With this test, Kaveri engine has completed a major milestone of development programme," it added. During the coming months, further 50 or 60 test flights would be carried out to mature the engine in terms of reliability, safety and airworthiness, it said. These trials will pave the way for further flight trials of Kaveri engine with a fighter aircraft. "An existing IL-76 aircraft was modified as a flying test bed for this trial with Kaveri engine replacing one of the four engines of the aircraft. The modifications included instrumentation required for trials as well as integration of mechanical, electrical and fuel system," the release said. The engine was controlled by the pilot from the cockpit and a number of taxi trials were carried out with the engine integrated with the aircraft, before the maiden flight. The engine data was recorded in the aircraft as well as transmitted to ground station by telemetry. DRDO Chief Controller (Aeronautics and Services Integration) was present during the flight trial. Kaveri is being developed for fighter aircraft at the Gas Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE) in Bangalore with the active support of several other DRDO labs, academic institutions and industry partners. During development phase, Kaveri engine has successfully completed various stages of development including component testing, safety tests, ground-based engine tests, and endurance tests, both at GTRE as well as at test bed facilities abroad.

http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfeed/news/kaveri-engine-flight-testing-successful/469434.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom