What's new

KF-21 on schedule to deliver first of 40 jets in 2026 as last prototype makes maiden flight

Indos

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

KF-21 on schedule to deliver first of 40 jets in 2026 as last prototype makes maiden flight​

On the Indonesian side, we are ready to acquire first batch of acquisition at 24 planes. Waiting for the manufacturing line to be ready first of course.

Presented by Indonesian Mindef recently.

1688899951176.png

1688900389358.png

1688901124103.png

KF21 production line in Indonesian Aerospace, not yet completed. I expect budget to complete the production facility will be given in 2025.

1688900075826.png

Last edited:
Why does kf 21 has no complete stealth and no internal bays??
That's beyond me
From what I heard and read, the first blocks are 4th gen aircrafts and the next block will be totally 5th gen.

Why does kf 21 has no complete stealth and no internal bays??
That's beyond me

Internal bays is planned for block 3

But there is other plan to see semi-recessed missile bay in the KF21 is already enough with AA missile attachement because larger ground attack missile and bomb can be carried through its planned KF21 wingman drone

1688905670878.png

1688905843814.png

From what I heard and read, the first blocks are 4th gen aircrafts and the next block will be totally 5th gen.

First block is designed to be better than F16 and SU35, it is designed to be better than 4.5 gen fighter.

Latest official video, just been released Today

KF-21 Boramae is a beautiful aircraft

Very very stunning

Indonesia did well to join this program

And Malaysia should have joined too

KF-21 Boramae is a beautiful aircraft

Very very stunning

Indonesia did well to join this program

And Malaysia should have joined too

With this 1.3 billion USD development cost that we should bare at 20 % stake, it is the most expensive program that we currently have.

Yep, I still remember in 2009 when South Korea asked Indonesia to join the program, it doesnt take long for SBY administration to accept South Korea invitation. One of the reason SK asked Indonesia I believe is because at 2009 our economy is pretty strong and South Korea acknowledge our aerospace industry capability as they bought around 8 CN 235 planes from Indonesia during early 2000's.

1697533837128.png

Basically I still remember the moment when I read the news on that Kompas newspaper. This make Indonesian Aerospace has jet fighter program. This is a high jump within our aerospace industry as previous plan to just license build Hawk 100/200 are not successful due to Asian Financial Crisis. So as an industry, Indonesian Aerospace is quite complete as it has helicopter, transport, MALE UCAV and fighter plane programs. The MALE UCAV program is inserted in 2015 during Jokowi administration and currently focusing on the electronic part of the UCAV while the airframe is pretty much ready to fly.

1697533642199.jpeg

I think this KF21 program will not only bring lot of experience and place to do experiment as we are going to develop our own version based on the plan after the 5 prototype is given to Indonesian Aerospace, but it is likely becoming the source of adequate and constant income for the company as well. The sell of CN235, NC212, and N219 are not spectacular for example as CN235 needs to compete with C295 while N 219 needs to compete with US and Canadian planes.

There is attempt I see from our side to enable Indonesia has export right of the plane for South East Asian region. I dont know about the possibility for this to happen but very possible to happen if KF21 sales are quite strong. If not, then I still can see the possibility for Indonesian Air Force to buy around 100 until 300 planes. Our 2012 defense law will likely push the sale of KF21 in Indonesia as well. That number is pretty adequate to sustain the business aspect of the program as Indonesian Aerospace is also part of the global supply chain of the plane for airframe parts like wing, tail, and pylon.

Last edited:

KAI's KF-21 fighter jet unveiled to public for 1st time at defense exhibition​

All News18:37 October 17, 2023

1697538082677.png

A South Korean-made KF-21 fighter is displayed at the Seoul International Aerospace & Defense Exhibition 2023 at Seoul Air Base in Seongnam, south of Seoul, on Oct. 17, 2023. (Yonhap)

SEONGNAM, South Korea, Oct. 17 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's homegrown fighter jet KF-21 was unveiled to the public for the first time at an annual international defense exhibition under way at Seoul Air Base this week.

The KF-21, developed by Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI), staged a public aerial demonstration at the air base in Seongnam, just south of Seoul, where the Seoul International Aerospace & Defense Exhibition (ADEX) 2023 opened for a six-day run.

During the five-minute flight session, the KF-21 demonstrated its high maneuverability, showcasing various turn maneuvers. It was later put on display for domestic and international attendees.

KAI also unveiled its homegrown light armed helicopter, which finished development last year and has entered mass production.

1697701075404.jpeg

1697701137860.jpeg

1697700970163.jpeg

1697700990526.jpeg

1697701012767.jpeg

ADEX 2023: KAI optimistic of Indonesia's ability to fulfil KF-21 cost-share agreement​

17 October 2023
by Akhil Kadidal

Amid concerns over Indonesia's delays in meeting its cost-share obligations for the Korea Aerospace Industries' (KAI's) KF-21 ‘Boromae' 4.5-generation fighter aircraft project, a KAI official, at the Seoul International Aerospace & Defense Exhibition (ADEX) 2023, said that a recent meeting between South Korean and Indonesian defense officials left room for optimism.

According to the KAI official, Indonesian Minister of Defense Prabowo Subianto has given assurances to Eom Dong-hwan, the South Korean minister for Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA), that Jakarta would honour its financial agreements to the programme. Janes previously reported on the 5 October meeting between Eom and Subianto, however, the Indonesian Ministry of Defense has not provided specifics on the outcome of that meeting.

The official, a member of the KAI KF-21 development team, told Janes during Seoul ADEX 2023 on 17 October that Indonesia still owes KRW1 trillion (USD739 million) to the project as part of its cost-share agreements. Total project cost is KRW 8.8 trillion (USD 6.73 billion USD)

Under the current agreement, Indonesia's cost share involvement give it access to four joint development facets of the engineering, manufacturing, and development (EMD) phase of KF21 program.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/...-ability-to-fulfil-kf-21-cost-share-agreement

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom