What's new

Killings in NYC subway system skyrocket to highest level in 25 years — even as ridership plummeted

NYC subway system is the jewel of its vital public transit system. While the fortunes of the subways were always tied in with the overall economic conditions prevailing in the city and the nation. But, certain anti social, and criminal minded minority groups have always been the ones to spread death and destruction in the system. it has always been the case throughout its history. look up the culprits in these incidents and you will understand what im referring to here.

We have glistening bullet trains in Tibet next to Indian border where very few people live, it's not an excuse for dilapidated infras, China has around 50 cities running subway networks, most of them have much less ridership than New York, but they are still spotlessly maintained and no crimes, in China, subways should be the safest place to go.

Only 50? You have 160 cities with over a million people. We have only 14 (with only 1 above 4 million) yet you chastize us for not having enough subways.

What is your weak excuse for the 160-50=110 cities in China not having a subway system?????? Why are you so incompetent??

Only 50? You have 160 cities with over a million people. We have only 14 (with only 1 above 4 million) yet you chastize us for not having enough subways.

What is your weak excuse for the 160-50=110 cities in China not having a subway system?????? Why are you so incompetent??
As of 2022, 9 of the 10 largest metro systems in the world, with the exception of the Moscow Metro, are in China. Over half of the world's 200 metro systems in the world are in China.

And , we are talking about how subways should be maintained

As of 2022, 9 of the 10 largest metro systems in the world, with the exception of the Moscow Metro, are in China. Over half of the world's 200 metro systems in the world are in China.

And , we are talking about how subways should be maintained

look at this 6 page thread you created saying the US needs more subways

Meanwhile you just admitted China is actually the one behind in having subways in its cities! 2/3 of your cities over a million (over 100!!!) don't have any!!!

Classic..classic..hypocrisy.

Last edited:
look it this 6 page thread you created saying the US needs more subways

Back then I was not aware that US subways can be this dangerous, and this is what this thread is about, how subways should be maintained and managed.

Signs of a decaying empire...we are in the final phase of shattering of pax-americana.

Meanwhile you just admitted China is actually the one behind in having subways in its cities! 2/3 of your cities over a million (over 100!!!) don't have any!!!

Classic..classic..hypocrisy.
Read again, China has over half of the world subway networks, but China doesn't have over half of the world population.
And Chinese subways are all super clean and safe.

Back then I was not aware

That pretty much sums up the start of a lot of your posts where you go on page after page saying we need to do things (like put in HSR) without understanding the reality on the ground.

I can make silly posts too:

China needs 99% of their population in single family homes with big flat backyards.

China needs to be like the US and move a large percentage of their population from their East coast regions to their Western borders and northern central areas so their people can live much better lives.

Last edited:
That pretty much sums up the start of a lot of your posts where you go on page after page saying we need to do things (like put in HSR) without understanding the reality on the ground.

I can make silly posts too:

China needs 99% of their population in single family homes with big flat backyards.

China needs to be like the US and move a large percentage of their population from their East coast regions to their Western borders and northern central areas so their people can live much better lives.
So you think dirty and life threatening subways are ok? you mean I should be aware of how dangerous New York subway is all along? how many people here in PDF are aware that subways can be a dangerous place go?

So you think dirty and life threatening subways are ok? you mean I should be aware of how dangerous New York subway is all along? how many people here in PDF are aware that subways can be a dangerous place go?

No, I think if they don't have the ridership numbers anymore and thus don't have the money to maintain the entire system (around 472 stations) they should consider closing unpopular stations to lower their costs to a more manageable level. They then can focus their budget on the remaining stations' upkeep.

I'm guessing the New York subway is facing the same issue as the Boston subway where they are unable to raise the fares to help cover their costs. The reason they can't is because people with higher incomes have moved to the suburbs leaving the city with a higher lower income ratio who can't absorb fare increases easily. When you raise the fares the lower income people people stop using the system and you lose even more ridership. So you end up stuck with budget deficits causing upkeep to suffer.

I'm sure the New York and Boston subways ran and looked great from 1900-1950. But after 1950 with people moving to the suburbs the decline likely started.

Last edited:
Where is Charles bronson when you need him?

Where is Charles bronson when you need him?

Ah yes a reminder that problems in the New York subway didn't exactly start yesterday...it's been there since at least the 1970's.

Notice the demographics of the people in this (pre-suburbanization) 1949 NYC subway film during "rush hour"

Now compare that to 2022 "rush hour"

I think comparing the footage explains everything as to why the New York subway was fine and had the budget for upkeep in the 1940's compared to today.
You had trains full of high paid professionals who could afford to pay for its upkeep through fares...not a customer base leaning towards lower income.

Last edited:
Ah yes a reminder that problems in the New York subway didn't exactly start yesterday...it's been there since at least the 1970's.

Notice the demographics of the people in this (pre-suburbanization) 1949 NYC subway film during "rush hour"

Now compare that to 2022 "rush hour"

I think comparing the footage explains everything as to why the New York subway was fine and had the budget for upkeep in the 1940's compared to today.
You had trains full of high paid professionals who could afford to pay for its upkeep through fares...not a customer base leaning towards lower income.
What do you think of Urumqi subway? do you know the population in Urumqi?

What do you think of Urumqi subway? do you know the population in Urumqi?

Yes, it says the population is 4 million

1000px-%C3%9Cr%C3%BCmqi_Metro_Map.svg.png

Looks like it doesn't have 400 stations. How come? If they have half the population of New York why don't they have 200 stations??? Why are they cheapskates and not put in 200 stations?? What is China's problem??

You also stated 100 cities in China with over a million population have not put in subways. How come? We even have cities with less than a million people that have subways...how come China doesn't have more? What's China's problem?

Did they decide that putting a subway in cities with less than a million population isn't very cost effective or something? I guess shame on them for being cheapskates and not blindly paying for it all.

Last edited:
American public transportation is truly hell realm. Typically unless you are in a very urban city like NYC, Chicago or San Francisco, only the poor take public transport because it’s too slow, dirty and dangerous.

Yes, it says the population is 4 million

1000px-%C3%9Cr%C3%BCmqi_Metro_Map.svg.png

Looks like it doesn't have 400 stations. How come? If they have half the population of New York why don't they have 200 stations??? Why are they cheapskates and not put in 200 stations?? What is China's problem??

You also stated 100 cities in China with over a million population have not put in subways. How come? We even have cities with less than a million people that have subways...how come China doesn't have more? What's China's problem?

Did they decide that putting a subway in cities with less than a million population isn't very cost effective or something? I guess shame on them for being cheapskates and not blindly paying for it all.
NYC’s metro population is actually about 20 million.

Urumqi is probably more comparable to cities in Texas like Dallas or Houston because it is sprawled out and has low population density. Shanghai is the most comparable to NYC in China.

Back
Top Bottom