What's new

Kingdom pressing Pakistan to abandon IP gas pipeline.

SA should realize that Pk desperately needs the pipeline. Pakistanis were very understanding of SA links to India, its time for SA to show the same level of 'understanding'. That is if Zardari grows a pair of balls overnight :D

^^ Iranian mullah regime, trolling Pakistan on gas issue.. by no means can be influenced by any Pakistani decision.

Just a little cheap politics by bunch of Pakistanis, ahead of FM visit to Saudi Arabia.

We as a nation should have supported her visit to make most out of it.

Centre of deobandis is india and pakistan not KSA and preaching of islam all over world is going on under Deobands and Raiwind Ijtaimah :D

brother read the history of deobandis.. they are an offshoots of Najdi/Wahabis branch

Iranian mullah regime, trolling Pakistan on gas issue.. by no means can be influenced by any Pakistani decision.

Mate , actually I do not like the Ayatollah's Govt and policies but neither do I like that of the House of Saud ... Basically , both are almost the same - continuing the same Arab / Persian rivalry and trying to gain influence in the region and Islamic world though Iran is still a lot better than KSA in a lot of things , they do not have thousands of members of royal family sucking out the nation's wealth and they do have democracy even though the Mullah are the final authority ... Then why are you endorsing KSA and condemning Iran even though both are playing for their interests ? Double standards , much ? Do not you remember what happened last time when we leaned towards the Saudi block which are culminating in the events of today ? Think of your country's interest ! Nobody in the GCC block even condemned the Salala or Abbotabad attack and UAE even tried to put pressure on Pakistan to let the Americans continue to use the air base , not to mention the Qatar and Bahrain involvement in the Baluchistan insurgency ... The same was done by Iran in the past to get influence by rallying Shia support but it wasn't even anywhere close to the mess the Arabs had created in Pakistan and in a manner right ... Today we fight the same BLA/Jundallah ... There's no such thing as brotherhood , only interests !

P.S The pipeline is laid upto the Iranian border and Tehran has agreed to lay out the Pakistani one and if this deal is stopped or delayed , then Islamabad has to pay penalty ... We as a nation should look for our own interests - not be a slave or AID recipient of the Kingdom unless of course you are one of those who think protecting the Arabs and specially the Royal family's at whole or their interests is some sort of religious duty for them !

What pipeline? Iran is supplying oil to US troops in Afghanistan, without pipeline!

:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Mate you are now making things up ! Honestly , If i start to remind you how the Arab monarch got their Kingdoms , you will loath them to eternity ... So , please leave it ... Didn't the Arab world help Iraq ( even though it was the aggressor ) against Iran and later fought it itself with Zionist support ? :azn: ... Spare me the " Ummah " bull **** ...

I think National Interest of Pakistan is Pakistani Decision , what Saudia should know is that

Well said bro ... I wish everybody thinks like that honestly !

The national interests of Pakistan are foremost - the Arab/Persian rivalry can go to hell for all I care ...

For the Govt " Take the better deal whether its coming from Riyadh or Tehran "

Kingdom is Pakistan's time tested friend, and must understand the gravity of our energy crisis. Their concerns of Pakistan tilting towards Iran strategically just because of a damn pipe are misread and miscalculated.

@The Legend @Mosamania

Oh, dear God. Imagine if those Saudis will ever think you guys are getting closer to Iran! Wouldn't that be a shame? A neighbor? How dare you! Instead you guys should just import Arab/Salafi culture to Pakistan, to watch how Pakistan is slowly getting destroyed. If this pipeline somehow manages to fail, I would support Iran closing the border with Pakistan, end all relations and oppose Pakistani influence in Afghanistan and work more together with India on strategic issues. Its just pathetic how Pakistanis are so obsessed with Saudis.

You are either with us, or against us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just can't understand how Pakistanis are so looking up to Saudis.

I'm no fan of the Iranian regime, but Iran has a lot more to offer to Pakistan than any Arab country will ever can! Tell me Pakistanis, what can you guys really learn from Saudis? What can KSA offer Pakistan, besides all those extremist ideologies they have spread in Afghanistan and Pakistan?

Can the Saudis offer Pakistan security, scientific knowledge or anything else valuable?

As I see it, Pakistan and Iran are historical brothers. A large portion of Pakistanis are of Iranic origin, and can trace their origins back to the Indo-Iranian people, descendants of the ancient Aryans, who have shaped the place we are living in as no other people have ever done. You guys could do so much better. The potential is there, but you guys have just chosen the wrong role models!

I just can't understand how Pakistanis are so looking up to Saudis.

I'm no fan of the Iranian regime, but Iran has a lot more to offer to Pakistan than any Arab country will ever be! Tell me Pakistanis, what can you guys really learn from Saudis? What can KSA offer Pakistan, besides all those extremist ideologies they have spread in Afghanistan and Pakistan?

Can the Saudis offer Pakistan security, scientific knowledge or anything else valuable?

As I see it, Pakistan and Iran are historical brothers. A large portion of Pakistanis are of Iranic origin, and can trace their origins back to the Indo-Iranian people, descendants of the ancient Aryans, who have shaped the place we are living in as no other people have ever done. You guys could do so much better. The potential is there, but you guys have just chosen the wrong role models!

That's what I believe too, but Pakistani public have already been fundamentalised. They say Iranians are Shi'ites so it is not good to be friends with them.

Ḥashshāshīn;3722407 said:
That's what I believe too, but Pakistani public have already been fundamentalised. They say Iranians are Shi'ites so it is not good to be friends with them.

Tsjah, what can we do about it?

^^ Iranian mullah regime, trolling Pakistan on gas issue.. by no means can be influenced by any Pakistani decision.

Just a little cheap politics by bunch of Pakistanis, ahead of FM visit to Saudi Arabia.

We as a nation should have supported her visit to make most out of it.

We should support her visit no doubt. But we must have great relations with both Iran and Saudi Arabia. They are not mutually exclusive. For the interests of US, we must not give preference to one Muslim country over another. Iran is our neighbor and we cant afford to have all our borders in turmoil.

Tsjah, what can we do about it?
KSA has helped Pakistan a lot, there is no denying that - but it has also sent its extreme ideologies along with it. Pakistan needs to stay neutral on this Persian-Arab rivalry crap too.

I think the best solution to this problem is Secularization, a bit like Turkey in the 20s. Country and religion should be kept separate, but unfortunately, in Pakistan, mixing religion with politics is a quick way to earn a lot of votes.

‘IP pipeline to be built despite foreign, domestic pressures’

483244-pipelinephotofile-1356206155-141-640x480.JPG

Iran has committed $500 million for the IP pipeline project, along with some technical expertise.

LAHORE: Petroleum minister Dr Asim Hussain said the divisive Iran-Pakistan (IP) gas pipeline project will kick-off before the cessation of the current government despite all foreign and domestic pressures.

Adviser to the Prime Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Hussain, during his visit to the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (Aptma), said Pakistan was facing many challenges and pressures as the poor nation had always stayed divided among the same issues.

Hussain, on the occasion, announced 36 hours of gas supply in a week to the industrial sector of Punjab during the winter.

“We will start the project soon with the help of Iran as they have committed to provide $500 million for the project, with some technical support.”

Punjab’s industries are facing the brunt of the energy crisis.

He said that reasons for the prevailing energy crisis was not mismanagement, as understood by many, but wrong political decisions of the past as equal distribution of energy resources to provinces is a must for economic and industrial growth.

He went on to say that Punjab had huge reserves of shale gas, which we will start to drill as soon as energy-related policies have been established.

Hussain, however, said that gas consumers (domestic, commercial or industrial) will continue to face crisis till end of winter 2014. “Pakistan will exit the crisis phase soon, after which the masses will witness a better scenario than the present one,” he added.

“Pakistan’s total gas consumption is eight billion cubic feet per day (bcfd), whereas our total production is half – only four bcfd. The shortfall will be bridged in the coming years by addition of new wells, liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports and completion of the IP gas pipeline project,” he said.

The plan to bridge the shortfall through LNG imports will significantly increase the gas tariff for all consumers. The present tariff is cheap and the government is giving a subsidy of Rs300 for consumers who consume up to 300 units of gas.

Gas companies have expanded gas pipelines network by 200 kilometre (km) this year, which will add up the gas burden of 200 million cubic feet per day (mmcfd) in the system. Next year, the consumption and pipelines network expansion will be at the same pace and grow simultaneously, Hussain added.

As far as the issue of compressed natural gas (CNG) stations was concerned, he said that up to 80% of CNG station owners had taken a stay order and were not paying any tax. The long queues of vehicles are not due to the gas shortage but due to the increased demands of CNG especially after the fixing of new prices, which are much cheaper than petrol, he said.

Published in The Express Tribune, December 23rd, 2012.

Back
Top Bottom