What's new

'Kiss protest' held at Turkey subway station

'Their country, their rules' - Where is this slogan now gone? If someone doesn't like the rules, they may leave. Some goes for the Burka ban in France.

Ḥashshāshīn;4334949 said:
We have different views then. I would not want my children (i don't have any) to see this in public. Just public decency.

You have weird ideas of Public decency.

Nothing, my 2nd line was a different note from the first one. This is a matter of public decency, not religious.

Where did your idea of public decency came from??

Ḥashshāshīn;4334975 said:
So are you saying only religious people have decency?

No,I am saying religions have a weird and hypocritical notion of decency.

@Azazel @Peregrine.. stop personal abuse please.
ontopic: Can some turk tell us whether it is permissible in their culture to kiss in public @Neptune..

Last edited by a moderator:
images

Islamists attack Turkey ‘kissing protest’

Sunday, 26 May 2013

About 200 people staged the kissing protest on Saturday and Sunday after officials admonished a young couple for kissing in the street. (Photo courtesy: EPA)

Agencies -
Islamists attacked a group of kissing couples who locked lips in a Turkish metro station to protest a morality campaign by the authorities in Ankara, the local press reported on Sunday.

One person was stabbed when about 20 Islamists chanting “Allah Akhbar” (God is Greatest) and some carrying knives attacked the demonstrators on Saturday, the Milliyet and Hurriyet newspapers reported.

About 200 people staged the kissing protest after officials in the Ankara municipality, which is run by Turkey’s ruling Islamist-rooted Justice and Development Party (AKP), admonished a young couple for kissing in the street.

Turkey is predominantly Muslim but staunchly secular, although the government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has introduced several measures opponents see as a sign of the creeping Islamization of the country, including restrictions on alcohol.

On Saturday, dozens of couples have locked lips at a subway stop in Ankara, to protest subway authorities' admonishment of a couple that kissed in public.

Turkish media say that, earlier in the week, Ankara subway officials made an announcement asking passengers "to act in accordance with moral rules" after security cameras spotted the couple kissing.

The issue prompted an opposition lawmaker to question the Islamist-rooted ruling party, which many secularists fear wants to expand the role of Islam in Turkey, about whether subway officials were authorized to make such demands.

Some 100 people in the station kissed for several minutes in protest Saturday. Demonstrators carried signs reading "Free Kisses" and chanted slogans.

A pro-Islamist group of some 20 people staged a counter-protest. Police set up barricades between the groups.

And some Pakistanis in here still wonder why we don't like Erdogan, its things like this: telling people not to kiss in the metro. Hopefully there were some gay couples too, that will give those Islamists nightmares for weeks.

I believe there was one couple.

Personally, I think kissing in public is impolite and it's probably a cultural thing.

I hope the leftist extremists don't have a metro fellatio protest next. :lol:

Stabbing.

These people have nothing positive to contribute to the society and hence resort to violence to become vigilantes.

Should be hanged after being charged for treason and for creating chaos and that applies to any group that disrupts peace.

Personally, I think kissing in public is impolite and it's probably a cultural thing.

I hope the leftist extremists don't have a metro fellatio protest next. :lol:

these leftist extremists or kemalists realy are brainless thats why tayyip getting powerpul in rightist public generally represent % 70-75 voting between anatolian people they suppose to heve fun with tayyip this kissing protest again they will cry the next elections

Doesn't mean a damn thing what you personally think. The point is that they have (by the law) the right to do so and no subway staff can rid them of their rights. I myself came eye-to-eye with subway security in İstanbul when they found the right in themselves to push me away from the yellow line. I told the mentioned subject to lay his hands off me or I'd throw him under the fvcking train. Citizens of Ankara has every damn right to protest those announcements which goes against their freedom.

Kissing in public is a perfectly normal part of any human romance. More importantly, we aren't paying taxes to be told what to do.

Doesn't mean a damn thing what you personally think. The point is that they have (by the law) the right to do so and no subway staff can rid them of their rights. I myself came eye-to-eye with subway security in İstanbul when they found the right in themselves to push me away from the yellow line. I told the mentioned subject to lay his hands off me or I'd throw him under the fvcking train. Citizens of Ankara has every damn right to protest those announcements which goes against their freedom.

Kissing in public is a perfectly normal part of any human romance. More importantly, we aren't paying taxes to be told what to do.

Apparently the subway staff are also Turkish citizens and pay their taxes. I'm sure other riders didn't like it either.

Why do you want to make out with a girl in front of other people? Do you have any shame?

Back
Top Bottom