What's new

Korean Special forces convert to Islam

Sharjeel

BANNED
Reaction score
Ahead of Iraq Deployment, 37 Korean Troops Convert to Islam
"I became a Muslim because I felt Islam was more humanistic and peaceful than other religions. And if you can religiously connect with the locals, I think it could be a big help in carrying out our peace reconstruction mission." So said on Friday those Korean soldiers who converted to Islam ahead of their late July deployment to the Kurdish city of Irbil in northern Iraq.

At noon Friday, 37 members of the Iraq-bound "Zaitun Unit," including Lieutenant Son Hyeon-ju of the Special Forces 11th Brigade, made their way to a mosque in Hannam-dong, Seoul and held a conversion ceremony.

<div class='bbimg'>
2b9df9152ea5d18a521681dd382e7e07.jpg
</div>
Captain Son Jin-gu from Zaitoon Unit recites an oath at ceremony to mark his conversion to Islam at a mosque in Hannam-dong, Seoul on Friday. /Yonhap

The soldiers, who cleansed their entire bodies in accordance with Islamic tradition, made their conversion during the Friday group prayers at the mosque, with the assistance of the "imam," or prayer leader.

With the exception of the imam, all the Muslims and the Korean soldiers stood in a straight line to symbolize how all are equal before God and took a profession on faith.

They had memorized the Arabic confession, " Ashadu an La ilaha il Allah, Muhammad-ur-Rasool-Allah," which means, "I testify that there is no god but God (Arabic: Allah), and Muhammad is the Messenger of God."
Soldiers from Zaitoon Unit pray after conversion ceremony at a mosque in Hannam-dong, Seoul on Friday./Yonhap

<div class='bbimg'>
eccdc3c5d6f3551bf66c307ed6fb26f2.jpg
</div>
Moreover, as the faithful face the "Kaaba," the Islamic holy place in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, all Muslims confirm that they are brothers.

For those Korean soldiers who entered the Islamic faith, recent chances provided by the Zaitun Unit to come into contact with Islam proved decisive.

Taking into consideration the fact that most of the inhabitants of Irbil are Muslims, the unit sent its unreligious members to the Hannam-dong mosque so that they could come to understand Islam. Some of those who participated in the program were entranced by Islam and decided to convert.

A unit official said the soldiers were inspired by how important religious homogeneity was considered in the Muslim World; if you share religion, you are treated not as a foreigner, but as a local, and Muslims do not attack Muslim women even in war.

Zaitun Unit Corporal Paek Seong-uk (22) of the Army&#39;s 11th Division said, "I majored in Arabic in college and upon coming across the Quran, I had much interest in Islam, and I made up my mind to become a Muslim during this religious experience period [provided by the Zaitun Unit]."

He expressed his aspirations. "If we are sent to Iraq, I want to participate in religious ceremonies with the locals so that they can feel brotherly love and convince them that the Korean troops are not an army of occupation but a force deployed to provide humanitarian support."

mashallah, may allah give them peace and prosperity.

I hope its because they understand what Islam really is, not because they will be able to continue the mission in Iraq.

Originally posted by WebMaster@Dec 26 2005, 11:24 AM
I hope its because they understand what Islam really is, not because they will be able to continue the mission in Iraq.
[post=4822]Quoted post[/post]​

Surprising news US send those troops to Iraq to help the American troops in this way they will also spread Islam in their back homes i am really happy with this news. I think they must be Budhists previously.Iraq was a big stronghold of Islam and the teachings of Islam are better delivered as compared to the subcontinent because they converted to Islam in the earlier period.I wish i could go there whether in Iran or Iraq or in Egypt to see the Pyramids

Originally posted by kashifshahzad@Dec 26 2005, 10:10 AM
Surprising news US send those troops to Iraq to help the American troops in this way they will also spread Islam in their back homes i am really happy with this news. I think they must be Budhists previously.Iraq was a big stronghold of Islam and the teachings of Islam are better delivered as compared to the subcontinent because they converted to Islam in the earlier period.I wish i could go there whether in Iran or Iraq or in Egypt to see the Pyramids
[post=4824]Quoted post[/post]​

Yah, it is a great news indeed. Islam is a beautiful religion, only if some non-muslims fully understand he/she will be converted immediately, because how much right and similar it is.

they where taken to a mosque in south korea for a short course on islam...so they can better understand it and understand the people in iraq when they get there...

but they liked islam so much...they are now muslims...they did not learn islam from iraq...

this news is from 2004.

Originally posted by Yahya@Dec 26 2005, 07:00 PM
they where taken to a mosque in south korea for a short course on islam...so they can better understand it and understand the people in iraq when they get there...

but they liked islam so much...they are now muslims...they did not learn islam from iraq...

this news is from 2004.
[post=4832]Quoted post[/post]​

Nice very nice. Though i doubt that they became muslims after that short course on islam, it was rather a vast knowledge that they already had.

The short course is probably that of when somebody becomes muslim in the masjid we do a little pray etc.. its maybe that.

great news its shows the unique attraction of islam. Islam is a religion of peace and harmony which divide all the muslims into one single society with equal rights .I wonder why several people consider islam as an extemist religion and compare jihad with terror when they even know what Jihad actually is there is 2 types of jihads
1) Jihad bin Nafs
2) Jihad against those from whom ur unsafe

Jihad bin Nafs the first form of jihad is to do jihad with ur self against evil and bad thoughts and doings

thouh its a gd news but there still is a possibility that they didnot became muslim because in army ur not allowed to attend religous ceremonies etc or else u have to bear severe consequences i think its just a propoganda to show that these Special forces soldiers have been converted to islam so that they can mix up with the local people in iraq

Quality is important not quantity.

Billion plus muslims and most of them are asss backward people. Why do you guys give a damn about news such as this? I always cringe at such news. Muslims don't need more brathren. Muslims need education.

Just wondering guys , nothing against Ur great religion , but how many Hindus/Sikhs do you see here opening threads on , " xyz converts to Hiduism/Sikhism"? just curious..
and pls stop saying the quotes over and over , " Islam is a religion of Peace" , in fact ALL the religions are Religions of Peace.
NO?

Yes! very true...Alhamdolillah! may Allah SBWT open their heart for his love , peace and divine wisdom as preached by our prophet/Rasool-Allah Muhammed(&#1589;&#1604;&#1609; &#1575;&#1604;&#1604;&#1607; &#1593;&#1604;&#1610;&#1607; &#1608;&#1587;&#1604;&#1605;.).........SubhanAllah......:)

Back
Top Bottom