What's new

L&T Construction bags Rs 3,191 crore order for Dhaka Metro

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
https://www.financialexpress.com/in...-rs-3191-crore-order-for-dhaka-metro/1180575/

L&T Construction bags Rs 3,191 crore order for Dhaka Metro

Larsen & Toubro (L&T) today said L&T Construction has bagged a Rs 3,191 crore order from Dhaka Mass Transit Company for construction of a railway line for Dhaka Metro.

By: PTI | New Delhi | Published: May 25, 2018 10:39 AM
Shares
LnT-2.jpg
L&T said it has secured the order in JV with Marubeni Corporation (Japan) through an international competitive bidding process. (Reuters)
Larsen & Toubro (L&T) today said L&T Construction has bagged a Rs 3,191 crore order from Dhaka Mass Transit Company for construction of a railway line for Dhaka Metro. L&T said it has secured the order in JV with Marubeni Corporation (Japan) through an international competitive bidding process. “The railways strategic business group of L&T Construction’s transportation infrastructure business has won a major design and build order from the Dhaka Mass Transit Company (DMTC) worth Rs 3,191 crore for electrical and mechanical systems package of Dhaka Mass Rapid Transit Development Project (MRT – line 6),” the firm said in a BSE filing.

Line 6 is the first route of the Mass Rapid Transit system in Bangladesh. The project is funded by the Japan International Corporation agency (JICA) through bilateral aid from Japan to Bangladesh. Shares of the company were trading at Rs 1,339.90 apiece, up 0.09 per cent, on BSE.

L&T Construction’s transportation infrastructure business has won a major design and build order from the Dhaka Mass Transit Company (DMTC) worth Rs 3,191 crore for electrical and mechanical systems package of Dhaka Mass Rapid Transit Development Project (MRT – line 6)

Obviously L&T is a subcontractor to Marubeni - which will be answerable indirectly to DMTC for specs and SLA and delivery schedules. Marubeni is primary contractor.

L&T has supplied electro-mechanical items and HT/LT switchgear to Power Development Board in Bangladesh since 1975. L&T is probably one of the better Indian suppliers. Hopefully they will do well, being that the specs are set from Marubeni and adhered to by L&T.

Obviously L&T is a subcontractor to Marubeni - which will be answerable indirectly to DMTC for specs and SLA and delivery schedules. Marubeni is primary contractor.

L&T has supplied electro-mechanical items and HT/LT switchgear to Power Development Board in Bangladesh since 1975. L&T is probably one of the better Indian suppliers. Hopefully they will do well, being that the specs are set from Marubeni and adhered to by L&T.

It's fine, as long as the trade deficit grows and expands, and Dada gets it way in the end through you hanging onto "primary contractor waaaah" optics. You always do a lousy job of disguising your chotolok LDC butthurt :D.

Now do similar specs setting for all the other stuff you import instead of crying about the perceived quality you get.

Seriously you post this here at same time as:

(just to help sell India's unsaleable products)

and expect to be taken seriously? Soooo unsaleable L&T is right?

So its good to ram the reality in regardless as always :D...open wide!

Just a note - lot of Sanghis here will try to muckrake and say that I always badmouth ALL Indian suppliers and India itself. This is not the case. I know quality, honesty and discipline anywhere. Even in India.

However I will not sugarcoat my opinion about Indian suppliers if they happen to be dishonest, for that matter Chinese ones as well.

Fair is fair.

It is my opinion (and that of many Bangladeshis in this forum) that the number of dishonest Indian suppliers (mostly small time outfits) is disproportionately large, It is a marque and a seal unique to India. I don't know why it is, it just is. Sorry...but even Indians know it. :coffee:

Larsen and Toubro as a company was found by foreigners (Danes) in India even before WWII to supply local projects and their reputation is outside of the norm in Indian industrial circles as far as reliability and quality of projects. Most of the larger Indian companies in the fortune 500 are of course all reputed companies. They care about their reputation because they are in it for the long haul.

The smaller firms, not so much. Very short term focus of cheatery and fraud - which is the norm and then 'take the money, cut and run'. At the expense of their reputation (and India's as well).

Bangladeshis rarely face this type of issue with Singaporean, Korean, Chinese and Taiwanese suppliers. And never with US or Japanese suppliers.

Go talk to businesspeople in any country in Asia, the Middle East and most of Europe and see what their opinion is about this. It is India's PR issue that it needs to correct by reigning in and disciplining these types of shady exporters in order to salvage a better image.

It's fine, as long as the trade deficit grows and expands, and Dada gets it way in the end through you hanging onto "primary contractor waaaah" optics. You always do a lousy job of disguising your chotolok LDC butthurt :D.

Now do similar specs setting for all the other stuff you import instead of crying about the perceived quality you get.
Do not worry about BD's trade deficit. Our PDF posters have suggested to buy all the high technology capital goods from others. How much it will cost? At least, it is $3,000 billion if the PDF guys want to raise BD GDP to 1 trillion dollar. @Nilgiri, do not worry. BD will soon start printing dollars and Euros to cover up the trade deficit.

Now, about L&T of India. Even if the quality of Indian products are lower than western countries, it does not matter because we are a low LDC. However, I believe that involvement of Marubeni of Japan with L&T guarantees a certain level of quality. Any Japanese company, not only Marubeni, are quality conscious. So, definitely high quality goods will be supplied by L&T in accordance with the specifications.

Marubeni is not an engineering company, but a trading company. It is big name company throughout the world. Usually, it works on the plant related tenders on behalf of Japanese engineering companies, and bring finances for those projects.

Last edited:
Good for us. Doha, Riyadh, Mauritius and now Dhaka.:-)

What do you get out of it?

Strange people. Seems like you win bag of roti and daal for taking pride and showing nationalism in a private company doing work outside country somewhere. LMAO

“Good for us” - hey hey.. Roti abhi milega.. yum yum aint ate for ages....

What do you get out of it?

Strange people. Seems like you win bag of roti and daal for taking pride and showing nationalism in a private company doing work outside country somewhere. LMAO

“Good for us” - hey hey.. Roti abhi milega.. yum yum aint ate for ages....
Urmm. Mr. doofus, I'm a JE in Electrical dpt at L&T constructions. Hence my comment.

Now, about L&T of India. Even if the quality of Indian products are lower than western countries,

Well L&T has competed against the best of western/japanese/chinese bidders in Middle East and many other places...they often get the bid....and don't tell me places like UAE, KSA etc have no money and only buy low quality.

Quality of Indian products in goods and services India exports is dependent on the market requirements...as India grows and matures, it will also shift more and more capability to deploy more competition and confidence in broader economic sectors.

I mean you also mention capital goods. Just in export/import (forget domestic market size) trends (2014) for capital goods:

India imports 91 billion USD

India exports 33 billion USD (i.e finances about 36% of its capital goods import)

BD imports 9.5 billion USD

BD exports 135 million USD (i.e finances about 1.4% of its capital goods import)

I wouldn't begin to compare India with 1993 or even 1980 South Korea (by 1993 Korea was exporting around 100% value of what it was importing in capital goods for example)....yet your compatriots are doing so...for Bangladesh.

Urmm. Mr. doofus, I'm a JE in Electrical dpt at L&T constructions. Hence my comment.

Nice! Congrats buddy :) That is promising career ahead of you.

With Dhaka metro order, Marubeni aims to unclog Asia's streets
Japanese trading house and India's Larsen join hands in Bangladeshi capital

Nikkei staff writers June 01, 2018 07:39 JST

Dhaka's traffic congestion represents an urgent issue, as it costs the city over $2 billion a year in economic activity. (Photo by Yuji Kuronuma)
TOKYO -- Trading house Marubeni will build signal, ticketing and other systems for the first metropolitan railway in the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka, seeing business opportunities in combating traffic and pollution in Asian cities.

Dhaka plans to build six mass rapid transit routes, with lines 1, 5 and 6 scheduled to open in the 2020s. Dhaka Mass Transit, a company under the transportation ministry, will place an order worth 55 billion yen ($505 million) that covers the 20km Line 6, an elevated rail line that will have 16 stations connecting the city's north and south sides.

Marubeni will receive the order jointly with Indian construction and engineering company Larsen & Toubro.

The Japanese company will deliver signal and communications systems that comply with Japanese standards and are known for safety and timeliness. The order will include rails, ticket machines and other equipment.

Other Japanese companies are also involved in construction of Line 6. More orders are expected for Japanese companies for the other five lines.

Bangladesh has long-distance track connecting the capital to regional cities but lacks metropolitan rail.

Line 6 originally was scheduled to open in 2019, but bidding was delayed by a terrorist attack at a Dhaka bakery in July 2016 that killed over 20 people, including seven from Japan who were conducting a survey for the transit system.

Dhaka's population of roughly 15 million appears likely to reach 20 million in 2025 thanks to economic growth. The city's economic losses from traffic congestion are estimated to surpass $2 billion a year, and air pollution is also severe. Line 6 is expected to carry about 500,000 passengers daily and reduce north-south travel time to about 30 minutes from two hours by car.

A variety of mass rapid transit and light rapid transit projects are sprouting up around Asia to deal with traffic and other consequences of economic development. Japan's exports of domestically manufactured trains, excluding high-speed rail, totaled 94 cars in fiscal 2016, the Japan Association of Rolling Stock Industries said. That figure is expected to reach 150 in fiscal 2019 and about 200 in fiscal 2020.

Reorganization in ongoing in the global railroad industry. Chinese train maker CRRC -- born from the merger of CSR and China CNR -- is accelerating its expansion abroad, while Germany's Siemens and France's Alstom plan to combine their rail operations.

Though Bangladesh poses challenges such as political instability and religious conflict, Japanese companies are eager to expand abroad as Chinese train producers -- promoting the country's Belt and Road Initiative -- and other rivals advance into Asia. CRRC recently won an order with Canada's Bombardier for a monorail in Bangkok.

Marubeni aims to attract more orders from Asia, which it views as a major growth market, by promoting benefits such as lower operating costs thanks to the technological prowess of Japanese train makers and the "internet of things."

DMTC to sign contract deal for 7th Metro development package

On June 3rd, contract deal for 7th package (of 8 total) will be signed for railway track construction, power substation and train power development, construction of signaling system, development of telecommunication system (for full cell phone coverage for passengers), fare gate construction, platform screen door construction and procurement/installation of elevators and escalators for stations

33990088_1168884996586927_895705611285561344_n.jpg

34035364_1168885009920259_4479389016982028288_n.jpg

33990824_1168884989920261_4937491053407109120_n.jpg

34067479_1168885076586919_4210075257349865472_n.jpg

That's interesting. Formerly associated with L&T ECC as a Senior Engineer. How is the work environment these days? Still plagued with Brutal workhours?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom