What's new

Lahore women college bans jeans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The western countries dont wear Pakistani clothes, why should Pakistanis wear western clothes. Wearing western clothes does not make people move ahead with the world. We Pakistanis have our own beautiful culture, we have our own beautiful clothing that are way more comfortable than western clothes. In the 90's and 80's you would hardly see any girl wearing jeans, they would always wear shalwar kameez, except for maybe in Karachi and Pakistan was doing much better then than now. At that time, we used to follow our culture and traditions, now people are starting to follow the west and india and its just making the new generation confused.

Our clothing is shalwar kameez, we are Pakistanis. If they were in a foreign country like US or UK I understand but they are in Pakistan.

Definately its pakistan's or clothing as being a muslim country, but just think what if all countries imply the same rule that ppls living in their countiy should wear dresses according to their countires culture, will that be ok. :what: I dont think that would be good idea, so its better to leave the choice of what to wear and what not to wear on that person.

I dont say wearing traditional or cultural dress is not good, but its the persons choice of what He/She wear and should be respected. ya definately till certain extent. And you know what i mean.

In traditional dress man or women look way too adorable then in fancy dresses and is do accept that AliFarooq :enjoy:

We have cultural nitwits in India too who seem to think they were appointed to determine what is and what is not a part of Indian culture. I hate the lot of them. :tsk:

What did our girls do to stop the cultural nitwits...:cheesy:

I think people who think its not a bad thing to force - a ban on jeans.

I think may be taliban should make all the male wear - a shalwar kamiz wit duppata.

Then i would liek to ask - most female members on PDF to say - WELL I don't think its an bad idea- i actually like men in salwar kamiz rather it will be better to see them in mini skirt roaming on the street of karachi.

--------------------
What people we have - how can somebody force or ban clothing - its question of personal choice.

We Pakistani men do wear shalwar kameez as well. From May-August is really hot in Pakistan so shalwar kameez is much more comfortable to wear in hot weather.

P.S. Indians' shalwar are even tighter then jeans you guys should really start loosening the shalwars like how Pakistani shalwars are, its really comfortable believe me.

Very funny about the dopatta comment. :rofl:

Indians would never understand our culture.

I think its good that they banned jeans. Pakistan is a Muslim country and we have our own culture. Jeans for women is not our Pakistani culture. I was born in the 80's but when I see old tv programs from the 80's I miss that innocence that we once had.

Pakistan shouldn't imitate the west or India. We should be proud of our culture, our clothing, shalwar kameez. With such hot weather in Lahore these days, who wants to wear jeans when shalwar kameez is so much more comfortable.

Ref: Bold part

...and jeans for men is?? Why not ban jeans for everybody? Come to think of it why not ban shirts and trousers too?? Why the special treatment to women? You were born in the 80s you say. Don't tell me that u have been wearing shalwar khameez every single day of your life.

I'm very amused when the so called protectors of Pakistani/Indian
culture (as the case may be) always concentrate on the western influences on the country's women? You want to change things start yourself. And don't expect everyone else to follow because its everyone's personal choice.

Definately its pakistan's or clothing as being a muslim country, but just think what if all countries imply the same rule that ppls living in their countiy should wear dresses according to their countires culture, will that be ok. :what: I dont think that would be good idea, so its better to leave the choice of what to wear and what not to wear on that person.

I dont say wearing traditional or cultural dress is not good, but its the persons choice of what He/She wear and should be respected. ya definately till certain extent. And you know what i mean.

In traditional dress man or women look way too adorable then in fancy dresses and is do accept that AliFarooq :enjoy:

In every socity there is a norm. If I go around walking in the middle of Kansas, U.S. in shalwar kameez people will think I'm crazy, it was not normal for girls to wear jeans in Pakistan. Now days in some areas its becoming normal, but we shouldn't forget our culture and shouldn't forget who we are and understand the society is Pakistan.

Ref: Bold part

...and jeans for men is?? Why not ban jeans for everybody? Come to think of it why not ban shirts and trousers too?? Why the special treatment to women? You were born in the 80s you say. Don't tell me that u have been wearing shalwar khameez every single day of your life.

I'm very amused when the so called protectors of Pakistani/Indian
culture (as the case may be) always concentrate on the western influences on the country's women? You want to change things start yourself. And don't expect everyone else to follow because its everyone's personal choice.

We are Pakistanis and Muslims. You wouldn't understand our culture. You remind me of those evangelists on youtube who tell us Muslims why dont men cover their hair, why can men wear shorts and not women?

You dont understand our culture and religion. Simple as that.

We Pakistani men do wear shalwar kameez as well. From May-August is really hot in Pakistan so shalwar kameez is much more comfortable to wear in hot weather.

P.S. Indians' shalwar are even tighter then jeans you guys should really start loosening the shalwars like how Pakistani shalwars are, its really comfortable believe me.

Very funny about the dopatta comment. :rofl:

Indians would never understand our culture.

Yes, shalwars may be comfortable. There is nothing wrong with your national dress. And those women who find it comfortable will continue wearing it. but how can you justify forcing someone to wear/not wear a particular kind of clothing unless its so revealing that it violates some law of indecent exposure or something, and we know jeans are not revealing.

BTW, I agree colleges can impose whatever dress code they want to, I was responding to your statement that women should not wear jeans in pakistan because you think its not part of your culture.

And we may not understand your culture but we do recognize the right of a woman to make her own choices about something as mundane as the clothes she wears.

Dont know about how its feel in shalwar kameez for men, but the reason given by Omer of Summer heat its damn true. And as shalwar kameez is their cultural dressing and very loose its better during heat season.

Its has nothing to do of Indian's not understanding you culture, but its more about requirement or needs of human living in different locations and adapt to the sorrounding and environment.

Same as in Saudi, will ppls there wear Jeans :rolleyes:, hell no. Same is every where in the world.

this reminds me of my good ol' days:cry:

err..ahem! wake up guys!
Lahore women college has a uniform already..white shalwar kameez and colored dupatta which signifies the grade (FSc., BSc., MSc. etc)
and Kinnaird college never had a uniform (casual chic)but jeans wasn't allowed either..and not to mention the capri pants.
council members (the spies :P) fined me twice:undecided:

Yes, shalwars may be comfortable. There is nothing wrong with your national dress. And those women who find it comfortable will continue wearing it. but how can you justify forcing someone to wear/not wear a particular kind of clothing unless its so revealing that it violates some law of indecent exposure or something, and we know jeans are not revealing.

BTW, I agree colleges can impose whatever dress code they want to, I was responding to your statement that women should not wear jeans in pakistan because you think its not part of your culture.

And we may not understand your culture but we do recognize the right of a woman to make her own choices about something as mundane as the clothes she wears.

Sorry Pakistan can never be like India and allow women to wear mini skirts in public. Pakistan is a Muslim state, we dont claim to be secular.

:pakistan:

In every socity there is a norm. If I go around walking in the middle of Kansas, U.S. in shalwar kameez people will think I'm crazy, it was not normal for girls to wear jeans in Pakistan. Now days in some areas its becoming normal, but we shouldn't forget our culture and shouldn't forget who we are and understand the society is Pakistan.

I fully agree with your point and its valid point. :enjoy: But in the name of culture or whatever reason is behind this "Lahore women college bans jeans" one should be biased towards gender, thats my point. :agree:

I fully agree with your point and its valid point. :enjoy: But in the name of culture or whatever reason is behind this "Lahore women college bans jeans" one should be biased towards gender, thats my point. :agree:

Well in our culture and religion its allowed for men to wear shorts and not for women. Pakistan is a Muslim state we never claimed to be secular. Our religion always played an important role in our culture and our society.

@ Omar1984
Well in our culture and religion its allowed for men to wear shorts
I have to disagree here.Considering the religious limitation, men are not allowed to wear shorts....because there is a question "how short is too short?" or for that matter "how much is too much?":D
You guys arent gonna tread upon our toes wearing shorts:P

Culture and religion both play a crucial role in maintaining society from being out of order. Every one know if there is no restriction then just imagin what would be the condition, ya Judicial system is there but Culture and religion is more important as it effect every and all level of ppls.

Well in our culture and religion its allowed for men to wear shorts and not for women. Pakistan is a Muslim state we never claimed to be secular. Our religion always played an important role in our culture and our society.

Well I have seen numerous posts by pakistani members saying that
1. islam tells both men and women to dress modestly and
2. There is no coersion or compulsion in islam.

how is your culture different from islam? :what:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom