What's new

Lockheed Martin CEO: Saudi Arabia wants early warning satellites

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Joseph Rank, CEO of Lockheed Martin said the satellite (SGS-1) is essential to military operations, and now Saudi Arabia is looking to procure several other systems, including space-based early warning — a satellite that can detect regional threats before they are even launched..

1654435549430.png

Of course, these satellites have electromagnetic, thermal and electro-optical sensors
Three factors with the most important scale factor.. the variable fusion Intelligent sensing
These factors can even cover enemy countries and direct the satellites on them by sensing

https://www.kacst.edu.sa/internal/4970

This will be in combination with the ground BMD radars.. most likely the S-band Long Range Discrimination Radar (LRDR)

1654437018331.png

Which types of satellites could those be? Do we know?

I thought that Biden did not want to engage the "pariah" that is Saudi Arabia as claimed by him. Now I read that he is about to visit.

Which satellites, other than the one mentioned in the article, and radars does Saudi Arabia operate?

israel can sell also
If Israel amicably resolves the conflict with the Palestinians, I think the gulf arabs would become their largest defence customers and would build stronger relations. Its more mutually exclusive than with the US.

israel can sell also

Why would Saudi Arabia buy any weapons from Israel? For starters Saudi Arabia does not recognize Israel. There is zero trade between the two countries. Saudi Arabia can buy better weapons from multiple sources as well.

If anything Saudi Arabia can always use UAE and Bahrain if they want any Israeli teach.

If Israel amicably resolves the conflict with the Palestinians, I think the gulf arabs would become their largest defence customers and would build stronger relations. Its more mutually exclusive than with the US.

Nothing points to that and why would Saudi Arabia limit itself to Israel? From what I have read, the Saudi Vision 2030 aims at limiting weapons imports to just 50%. Their defence spending has been decreasing in recent years as well.Not sure how that goes hand in hand with being largest customers of Israeli weapons. As a side note, Saudi Arabians are not “Gulf Arabs”. They don’t even speak Khaliji Arabic. For starters the whole “Gulf Arab” designaction should be officially changed to Eastern Arabians or Peninsula Arabs. We don’t call ourselves “Arabian Sea Pakistanis”.

Last edited:
Why would Saudi Arabia buy any weapons from Israel? For starters Saudi Arabia does not recognize Israel. There is zero trade between the two countries. Saudi Arabia can buy better weapons from multiple sources as well.

If anything Saudi Arabia can always use UAE and Bahrain if they want any Israeli teach.

Nothing points to that and why would Saudi Arabia limit itself to Israel? From what I have read, the Saudi Vision 2030 aims at limiting weapons imports to just 50%. Their defence spending has been decreasing in recent years as well.Not sure how that goes hand in hand with being largest customers of Israeli weapons. As a side note, Saudi Arabians are not “Gulf Arabs”. They don’t even speak Khaliji Arabic. For starters the whole “Gulf Arab” designaction should be officially changed to Eastern Arabians or Peninsula Arabs. We don’t call ourselves “Arabian Sea Pakistanis”.

The gulf arab chat aside, the Saudi's will need to build an industrial base for weapons manufacturing and advance R&D centres. 2030 seems ambitious to achieve that. They will likely continue to import the heavy stuff including satellites from others.

The gulf arab chat aside, the Saudi's will need to build an industrial base for weapons manufacturing and advance R&D centres. 2030 seems ambitious to achieve that. They will likely continue to import the heavy stuff including satellites from others.
I agree which is what they have been doing and are doing. Look at their impressive educational, if I am not wrong the highest ranked universities in the Islamic world, industrial and technological growth in the past decade and in particular since MbS emerged. Not to mention the economic growth where the non-oil and gas sectors have grown by a lot. Foreign Investment has never been bigger as well. They are definetely moving in the right direction.

Anyway I disagree in regards to Israel. If, big if, there will be official relations between Saudi Arabia and Israel without an Independent Palestine, I don’t think that Israel would sell or share any crucial tech with Saudi Arabia or any other Arab state for that matter. I could be wrong of course.

Last edited:
I agree which is what they have been doing and are doing. Look at their impressive educational, if I am not wrong the highest ranked universities in the Islamic world, industrial and technological growth in the past decade and in particular since MbS emerged. Not to mention the economic growth where the non-oil and gas sectors have grown by a lot. Foreign Investment has never been bigger as well. They are definetely moving in the right direction.

Anyway I disagree in regards to Israel. If, big if, there will be official relations between Saudi Arabia and Israel without an Independent Palestine, I don’t think that Israel would sell or share any crucial tech with Saudi Arabia or any other Arab state for that matter. I could be wrong of course.
I said in context of there being an independent Palestine which has peace treaty with Israel. Other points you mentioned I agree with.

Which types of satellites could those be? Do we know?

I thought that Biden did not want to engage the "pariah" that is Saudi Arabia as claimed by him. Now I read that he is about to visit.

Which satellites, other than the one mentioned in the article, and radars does Saudi Arabia operate?
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/rada...-the-kacst-vs-nasa-and-isro-challenge.681621/

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/saud...ir-warfare-center.683341/page-3#post-12693610

The Saudi satellite program was launched in the mid-eighties..... and the reality of it came with the launch of the first Saudi satellite..

Arabsat 1A
1654622950916.png

Arabsat 1B

Arabsat 1C

Arabsat 2A
1654623137329.png

Arabsat 2B

Arabsat 3A (Badr-3)

Arabsat 4A (Badr-1)
1654623281480.png

Arabsat 4B (Badr-3
)

Arabsat 4C (Badr-6)

Arabsat 5A
1654623388022.png

Arabsat 5B

Arabsat 5C

Arabsat 6A
1654623483349.png

Arabsat 6B

Arabsat 6E

These satellites were manufactured by French companies in cooperation with the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology ... In other words, these satellites are a joint Saudi-French industry..

The satellites that were made in Saudi Arabia:

Saudisat 1A ..Release date: 9/26/2000
1654623650917.png

Saudisat 1B
1654623834651.png

The success of launching these two satellites was the first step in establishing the position of Saudi Arabia at the global level in such aerospace industries.

For the first time Saudi Arabia was able to manufacture a full satellite on its lands .. with the hands of its young men ..with Saudi equipment .. And all of that was in the year 2000..

Saudisat 1C ..Release date: December 20, 2002
1654624046883.png

SaudiComsat 1, 2
1654624587625.png

SaudiComsat 3 ,4 ,5 ,6 ,7

Saudisat 2

1654624662151.png

Saudisat 3
1654624720143.png

Saudisat-4

Saudisat-5

Saudi Sat 5A and Saudi Sat 5B
1654625157543.png

King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology announced the monitoring of two Saudi satellites, “Saudisat 5a” and “Saudisat 5b,”.. Praise be to God, with their first pass over the skies of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia within their low orbit around the Earth..
The two were launched on board the Chinese Long March 2D missile, from Jiuquan Air Force Base in the People's Republic of China..

The city said, in a statement issued today, that contact was made with the two satellites from the Command and Control Center at King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology..

SGS-1 Saudi Arabia’s newest commercial communications satellite, SaudiGeoSat-1

1654644094224.png

1654644491222.png

1654644532542.png

1654644288786.png

Space-based early warning satellites
1654643077887.png

1654643242096.png

1654643423788.png

Attachments

• 1654644064662.png
    1654644064662.png
    420.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/rada...-the-kacst-vs-nasa-and-isro-challenge.681621/

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/saud...ir-warfare-center.683341/page-3#post-12693610

The Saudi satellite program was launched in the mid-eighties..... and the reality of it came with the launch of the first Saudi satellite..

Arabsat 1A
View attachment 852205

Arabsat 1B

Arabsat 1C

Arabsat 2A
View attachment 852207

Arabsat 2B

Arabsat 3A (Badr-3)

Arabsat 4A (Badr-1)
View attachment 852208

Arabsat 4B (Badr-3
)

Arabsat 4C (Badr-6)

Arabsat 5A
View attachment 852209

Arabsat 5B

Arabsat 5C

Arabsat 6A
View attachment 852210

Arabsat 6B

Arabsat 6E

These satellites were manufactured by French companies in cooperation with the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology ... In other words, these satellites are a joint Saudi-French industry..

The satellites that were made in Saudi Arabia:

Saudisat 1A ..Release date: 9/26/2000
View attachment 852211

Saudisat 1B
View attachment 852212

The success of launching these two satellites was the first step in establishing the position of Saudi Arabia at the global level in such aerospace industries.

For the first time Saudi Arabia was able to manufacture a full satellite on its lands .. with the hands of its young men ..with Saudi equipment .. And all of that was in the year 2000..

Saudisat 1C ..Release date: December 20, 2002
View attachment 852213

SaudiComsat 1, 2
View attachment 852214

SaudiComsat 3 ,4 ,5 ,6 ,7

Saudisat 2

View attachment 852215

Saudisat 3
View attachment 852216

Saudisat-4

Saudisat-5

Saudi Sat 5A and Saudi Sat 5B
View attachment 852217

King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology announced the monitoring of two Saudi satellites, “Saudisat 5a” and “Saudisat 5b,”.. Praise be to God, with their first pass over the skies of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia within their low orbit around the Earth..
The two were launched on board the Chinese Long March 2D missile, from Jiuquan Air Force Base in the People's Republic of China..

The city said, in a statement issued today, that contact was made with the two satellites from the Command and Control Center at King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology..

SGS-1 Saudi Arabia’s newest commercial communications satellite, SaudiGeoSat-1

View attachment 852262

View attachment 852263

Space-based early warning satellites
View attachment 852258

View attachment 852259

View attachment 852260

Amazing. I did not know that Saudi Arabia had such an extensive experience in the field of satellites. Obviously much more is to come.

Thanks for that overview, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom