What's new

Majestic Balochistan.

Coming back to the Princess...
As we draw nearer to The Princess of Hope, I correct our driver: the actress he spoke of goes by the name of Angeline Jolie rather than Magelina Bolee.

He snorts.

Perhaps it is because our expectations had been lowered, but the Princess of Hope turned out to be an impressive sight at Buzi Pass. Wearing what resembles a heavy crown, the royal rock formation stares off haughtily into the horizon.

5503e84f31c87.jpg

5503e8496280d.jpg

Eager to give her a closer examination – and normalize the blood flow in our legs – we use the opportunity to trek nearer to the tourist attraction. After a short hike, we finally come within spitting distance of the Princess, who as someone in the group joked, up close seems to have more in common with a ninja turtle than a princess. I suppose like all royalty, this princess carries her secrets.

In close proximity to the Princess is an uncanny looking sphinx that has been completely shaped by nature, and is every bit as impressive.

5503ef9c1ad93.jpg

Paying respects at Nani Mandir

Our next destination in Hingol National Park is Hinglaj Temple (Nani Mandir), which is considered to be one of the oldest temples in the world, and an important place of pilgrimage for the Hindu population in Sindh.

If our drive to Buzi Pass was a visual treat, then our journey towards the Makran Coast is an even greater feast for the eyes.

My imagination goes into overdrive as the hills grow more awe-inspiring with every passing minute. While the hills we encountered earlier in the day resembled confectionery, the ones close to the Mandir’s valley are similar to the scaly back of a century old slumbering dragon. The river complements these visuals with its clear sparkling water.

5503ee8e60648.jpg

As the temperature spikes up to uncomfortable levels, my only disappointment is that the national park is devoid of any wildlife.

Upon reaching the historic location my mind wonders about how its inhabitants will receive us in a nation where minorities are often sidelined. As it turns out, the Hindus at Nani Mandir take example from the goodness of their deity, Hinglaj Mata, and welcome us with open arms.

5503f0a3ca11b.jpg

5503f0ace41f2.jpg

5503f183eedf0.jpg

The men are dressed in simple and clean shalwar kameez, while the women wear saris and their arms are covered in bangles. Here, we are offered a guided tour by the adults and sweets by the children.

The Hinglaj Mata temples are located in a sizable and picturesque canyon. As we walk between the temples and take in the red and gold decorated holy sites, I am struck by an aura of stillness, as if I am in the middle of an hour-long meditation. As if reading my mind, several strangers from our company echo similar thoughts. One half of a newly married couple remarks, “I am not a fan of holy sites, but I can’t help but feel there is something deep about this place.”

5503ee852e002.jpg

We depart an hour after our stay. This is to the visible dismay of ours hosts, who are sorry to see us go, and attempt to bribe us with chai.

Travel: Under the Balochistan sun - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

Pul e siraat --- @Leader

Hindu pilgrims visiting some old temple in hingol..

Its called "Koh e Murdar" ... n just some stories abt a half horse .. half man? monster living on it... and used to eat people... old story abt a sepoy on guard during the british rule etc... i dnt believe that nonsense..
A christian grave yard in Quetta city had two graves one of Mum and one of a British officer who killed that beast.
I specially visited that grave yard in very young age it was in 1993-4, also saw the statue of Mum which was fixed just beside the Mum's grave but was damaged by the people so at that time stored by the undertake in a small room. I can clearly recall it the face was like a female but the remaining body was like that of lion and having a bullet hole where it was shot. Perhaps something is buried in Mums grave.

Perhaps some one from Quetta may visit the christian grave yard and may found the statue.

A christian grave yard in Quetta city had two graves one of Mum and one of a British officer who killed that beast.
I specially visited that grave yard in very young age it was in 1993-4, also saw the statue of Mum which was fixed just beside the Mum's grave but was damaged by the people so at that time stored by the undertake in a small room. I can clearly recall it the face was like a female but the remaining body was like that of lion and having a bullet hole where it was shot. Perhaps something is buried in Mums grave.

Perhaps some one from Quetta may visit the christian grave yard and may found the statue.

It was one of those mideval styled statues you find in European countries... Nothing to do with the actually "legend"... Of a beast coming down from Koh e Murdar n feasting on soldiers..:lol:

I grew up believing that story lol.

:(
What a pity that this heaven on earth is being spoiled by insurgency and lack of government interest. I sincerely hope, i wish and pray that peace is restored in this beautiful part of not only Pakistan but perhaps the whole world. If i die without visiting this place and seeing all this beauty for myself i will be perhaps a very unlucky person, living so close by but still not able to visit due to the current situation there. :cry:

I hope peace is restored and Baluchistan makes immense progress, that is for me the ONLY way for Pakistan to progress.

Perhaps the CPEC passing through Baluchistan will help bring some stability as it will create some jobs. I hope Government can invest in Baluchistan, provide there people with the basic facilities, bring a financial improvement in the province and help raise the living conditions. The Gawadar port, the CPEC, a few industrial states, utilization of the natural resources of the area can and will revolutionize that part of our country and will yield positives for the whole nation. Once we provide some good economic reforms then we can focus on the rich potential for tourism industry and all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom