What's new

Make in India: Gurgaon-based Sun Group may partner Russia to make Kamov helicopters

The next one that gets hurt, when I actually point TO the facts! And if you missed it, it's the government itself that states, that the future for defence procurements is, the Government to Government route, which is exactly what this Kamov deal is. They haven't selected it as a winner of the LUH tender, which then would had been based on specific requirements of the forces and the MoD. So if you bypass these evaluation requirements and proper competitions, by making a selection only via G2G, that's a political procurement!

Wrong, the IAF requirement is for 126 fighters, in a competition with licence production in India, the PM (not the GoI) made a political move to aquire 36 fighters, off the shelf with just offsets diverted to India.
Pretty different don't you think?

I don't think it's more "fuel" efficient, but that it's the more efficient rotor design, as it increases the lift capability. But the Ka226 is still a twin engined helicopter, which therefor can't be more fuel efficient than a single engined helicopter. And if a twin engined helicopter is ok, why not simply order more Dhruvs, which are also designed and developed specifically for the Indian terrain and proved itself in high altitude operations?
Also, the coax rotor should require more maintenance than a single rotor design. The unit cost could be lower in a G2G deal, but operational cost and spare security (by the fact that the Fennec is a widely used helicopter in military and civil versions), clearly must speak against the Ka 226

Hi
Sir,
1.On fuel efficiency,I admit I might be wrong as I have no official figures to support me but they are French in origin so they are not bad either at fuel efficiency.
2.On its being twin engined and not going for Dhruv, sir Dhruv cannot act as a replacement to Cheetah and Cheetals as size does matters, I read some where that a smaller heli is more comfortable operating from high altitudes helipads, given they are often irregular and small. Chinook is an exception. Also the size of ka226T is comparable to Fennec but Dhruv is bigger and also it will be more costly.
3.On the side use of Fennec and it's availability of parts, I don't think spares will be a problem for this as they will be manufactured in India except it's engine(which will be most probably manufactured in France.)

Cheers and Thanks

So the reality is Modi got. just saved IAF @ss from UPA incompetence, corruption and apparent malafied intent.

Too sad to see that you actually have no clue whatsoever of what you are talking!

- LUH is an IA tender, not IAF (IAF just takes the same helicopter that IA selects)
- IA asked for investigation, but since no AW helicopter was shortlisted there was no relation to the LUH tender and Antony even urged the IA to select a winner
- the cancellation under the NDA therefor had no relation to corruption charges, but was to change the Indian licence manufacturer, since HAL is out now and Indian privat players prefered
- cancelling the tender, re-issuing it and evaluating the RFI replies while making a G2G side deal for a similar deal, can't be more obvious for a political deal, because it makes the re-issued tender pointless, but hey let's simply deny reality

Hi
Sir,
1.On fuel efficiency,I admit I might be wrong as I have no official figures to support me but they are French in origin so they are not bad either at fuel efficiency.

No problem, it actually is good to discuss defence matters with sane people like you, that actually are interested in the matters. Sure, the engines are likely to be better than Russian once, but 2 engines still consume more fuel and require more maintenance than one right? That's even one reason to go for smaller LUH's below the Dhruv, since you don't require the size or operational costs, for many of the basic roles. And when it comes to high altitude operations, if I remember correctly the Fennec made a record some years ago for the highest rescue mission, but the tailless design of the Kamov and the lower rotor dimensions are surely benefits too, the question however is, was that enough to make it preferable by the forces? Something we won't know anymore, since it's not a result of the tender.

3.On the side use of Fennec and it's availability of parts, I don't think spares will be a problem for this as they will be manufactured in India except it's engine(which will be most probably manufactured in France.)

Spare support is always an issue, since licence productions does not mean that the deal includes spare supply for all parts. Take the MKI as an example, where the spare supply from Russian companies is already a matter of concern and that although we produce a high ammount of parts in India. Same goes for the Cheetal helicopters, where Eurocopter said that they can't support the rotor production and maintenance anymore, although we still produce the helicopters at HAL and just ordered more, to bridge the gap created by scrapping and re-issuing the LUH tender.

I don't think it's more "fuel" efficient, but that it's the more efficient rotor design, as it increases the lift capability. But the Ka226 is still a twin engined helicopter, which therefor can't be more fuel efficient than a single engined helicopter.
In a conventional helo, almost 15% power goes to tail-rotor to counter act the torque from the main rotor, which isn't done with a coaxial rotor. Unless you got any source that show that ANY Single Engines have more than 17.65% fuel efficiency than the equivalent twin engined version, I'd say this is bullshit.

Too sad to see that you actually have no clue whatsoever of what you are talking!

- LUH is an IA tender not IAF (IAF just takes the same helicopter that IA selects)
- IA asked for investigation, but since no AW helicopter was shortlisted there was no relation to the LUH tender and Antony even urged the IA to select a winner
- the cancellation under the NDA therefor had no relation to corruption charges, but was to change the Indian licence manufacturer, since HAL is out now and Indian privat players prefered
- cancelling the tender, re-issuing it and evaluating the RFI replies while making a G2G side deal for a similar deal, can't be more obvious for a political deal, because it makes the re-issued tender pointless, but hey let's simply deny reality

No problem, it actually is good to discuss defence matters with sane people like you, that actually are interested in the matters. Sure, the engines are likely to be better than Russian once, but 2 engines still consume more fuel and require more maintenance than one right? That's even one reason to go for smaller LUH's below the Dhruv, since you don't require the size or operational costs, for many of the basic roles. And when it comes to high altitude operations, if I remember correctly the Fennec made a record some years ago for the highest rescue mission, but the tailless design of the Kamov and the lower rotor dimensions are surely benefits too, the question however is, was that enough to make it preferable by the forces? Something we won't know anymore, since it's not a result of the tender.

Spare support is always an issue, since licence productions does not mean that the deal includes spare supply for all parts. Take the MKI as an example, where the spare supply from Russian companies is already a matter of concern and that although we produce a high ammount of parts in India. Same goes for the Cheetal helicopters, where Eurocopter said that they can't support the rotor production and maintenance anymore, although we still produce the helicopters at HAL and just ordered more, to bridge the gap created by scrapping and re-issuing the LUH tender.

Hi
Sir yes I know the French made a world record with there Fennec , but it was to be modified too. They made significant changes to its body.

And yes two engines will consume more fuel but , I think(my logic) that the engines are smaller, so each engine will consume significantly lower fuel than a larger engine on a Fennec or a 407, so I said so, because even if we see two engines together, Yes they will consume more fuel,but when we see the ratio of power output to fuel consumed, it will be better than others.

And the fact that it had passed tests by the Army also says that though it's relatively less used and less known but by no way it's less capable.

And at last on the spares yes i agree there is always a problem, we had them with MKIs, and we had them with Mirage 2000Hs too. But given that a helicopter is relatively a simpler machine than a Flanker, and its a light observation heli, so I don't think that spares will be a big problem.

Also I would like to add that Military uses many items which are used in civilian fields too, but I personally don't think that they would rely upon this when they acquire something. They will want self dependence.

And I acknowledge and thank your appreciation.

Cheers and Thanks

- LUH is an IA tender, not IAF (IAF just takes the same helicopter that IA selects)

Ok so Modi saved IA sorry @ss........... does that make you feel better ?

The whole LUH deal was tainted with the stench of corruption and the cancellation by NDA was based on the CBI investigation ordered by the UPA, and HAL might still be the partner for LUH, so your speculation about private player is pure Rubbish.

When the report of the trials is already available with the govt. what is the need to order a new trial or re-issuing the tender ? :lol: ...... Looks like you hate for Modi has clouded your intelligence, or maybe you are just too used to the UPA Stupidity and way of doing business. Or should I say, way of NOT doing any business ?

The best deal was chosen, a deal that is low cost, covers Make in India and generate International political benefits. Only a Moron will reject it and ask for a re-tender. Oh wait, that is what you were asking for, Right ? :coffee:

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything more about the Sun Group's involvement in this, what I am hearing now is HAL will be taking the lead in making these birds in India.

First of all, the intermediate point doesn't hold it's own anymore, since HAL's LUH will make it's first flight this year and production start is planned within the next few years too. There is hardly any difference in timeframe anymore for a foreign company to set up production in India, or for HAL to start it's own production.
I don't think so. The HAL LUH has yet to even have an EGR let alone its first flight, you are assuming a perfect fight trail program and thereafter optimum production routine but this is the real world even in the best case scenario the first HAL LUH wouldn't be ready to enter service for 3 years- BEST CASE, it could be 5 years depending on how the flight tests go. Look at the LCH, first flight was in 2011 and it will only get IOC later this year. Yes the LUH will have a better chance of getting IOC earlier because it won't have to have the weapons element pushed to the limits as the LCH has but still.

The Ka-226 could be in service and replaced the vintage Cheetak/Cheetah within two years and this is something I am more than a little pleased about.

The Ka-226's induction will buy HAL's LUH project some breathing space otherwise every delay in that project would be risking yet more lives.

A good decision IMHO.

"Fennec specs/comparison: Length,almost 11M (3M more than the Sergei),service ceiling 5280m compared to 6200m for the Sergei,cargo only 1000kg as 1500kg for the Sergei,and carries only 4 passr compared to 9,Sergei and has only one engine. Price,Fennec $4-5M compared to just Sergei $2.5-$2.9M That is quite a substantial saving,almost half the price. "

Courtesy : Philip from BR ...

If above points are true, then probably this is the best decision for Heli sector. Looking at the awesome versatility, its civil variant may very well a hit. It is also being said that this comes with reselling rights and we will be able to sell these to other customers.

What proof do you have its screw driver tech ? Do you have details of the ToT agreement with you ? or compay work share ?

Or is Fertile imagination enough to rant out your frustration with the world ?
A proxy investor firm , which have not manufactured a napkin yet would able to absorb helicopter technology :no:

India's leading engineering company L&T is said to be partnering Samsung for building the K-9 SP howitzer, said to be among the world's best. This is a welcome move. The government should clip the wings of DRDO and other such PSUs who can only guzzle public tax money but fail to come out with any result. Instead involve the private sector and see how India progresses and becomes self-reliant.

Indeed & also DRDO should focus on developing new Technologies rather than developing new products

A proxy investor firm , which have not manufactured a napkin yet would able to absorb helicopter technology :no:

Baat toh sahi hai

Aq to prasun sen gupta these k226t will be used by NDRF and BDO. Its not for IA luh .

India's leading engineering company L&T is said to be partnering Samsung for building the K-9 SP howitzer, said to be among the world's best. This is a welcome move. The government should clip the wings of DRDO and other such PSUs who can only guzzle public tax money but fail to come out with any result. Instead involve the private sector and see how India progresses and becomes self-reliant.

Source?

The Indian Light Utility Helicopter Procurement: where does HAL’s LUH bid stand?

Introduction:

An analysis is presented here to compare the various helicopters bidding for the Indian Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) procurement. In addition to the Bell 407, the Eurocopter Fennec and the Kamov Ka-226T, HAL’s own design, known by the generic title LUH, is also in the fight to win the contract. But where does the LUH stand amongst its competitors? For that matter, where do the competitors stand amongst themselves?

The procurement of any military aircraft or helicopter type is a complicated process. And this analysis will not attempt to cover all possible areas pertaining to geo-politics, economics or the like. Instead, the focus of this analysis is on a preliminary aerodynamic and propulsive standpoint, especially for the extremely high-altitude conditions encountered in the Himalayan Mountains. The analysis is done using simulation tools that integrate payload capacities and typical rate-of-climb requirements with a preliminary rotary aerodynamics model and a simple propulsion module. When coupled with an atmospheric simulator for the Himalayas, the performance of each helicopter type can be predicted and compared. The rotary-aerodynamics module is advanced enough to predict the different performances of a single main rotor plus tail rotor system, a tandem rotor system or a contra-rotating rotor system as found for the Kamov designs. Furthermore, the models allow for the performance analysis in Ground Effect conditions. The Ground Effect conditions are encountered when the helicopters are hovering very close to the ground and serves to work as a performance multiplier with regard to power needed in lifting a certain payload.

The models do not compensate for transmission limitations for the power, which means that the analysis is idealized wherein power generated is power available. This is, of course, not encountered in practice, but works well for high-altitude conditions where power available is almost always less than the transmission limits. At lower altitudes, the performance of the various designs must be assumed to be ideal, rather than restricted from transmission and structural limitations. For example, the maximum rate-of-climb (ROC) values obtained from this simulator for sea-level (SL) conditions will typically be higher than what is allowed by other limitations. However, such removal of limitations is required in order to compare the various contenders at the same performance benchmarks.

Data for this analysis is obtained from the manufacturers via open-sources. No proprietary information is shared here. Unless where cited, the analysis results are to be considered proprietary of the author. See remarks for details.

2h3yh3s.png

General remarks on the LUH design:

Of the four helicopter types involved, three belong to the standard single-main-rotor design concept. These are the Fennec, LUH and Bell-407GT. All of these designs feature a main rotor and a tail rotor. The tail rotor designs all have a major power/aerodynamics drawback in that the tail rotor does not correspond to lifting payload and yet draws power away from the engines. This power requirement can vary in the range of 10-15% of total available power in some designs. The Ka-226T belongs to the contra-rotating design model and overcomes the tail rotor by having two contra-rotating rotors that cancel net rotor torque. Since both rotors contribute to vertical thrust, the losses from the tail rotor are theoretically recovered. However, two contra-rotating sets of blades in close proximity contribute to other losses that serve to negate some of the advantages of the design. Current analysis suggests that this loss is almost the same as tail rotor losses. However, the lack of the tail rotor serves additional practical advantages including a compact design, removal of a vulnerable boom, easier entry and exit of passengers (with less risk) and overall increase in maneuverability.

From the power standpoint, the LUH’s power-plant and drivetrain is the biggest variable at the time of writing of this article. While the Bell, Eurocopter and Kamov designs are essentially “stabilized” from a design standpoint, the HAL design remains a mystery in terms of performance. The first prototype has not yet flown. And varying sources at different times have quoted different power and weight numbers. To compensate for this, the analysis here will provide a spread of numbers for the LUH performance depending on what its final powertrain will look like and what its limitations are likely to be. The spread is distributed between three power output numbers from the single Shakti engine employed within the LUH: 750 KW (provided by HAL during a presentation on the LUH design; it is possible that this is not the rated engine output but rather the transmission limitation at sea-level), 825 KW (assuming that the powertrain will have similar limitations to the LCH) and 1,067 KW (assuming maximum powertrain efficiency using the Shakti engine output). The Shakti engine power output is well ahead of any of the equivalent engines in the competition, but the powertrain restrictions will decide how much potential of the engine has been extracted.

Similarly, another area of focus will be the overall weight of the LUH design. Numbers provided by the HAL during its presentations at Aero India 2015 point to an empty mass of the LUH to be 1,910 kg. When compared with the empty masses of its competitors, 1,220 kg (Fennec), 1,700 kg (Ka-226T) and 1,210 kg (Bell-407GT), the weight of the LUH is an immediate area of concern. One possibility is that the weight is a result of a much more powerful power system (Shakti engine) in the LUH. However, this is only balanced out if the resulting power from the engines transmitted to the rotors is much higher than the other designs. If only a 750 KW powertrain is extracted despite the 1,910 kg empty weight of the helicopter (as quoted by HAL in its official presentations), the resulting performance can be expected to be dismal at best compared with the other LUH bids. The HAL design team, drawing experience from the ALH and LCH efforts, will have to undergo a similar effort in weight-trimming and in improving the power-train restrictions of the LUH design. Further details will be obtained when the first prototype of the helicopter flies in 2015 or early 2016.

Performance results:

Two sets of hover performance numbers have been presented. The first set is for conditions where the helicopter is hovering out of the Ground Effect (OGE) and the other set is for hover performance in Ground Effect conditions (IGE). The IGE performance is evaluated for the various contenders for a hover altitude of 2 meters above the ground. The performance is evaluated for all the helicopters at empty weight conditions (no fuel and no passengers) and the maximum allowable payload is restricted to 1,000 kg (internal or external). The hover performance is evaluated at altitudes varying from 0 ft (SL) to 25,000 ft. Altitudes in the Himalayan Mountains regularly require flights above 10,000 ft and often up to 22,000 ft.

72r8yt.png
2rw2ped.png

The Bell-407 and Fennec models are virtually identical with minor differences in hover performance. This is not unexpected. Generally speaking, the Fennec (AS-550) model is found to perform slightly better at higher altitudes (greater than 10,000 ft). For example, at 20,000 ft altitude, the Fennec can lift ~50 kg more payload than the Bell design. However, considering the very close performance of the two designs, this minor difference should be accounted within the error margins of the analysis. For all practical purposes, the two Eurocopter and Bell models perform similarly under ideal conditions. Structural and transmission conditions may put one design above the other, however. Both these helicopters have a similar loss in performance versus altitude as ascertained from the slopes of their payload-altitude curves. The IGE performance is superior to the OGE performance for these two designs as seen above. Both helicopters can lift up to ~850 kg in Ground Effect conditions as compared to only ~450 kg out of Ground Effect conditions. Note, however, that this lifting capacity does not include pilots and fuel (> 400 kg overall) nor does it allow for any rate-of-climb capacity to allow flying in valleys and mountains. When these factors are accounted, the net payload capacity of the two helicopters is negligible beyond ~17,000 ft altitude.

The Kamov model has visibly different performance owing to its different design concept. A combination of high empty mass, contra-rotating rotors and higher available power means that the tail-off in performance for this design is different from the Bell and Eurocopter models. The performance of the Kamov design generally tails-off faster than its competitors at higher altitudes. There is a substantial difference in hover performance between the Kamov design and others beyond 15,000 ft altitude and this difference only increases as altitude increases. When similar pilot, fuel and rate-of-climb effects are added, the Kamov design’s payload capacity is negligible beyond ~16,000 ft altitude.

The HAL design’s performance varies between outstanding or dismal depending on what power transmission numbers are assumed. If HAL’s quote of 750 KW transmission is assumed, coupled with the 1,910 kg empty weight, the performance of its design is far below the others. Under such conditions, the LUH can have negligible payload beyond ~14,000 ft altitude in OGE hover. A powertrain similar to that of the LCH will bring the performance of the HAL design similar to that of the Kamov design. However, if we assume that the implied 750 KW is simply the transmission limitation and not the engine output (which is 1,067 KW), then the performance of the HAL design far exceeds the performance of its competitors and can haul usable payloads up to an altitude of ~21,000 ft despite the much higher empty weight.

Ground effect multipliers for the various designs are also different and offer differing improvements for the four designs (see below). Once again, the Bell and Fennec designs are near identical in their IGE performance effects. The LUH, with a slightly higher main-rotor blade radius performs better. The Kamov design gains the best effects in IGE conditions on account of its twin-rotor system with large blades. It is the result of this improved performance in IGE that allows the Kamov design to match the Bell and Fennec designs in IGE hover up to an altitude of 20,000 ft. Beyond 22,000 ft, the IGE performance gains for the Kamov tail off coupled with its general performance to bring it below its other competitors.

27zcl7p.png

Maximum rate-of-climb performance with a usable payload is of more importance within the context of a light-utility helicopter than it is for medium and large transport helicopters. A utility helicopter is expected to perform a variety of roles under tough conditions where the maximum payload is less important than the maneuverability in the vertical plane. For this to be compared, all of the designs were run through the simulations with a maximum payload of 500 kg in addition to 200 kg for crew and 300 kg for fuel (1,000 kg overall payload). The maximum ROC was plotted versus altitudes from sea level to 25,000 ft.

f5byus.png

For the max-ROC profile, the performance of the Bell, Eurocopter and Kamov designs are similar. The maximum vertical ROC obtained at sea-level is by the Fennec (10.28 m/sec). The worst performer for sea-level conditions is the Kamov design (8.41 m/sec). Assuming the 750 KW limitation proposed by HAL for its design, a dismal maximum vertical ROC is obtained (6.80 m/sec). The tail-off in max-ROC at high altitude is also of a similar trend, considering the near-linear variation in performance versus altitude (as expected theoretically). An HAL design boosted with a full 1,067 KW throughput puts the HAL design far in excess of its competitors (16.78 m/sec!). But this is an ideal that HAL itself has stated to be unrealistic considering their statement for a 750 KW restriction. A powertrain throughput on a single engine similar to that of LCH will put the HAL design within the spread of its competitor designs.

Conclusion:

The first-flight of the HAL design in 2015/16 will provide much insight into the successes (or failures) of the HAL design team to meet its competitors for the LUH contract. How much empty weight can be shaved off and how much more power can be provided to the main rotor will determine the performance of the design at high-altitude. Current numbers provided by HAL do not suggest that the first prototype of the LUH will be superior to its competitors from Bell, Eurocopter and Kamov. However, it is expected that the prototype will serve as a test-bed in which the HAL team can conduct a series of efforts to improve performance as confidence in its design builds up. How fast that effort can be undertaken, how long the process will take and whether it will be successful or not, remains to be seen.

Aq to vivek ahuja analysis k226 had lowest performance at high altitude :(
no idea how it will perform in actual scenario.
Aq to psg k226 will be used by ndrf and bdoo_O
To make roads:chilli:

Aq to psg k226 will be used by ndrf and bdoo_O

200 light helos for making roads and the NDRF? Yes both the BRO and NDRF require helos but the Ka-226 is perhaps the worst candidate for either of them. The BRO would be better suited with some medium lift helos backed up by some monster Mi-26s, the NDRF requires some medium/heavy class helos like the AW-101/S-92 for long range SAR and carrying vast amounts of supplies/personnel the Ka-226/LUH would be nice compliment to these heavier helos but they certainly are not fit to be the sole helo in NDRF service.

And the numbers don't make sense, the BRO and NDRF aren't going to operating 0 helos of their own to 200 in the span of a few years.

Aq to vivek ahuja analysis k226 had lowest performance at high altitude :(
Well considering this was a govt-govt deal and NOT a comparative evaluation process routing out the performers from the also-rans that is pretty irrelevant. The GoI did make a political decision here- for better or worse, and have clearly overlooked certain performance deficiencies for the greater good.

HAL 'to licence-build Ka-226' for army, air force

Key Points

• Sources in Delhi have said HAL is likely to form a JV with Russian Helicopters to licence-build 200 Kamov Ka-226T multirole helicopters
  • The proposed JV would lead to the scrapping of an anticipated RSH tender, which is currently in the RfI stage
India's state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is likely to form a joint venture (JV) with Russian Helicopters to licence-build 200 Kamov Ka-226T 'Hoodlum' light multirole helicopters for the Indian military for an estimated USD700 million, official sources said.

They said HAL was in advanced talks with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to establish the JV to manufacture the twin-engine Ka-226Ts in Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar's home state of Goa.

India aims to employ the Ka-226T, a variant of which is in service only with the Russian Air Force, for armed reconnaissance, forward air control, directing artillery fire, inserting troops for special missions, and for casualty evacuation.

These talks followed a feasibility report that HAL presented to the MoD soon after Russian President Vladimir Putin offered the Ka-226T to India during his December 2014 visit to New Delhi.

The MoD approved the Ka-226T programme on 13 May as a replacement for the obsolete Chetak (Aerospatiale Alouette III) and Cheetah (Aerospatiale SA-315B), which is being operated by the Army Aviation Corps (AAC) and the Indian Air Force (IAF).

Official sources said the direct import of a "limited number" of Ka-226Ts - possibly around 50 - was almost certain to meet the IAF's and AAC's immediate requirements once the deal was inked under an Inter Governmental Agreement. HAL anticipates an annual production rate of 30 to 40 Ka-226Ts, with indigenous content rising to 30% three to four years after manufacture begins.

Officials said another aspect that prompted the MoD's decision to opt for the Ka-226T was its Turbomecca Arrius 2G1 engine, which is manufactured by France's Safran, with whom HAL has a long-standing technical collaboration.

The two have jointly developed the Shakti derivatives of Turbomecca's TM333-2B engine. These power the locally developed Dhruv and the Light Combat Helicopter and Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) that are currently under development.

Industry sources said the involvement of Sun Group, a private sector company based on the outskirts of Delhi, in the Ka-226T project is also under consideration, as it has links with Russian Helicopters.

The Ka-226T, along with Eurocopter's AS550 Fennec platform, competed for the MoD's 2009 Reconnaissance and Surveillance Helicopter (RSH) tender for 197 platforms. This tender was scrapped - for the second time - in August 2014 following allegations of wrongdoing in the selection process.

Meanwhile, HAL sources said that despite the possible Ka-226T JV, it would abandon its LUH project, which has been under development since 2009. The 3.1-tonne, single-engine LUH is expected to make its maiden test flight in September in anticipation of a MoD contract for 187 helicopters.

However, the anticipated programme for an Indian company-led JV to locally build nearly 400 platforms under the RSH requirement is almost certain to be scrapped, officials said.

HAL 'to licence-build Ka-226' for army, air force - IHS Jane's 360
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAL has cancelled LUH....??? Really...

No
HAL 'to licence-build Ka-226' for army, air force

Key Points

• Sources in Delhi have said HAL is likely to form a JV with Russian Helicopters to licence-build 200 Kamov Ka-226T multirole helicopters
  • The proposed JV would lead to the scrapping of an anticipated RSH tender, which is currently in the RfI stage
India's state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is likely to form a joint venture (JV) with Russian Helicopters to licence-build 200 Kamov Ka-226T 'Hoodlum' light multirole helicopters for the Indian military for an estimated USD700 million, official sources said.

They said HAL was in advanced talks with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to establish the JV to manufacture the twin-engine Ka-226Ts in Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar's home state of Goa.

India aims to employ the Ka-226T, a variant of which is in service only with the Russian Air Force, for armed reconnaissance, forward air control, directing artillery fire, inserting troops for special missions, and for casualty evacuation.

These talks followed a feasibility report that HAL presented to the MoD soon after Russian President Vladimir Putin offered the Ka-226T to India during his December 2014 visit to New Delhi.

The MoD approved the Ka-226T programme on 13 May as a replacement for the obsolete Chetak (Aerospatiale Alouette III) and Cheetah (Aerospatiale SA-315B), which is being operated by the Army Aviation Corps (AAC) and the Indian Air Force (IAF).

Official sources said the direct import of a "limited number" of Ka-226Ts - possibly around 50 - was almost certain to meet the IAF's and AAC's immediate requirements once the deal was inked under an Inter Governmental Agreement. HAL anticipates an annual production rate of 30 to 40 Ka-226Ts, with indigenous content rising to 30% three to four years after manufacture begins.

Officials said another aspect that prompted the MoD's decision to opt for the Ka-226T was its Turbomecca Arrius 2G1 engine, which is manufactured by France's Safran, with whom HAL has a long-standing technical collaboration.

The two have jointly developed the Shakti derivatives of Turbomecca's TM333-2B engine. These power the locally developed Dhruv and the Light Combat Helicopter and Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) that are currently under development.

Industry sources said the involvement of Sun Group, a private sector company based on the outskirts of Delhi, in the Ka-226T project is also under consideration, as it has links with Russian Helicopters.

The Ka-226T, along with Eurocopter's AS550 Fennec platform, competed for the MoD's 2009 Reconnaissance and Surveillance Helicopter (RSH) tender for 197 platforms. This tender was scrapped - for the second time - in August 2014 following allegations of wrongdoing in the selection process.

Meanwhile, HAL sources said that despite the possible Ka-226T JV, it would abandon its LUH project, which has been under development since 2009. The 3.1-tonne, single-engine LUH is expected to make its maiden test flight in September in anticipation of a MoD contract for 187 helicopters.

However, the anticipated programme for an Indian company-led JV to locally build nearly 400 platforms under the RSH requirement is almost certain to be scrapped, officials said.

HAL 'to licence-build Ka-226' for army, air force - IHS Jane's 360
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAL has cancelled LUH....??? Really...
nonsense some drunkard must have written the article abt luh being scrapped

Back
Top Bottom