What's new

Make Siachen ‘Peace Park’.

OrionHunter

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
An avalanche that buried more than 130 Pakistani soldiers in a Himalayan region close to India has put a spotlight on what critics say is one of world’s most pointless military deployments: two developing nations engaged in a costly standoff over an uninhabitable patch of mountain and ice.

Of all the problems plaguing the two countries, Siachen is often described as one of the easiest to solve but it is hostage to general mistrust and hard-liners on both sides who don’t want to give up their claim on territory, however strategically insignificant.

“This absolutely futile, useless fiasco has been going on since 1984,” said Pakistan-India peace activist Tahira Abdullah. “It is a one-hour job to agree on a solution, but it is now an ego problem between the two armies. Both armies should pull back from the heights. Soldiers are dying and my heart bleeds for them, but it’s for nothing.”

Temperatures as low as -60 C, vicious winds and altitude sickness – the region is just east of the world’s second-highest peak, K-2 – have killed far more than the artillery fire. Casualty figures are not released by either military, but hundreds are believed to have died there.

Analysts say resolving Siachen should be possible before the much more difficult dispute over Kashmir is attempted. Because no one lives in the region and it is of no strategic value, a joint or even unilateral withdrawal from one side could break the logjam.

Each country spends many millions of dollars to maintain troops in the remote region.

“We should do joint research in the area on how to stop the glacier melting,” said Alam. “Make it a peace park instead of wasting money.”

Make Siachen Peace Park

Some contend that Siachen has strategic significance while others are not so sure. The fact is that Siachen is a piece of real estate that does have strategic significance considering that it is nestled between Pakistan, China, and India.

This graphic explains its importance:

siachin.jpg

Whilst India claims the line going Northward from NJ 980420 as per the Shimla Agreement, Pakistan wants it going Eastward as shown on the map. India is insisting that Pakistan provides iron-clad guarantees to authenticate the 110-km Actual Ground Position Line (AGPL) along the Saltoro Ridge, on maps and on ground considering what happened in Kargil. Pakistan is refusing to do so.

Will this impasse ever end? Vested interests on both sides will most likely prevent a viable solution to this conundrum, which is acceptable to both India and Pakistan, at least not in the near future.

In the meanwhile, soldiers on either side of the divide will continue to die due to the hostile terrain and weather conditions prevailing there.....

Peace comeS at a price. Fantic ideologies don't bring the peace. We have our great example of 62. Nehru's peace policy was and is best but not unless you are ready to fight for it. You can't get peace just by wishing it

Why putting army at that high altitude?I think it' purpose is to make sure each country's native people could be there for sightseeing and earning money from foreign mountain climbers.

Why putting army at that high altitude?I think it' purpose is to make sure each country's native people could be there for sightseeing and earning money from foreign mountain climbers.
You kidding right ? Or you wana say that army is there to collect the toll to visit mountain. :P

Pakistan just have to sign on a map India's position and promise that they will not allow anyother foreign power (read China) to occupy Siachen glacier and we can both go our own way

You kidding right ? Or you wana say that army is there to collect the toll to visit mountain. :P
I got the idea from the movie Vertical Limit,it's Pakistan Army not Chinese Army to receive and serve the mountain climbers to climb K2:pakistan:.

I got the idea from the movie Vertical Limit,it's Pakistan Army not Chinese Army to receive and serve the mountain climbers to climb K2:pakistan:.

And people say Indians Humiliate Pak friends. :) that was Hollywood. Good movie though :)
No army is authorised to collect taxes/tolls/payment in democracy. Don't know about Pak side. Ask them

Pakistan just have to sign on a map India's position and promise that they will not allow anyother foreign power (read China) to occupy Siachen glacier and we can both go our own way
No one is going to trust Pak on this unless they want war on the issue. That's highland adv. nobody's interested in losing scope site

Its a good suggestion, but the question is " can Pakistan give guarentee of peace?".

No one is going to trust Pak on this unless they want war on the issue. That's highland adv. nobody's interested in losing scope site

True, this was not my suggestion as such. I heard Gen. Malik (Ex COAS) give this same opinion and I believe armymen knows more about this matter.Anyways we had no causality on Siachen for the last 8 years and thats a welcome fact eventhough we may be paying through our nose for maintaining our troops at this much height.

This is a favorite scene of mine from Film Shaurya. Watch from 6:45 onwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, this was not my suggestion as such. I heard Gen. Malik (Ex COAS) give this same opinion and I believe armymen knows more about this matter.Anyways we had no causality on Siachen for the last 8 years and thats a welcome fact eventhough we may be paying through our nose for maintaining our troops at this much height.

This is a favorite scene of mine from Film Shaurya. Watch from 6:45 onwards.
Even our troops were trapped in that snow. We bring then out in no time and most important --- alive. Noble opinions and theories are not for today's world. Everything is fare in today's world. So better prepared than relie on enemies word. It was a great time when people actually honour their words. Not today

Last edited by a moderator:
Lady if you know some thing about Siachen glacier you wouldn't comment in this manner.
I doubt any sane tourist would like to go there, that place is only for hard core mountaineers.

Back
Top Bottom