What's new

Malaysia's new Islamic airline takes off, with a prayer

Manindra

Reaction score
Country
India
KUALA LUMPUR: The short domestic flight from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's biggest city, begins with a recital of the prayer for travel.

The passengers ─ most of them Muslims ─ cup their hands, as a crew member recites the prayer over the loudspeaker just before take off.

Malaysia's Rayani Air took to the skies over the weekend with a clear bailiwick.

It is the country's first Islamic airline, offering flights that adhere to Islamic rules, including prayers, no serving of alcohol or meals with pork, and a strict dress code for Muslim female flight attendants.

The idea for Rayani Air grew out of much-publicised complaints by conservative Muslims who believed that two major air disasters for the national Malaysia Airlines ─ Flight 370 that went missing in March 2014 and Flight 17 downed a few months later over Ukraine were divine retribution.

Their solution: Airlines must adopt strict Islamic customs.

The reaction to the disasters, and the creation of the airline that operated its inaugural flight on Sunday, is an example of rising hard-line Islamic values in Malaysia, where Muslims account for about 60 per cent of the country's 30 million people.

567a64f10e6e3.jpg
Muslim travellers queue up in front of Rayani Air's check-in counter at Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 in Sepang, Malaysia. — AP

"We are answering the call of many Malaysians who wanted an Islamic airline," Rayani's managing director, Jaafar Zamhari, told The Associated Press.

"We are not talking about being a holy airline or flying to holy destinations. We just want to provide an alternative to travellers, but we are open to all races and religions."

Ironically, the people who answered the call of conservative Islam and started Rayani Air are Hindus, perhaps an indication that a business opportunity knows no religious boundary.

The founders of the airline, which currently flies to three domestic destinations using two Boeing 737s, are Ravi Alagendrran and his wife, Karthiyani Govindan.

They used parts of their first names for the airline's name.

Alagendrran or his wife couldn't be immediately reached for comments, but in remarks to local media, he had said that "anyone wishing to travel in a modest and alcohol-free environment will feel right at home."

On a 55-minute flight Tuesday delayed by two hours from Kuala Lumpur to the northeastern city of Kota Baru, more than 100 passengers were greeted by Muslim female flight attendants wearing black headscarves, long pants and lime-green jackets.

567a492342a0a.jpg
Rayani Air flight crew demonstrates a safety brief before departure at the Sultan Ismail Petra Airport in Kelantan, Malaysia. — AP

Malaysia's new Islamic airline takes off, with a prayer - World - DAWN.COM

A prayer was recited before takeoff and passengers were served halal food.

At least one passenger said she chose the airline because of its Islamic credentials.

"It's quite important for me because first of all, I am a Muslim, and second, Malaysia is an Islamic country," said Che Masnita Atikah, a 23-year-old student.

"It's quite important to have this kind of airline to represent Malaysia and its image as an Islamic country."

Rayani Air is the fourth Islamic airline in the world after Royal Brunei Airlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines and Iran Air.

Jaafar said that male and female passengers are not segregated, and that there is no dress code for travellers.

"Even if they come in shorts, they are most welcome," he said. "We respect the differences among us."

Most confusing..

The idea for Rayani Air grew out of much-publicised complaints by conservative Muslims who believed that two major air disasters for the national Malaysia Airlines ─ Flight 370 that went missing in March 2014 and Flight 17 downed a few months later over Ukraine were divine retribution.

Their solution: Airlines must adopt strict Islamic customs

I thought education would help , evidently not.

It is the country's first Islamic airline, offering flights that adhere to Islamic rules, including prayers, no serving of alcohol or meals with pork, and a strict dress code for Muslim female flight attendants.

Whats next ? Islamic engines , Islamic tyres , Islamic fuel ?

"We are not talking about being a holy airline or flying to holy destinations. We just want to provide an alternative to travellers, but we are open to all races and religions."

Ironically, the people who answered the call of conservative Islam and started Rayani Air are Hindus, perhaps an indication that a business opportunity knows no religious boundary.

Not much Islamic left eh ?

All I see is a good marketing job .

Most confusing..

I thought education would help , evidently not.

Not much Islamic left eh ?

this is a smart move. the new phenomenon. ISLAMIC tourism and finance are fastest growing sector currently in the world. so why not capitalize on it.

http://www.economist.com/news/finan...roducts-growing-fast-big-interest-no-interest

www.cfr.org/economics/rise-islamic-finance/p32305

Islamic Airlines started by a Hindu

BTW any indian domestic airline like Indigo will qualify as islamic as no alchohol is served and halal meat is served. only difference may be in dress of airhostess and the prayer at the begining

gentlemen, your countries has gone even more backwards as it was before. your thoughts please?

@kuge @Nan Yang @70U63

Those are things - this is a service. If services adhere to rules defined in the Sharia, they can be termed "Islamic."

Well that's how successful entrepreneurs function, don't they?

1. Market research tells them the public wants "X,"
2. Company provides them "X."
3. ??????
4. Profit!

I bet you if an Indian airline started catering to the devout Hindu crowd, they'd find success too.

conservative Muslims who believed that two major air disasters for the national Malaysia Airlines ─ Flight 370 that went missing in March 2014 and Flight 17 downed a few months later over Ukraine were divine retribution.

you would expect that sort of explanation in stone age or bronze age civilzations. may be a spill over into medieval era. But to this day and age, attributing phenomena like these to "divine" intervention just speaks so plainly about the amount of illiteracy.

Honestly,nothing wrong with it.Christian priests bless new ships,planes,heck the Russians were blessing their missiles in Syria.I've seen Indian weapons with all sort of ornaments,i guess those were some hindu rituals.

It is pure bussiness,nothing else.
They felt there is a niche for such a concept and they will milk it.I think Alcohol is prohibited in hinduism also.So no need to have such names like Islamic airlines.How would you feel if there are hindu airlines,jewish airlines,buddhist airlines.Stop using Islam for propagating your greed.Islam is a simple enough religion.

Honestly,nothing wrong with it.Christian priests bless new ships,planes,heck the Russians were blessing their missiles in Syria.I've seen Indian weapons with all sort of ornaments,i guess those were some hindu rituals.

I guess Romania should bless their new airplanes,ships,jets with Vlad ash.

Look at all these butt hurt vegetarians crying their mama for nothing

Back
Top Bottom