What's new

Man in the Middle: Rodrigo Duterte Gets a Taste of China’s Heavy Hand

jerry_tan

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
@Pinoy @Zero_wing

Told you he will come to his senses after he meets arrogant Chinese officills

http://www.wsj.com/articles/man-in-the-middle-rodrigo-duterte-gets-a-taste-of-china-1468909553

Man in the Middle: Rodrigo Duterte Gets a Taste of China’s Heavy Hand
Untested Philippines tough guy finds himself at the heart of a U.S.-China contest
By
Andrew Browne
July 19, 2016 2:25 a.m. ET
DAVAO CITY, Philippines—Rodrigo Duterte, the newly elected Philippine president, is used to being treated with the utmost respect.

In a previous job, as mayor of the southern city once without this law, the fight against drug traffickers leaving a trail of bullet-riddled corpses, the operation target police and vigilante death squads. He roared through the streets on a motorcycle that brings high-caliber rifle.

But on the afternoon of July 12 Mr. Duterte was upset, according to one of his closest aides. He felt China toying with him.

A cabinet meeting just received word directly from Den Haag Manila stunning victory in a legal challenge to the Chinese claims in the South China Sea, and after clapping happily noisy and fist- pumping around the table the first order of business is to issue a statement public. A minister spoke up: He had eaten the night before with the Chinese ambassador.

That got the attention of Mr. This Duterte. “Are you a spy from China?” He demanded, in a kind of seductive way, according to an aide who was in the room.

Minister then passed a long and detailed list of demands from the delegates about what the Philippine government should say-and did not say when the verdict came out. Anticipating defeat, panic at the prospect that China may issue a statement arrogant Manila that will add insult her.

Mr. Duterte turned serious. What annoyed him, said people in the room, it was more than just impudence of Chinese demands. The president has met with the ambassador himself earlier on the same day to offer a guarantee. “Does he not believe what I say to him?” Asked Mr. Duterte.

“Between us guys,” he said, “I’ll say a few things, but because the embassy wanted to tell them, I would not.”

Chinese Embassy in Manila did not respond to requests comment.

Philippine leaders are getting a quick lesson in Chinese heavy-handedness.

He was in the midst of an epic contest between China and the US for regional supremacy. In the eyes of many Chinese nationalists, Manila is little more than an American pawn in this great game. Does Mr Duterte, entirely untested on the global stage, temperament and political skills to maneuver between the two giants?

Towards the surprising unilateral decisions that struck China’s historic claims to the South China Sea and said that China had violated the rights of Manila by building artificial islands, reefs and expel despoiling fishermen in waters -Bapak. Duterte’s critics felt the urge to retreat.

In the campaign, he even suggested he could trade for the maritime sovereignty railway line China-built house in the impoverished province of Mindanao.

And he promised that he will not put at risk the Philippine troops in conflict with the Chinese they can never win. If necessary, he joked with the usual swagger, he’s riding jet-skis to Scarborough Shoal to defend disputed reef itself.

Mr. Duterte did not choose this legal battle with China; he inherited from his predecessor, Benigno Aquino III. But now Manila has scored a victory he wanted to use it as leverage in bilateral talks. China, however, has rejected the ruling as “a piece of waste paper” and would not negotiate with Manila on that basis.

Washington watching Mr. Duterte carefully. He made no secret of the fact that he does not believe the American security guarantee. Ramon Beleno, a political-science professor at the Ateneo de Davao University, said that while Mr. Aquino believes that Americans “have our backs,” Mr. Duterte “wants a more independent policy that does not require the support of the US”

That does not mean he wants to leave the US alliance. At the cabinet meeting, aides say, he stated he would welcome a show of strength by the American aircraft carrier. “Let them send their ships,” he told ministers. “You tell them.”. Come on already “But I can not say that openly”

However, the word Chito Sta. Romana, President of the Philippine Association of Chinese Studies, “There is a shift.” Mr. Duterte “has hinted he would like to cooperate with Beijing instead of confrontation.”

Mr. Aquino started with the ambition as well. But after a Chinese ship grabbed Scarborough Shoal in 2012 he did about-face and began to compare the Chinese regime to Nazi Germany. He launched a legal case in the next year.

Mr. Duterte is personality-and the more unstable he brings his street-fighting sensitivity to international diplomacy. After winning the presidential election, he initially refused to see the US ambassador who criticized him for shocking joke he made about rape and murder of a lay minister of Australia in 1989. Mr. Duterte later apologized.

China will be hoping he objected manners. In Beijing, “Punisher,” as he’s known as a terror tactic against crime, may have met the match.

Writing to Andrew Browne in andrew.browne@wsj.com

Last edited:
Whoever won the 2016 Philippine election would have been in the same position, regardless of what stance they have in regards to Chinese geo-politics.

As usual ... ... :coffee:

Full of LIES and SPINS from WALL STREET JOURNAL

brought to you by Sewage Cockroach Slave of Great Satan usa

Noy Noy Aquino--Sewage Cockroach--1a.jpg

Furthermore ... ...

I hope all Smart and Logical minded Filipinos who support Pres. DUTERTE carefully anticipate the very real possibility of CIA assassinating him, and protect him adequately and properly
from hundreds CIA operatives prowling Filipino streets.

Have they replaced all previous Malacanang palace staffs from previous Noy Noy president ?

:devil: :devil:

Where is Noy Noy Aquino sewage cockroach now ?
~ While millions and millions of Filipinos were suffering,
... ...this Noy Noy Sewage Cockroach Aquino is driving his Ferrari
sightseeing and enjoying the scenery of poor Filipinos miseries.

sniper--rifle--1a.jpg

Last edited:
As usual ... ... :coffee:

Full of LIES and SPINS from WALL STREET JOURNAL

brought to you by Sewage Cockroach Slave of Great Satan usa

While the communist owned Media's are telling the truth in China. :o:
If i were you use VPN to to avoid the communist censorship and see the world in Free people perspective , see you have too much hatred you are already overdose of commie propaganda

Protect Pres. DUTERTE
Real Possibility of CIA assassinating him
Hundreds CIA operatives prowling Filipino streets

sniper--rifle--1a.jpg

jerry_tan, you, and some Filipino, and many Southern Vietnamese are Hypnotized and BLINDED by the SLAVE LIKE devotion towards Great Satan usa. You brain is too blighted to be able to see evil american actions behind the scenes.

:devil: :devil:

How can Patriotic and Religious Filipino like you -- allows ex.Pres. Noy Noy Sewage Cockroach Aquino to sell Filipinos Souls to the Devil usa ??

OTOH, 1000 thanks to the Power of the Universe, that Filipinos get the Super Smart, and Super Tough leader such as Pres. DUTERTE. ~ I hope he is always Super Healthy and be able to govern all Filipinos for 18 years.

I hope all Smart and Logical minded Filipinos who support Pres. DUTERTE carefully anticipate the very real possibility of CIA assassinating him, and PROTECT him adequately and properly

Have they replaced all previous Malacanang palace staffs from previous Noy Noy president ?

:sniper:Devil usa :devil: :devil:

Smart and Patriotic Filipinos burning Devil usa Flag

Burning--usa Flag--Filipino--1b.jpg

I totally agree with you,maybe Philippines and Chinese could be friends.

jerry_tan, you, and some Filipino, and many Southern Vietnamese are Hypnotized and BLINDED by the SLAVE LIKE devotion towards Great Satan usa. You brain is too blighted to be able to see evil american actions behind the scenes.

Ahem slave , you should look up to the mirror and tell me again who are the slaves .
Check this out who are the slaves China al;most got the no. 1 spot:cray:

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/arti...modern-day-slavery-china-30-million-worldwide
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-most-modern-slaves-today.html

And still if you haven't notice yet why the likes of Indonesia,Japan, India, Vietnam, USA, even hongkong gang up against China, your government feed you wrong propaganda and it is overdosing , its not good for your people mental health unless you are paid to dos so.

As a said it before try VPN to avoid censorship and see the world

Smart and Patriotic Filipinos burning Devil usa Flag

They leftist organization numbering 5 thousand .Out of 100 million Filipino or 0.005 percent of Philippines populations.

And they are free to do so because we are free country, try that against China government you will be torture or getting killed

It seems -- you can not think for yourself ... ... you seems to be growing more and more dimwitted by the hour.
I am done with you ( RESOL -- read from Right to Left )

Let me repeat again ... ...

Burning--usa Flag--Filipino--1d.jpg

It seems -- you can not think for yourself ... ... you seems to be growing more and more dimwitted by the hour.
I am done with you ( RESOL -- read from Right to Left )

Let me repeat again ... ...

your done because you got humiliated by your government , see i can answer your propaganda one by one

read it again who are these peoples.
They leftist organization numbering 5 thousand .Out of 100 million Filipino or 0.005 percent of Philippines populations.

And they are free to do so because we are free country, try that against China government you will be torture or getting killed

jerry_tan is the man who can beat China,why you pinoys didn't choose him,he is born to be the president and anti-China hero.
Whoever be the president, you can't take back Scaborough shoal cause it didn't/ doesn't/ will not belong to you in the first beginning.

Philippine spent 30 millions dollars buy a verdict favoring themself, said they want the Yankees to reimburse it. What a international joke.

Whoever be the president, you can't take back Scaborough shoal cause it didn't/ doesn't/ will not belong to you in the first beginning.

Philippine spent 30 millions dollars buy a verdict favoring themself, said they want the Yankees to reimburse it. What a international joke.

we will take it back slowly but surely and how come it belongs from China 600 miles from their shore and 100 miles from Philippines

How can Patriotic and Religious Filipino like you -- allows ex.Pres. Noy Noy Sewage Cockroach Aquino to sell Filipinos Souls to the Devil usa ??

OTOH, 1000 thanks to the Power of the Universe, that Filipinos get the Super Smart, and Super Tough leader such as Pres. DUTERTE. ~ I hope he is always Super Healthy and be able to govern all Filipinos for 18 years.

I hope all Smart and Logical minded Filipinos who support Pres. DUTERTE carefully anticipate the very real possibility of CIA assassinating him, and PROTECT him adequately and properly

View attachment 319687

Oh just shut up.

What a logic! A limousine parking in front of my house and it's mine? Our ancestors visited there even you guys still don't know what is Philippine.

So your logic is if you visit the submerge shoal then it is yours, what they are doing there living with turtles and fish? its pretty hilarious failed logic you don't even know what it is there.

Hey the USA visited the moon and MArs so its means they owned it ,

Back
Top Bottom