What's new

Manmohan Singh blames US NGOs for anti-nuclear demonstrations

They don;t mind they care more about their lives and land than power? YOu cannot harvest food in a land contaminated by Nuclear waste. You forgot how folks used to live in India not too long ago?

Lets Tamilians decide that. Here in this forum many Tamilians openly supported Kudamkulam Nuke Plant. You cannot sacrifice the prosperity of the majority based of wishes of a tiny minority.

This is known issue. I have similar experience. Those foreign ngos successfully stalled sardar sarovar for many many years. Back then ppl were blind to follow them and government were spineless. It is good that MS spoke openly. Good start....

They don;t mind they care more about their lives and land than power? YOu cannot harvest food in a land contaminated by Nuclear waste. You forgot how folks used to live in India not too long ago?

I am a tamil i was also supporting the anti nuke protestors not long ago - but 8 hr powercuts changed all that - you have no idea what an ordinary tamil goes through because of these powercuts - thousands and thousands of small business entities have become bankrupt due to continuous power cuts - they borrow money for generators for backup and get caught in the debt - many have ran away as they cant payback their debt - students in ma village like me read with emergency lamps and inverter - the poor students have to be satisfied with candles as kerosene is not available :(.The whole state is in a state of coma - just come to the country side you will know :(.

If you still dont want to believe just get that anti nuke guy to ma village will stab him in the face :angry:

I am a tamil i was also supporting the anti nuke protestors not long ago - but 8 hr powercuts changed all that - you have no idea what an ordinary tamil goes through because of these powercuts - thousands and thousands of small business entities have become bankrupt due to continuous power cuts - they borrow money for generators for backup and get caught in the debt - many have ran away as they cant payback their debt - students in ma village like me read with emergency lamps and inverter - the poor students have to be satisfied with candles as kerosene is not available :(.The whole state is in a state of coma - just come to the country side you will know :(.

If you still dont want to believe just get that anti nuke guy to ma village will stab him in the face :angry:

900 MW of Koodamkulam Plant belongs to TN. It is in TN's interest that the plant gets commissioned on time .

Lets Tamilians decide that. Here in this forum many Tamilians openly supported Kudamkulam Nuke Plant. You cannot sacrifice the prosperity of the majority based of wishes of a tiny minority.

How many Tamils on this forum 4-5? How can they represent the views? Prosperity, aww yes....the oldest issue in the world. Instead, of simply chasing propserity how about we do it in such a way where lives and environment are not endangered? The ppl complaining are those who who live closest to the plant. Maybe, if the plant was built behind the politicans backyard, then the complaints could be disregarded.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Good points And I agree with you, as my folks are from Kerala and have lived under the same conditions you mentioned. I am only adovcating for better security and safety. Alos, with Kerala and TN being the tip of the south, we should be given gratns to develop a Green industry, it would be far more ideal in the long run and create an industry that employs our ppl. Cheers

Manmohan Singh blames US NGOs for anti-nuclear demonstrations

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh blamed US non-profit groups in an interview published on Friday for whipping up anti-nuclear demonstrations that have stalled two new atomic plants.

Singh told the American journal "Science" that "the atomic energy programme has got into difficulties because these NGOs, mostly I think based in the US, don't appreciate the need for our country to increase the energy supply."

India's fast-growing economy is heavily dependent on coal, but the government hopes to raise the proportion of power produced from nuclear from less than three percent to 25 percent by 2050.

"The thinking segment of our population certainly is supportive of nuclear energy," Singh said in the interview with "Science," a copy of which was posted on his website.

But plans to construct a massive atomic power station using Russian help in the southern state of Tamil Nadu have been thrown into disarray following angry protests led by local villagers and activists.

The government was forced to stall its programme to build two 1000-megawatt nuclear reactors in Koodankulam and Russia's ambassador to India, M. Kadakin, has voiced frustration with the delays.

"We cannot allow our scientists to remain idle endlessly. For months together, they are without work,"
Kadakin was reported to have said earlier this month by local media.

In western India, violent demonstrations against the government's proposal to build a huge atomic power station near the Jaitapur port saw one man killed and several injured when police opened fire in April 2011.

Environmentalists have steadily campaigned to stop construction of new nuclear plants in the country, especially after Japan's Fukushima crisis last March, but the government has vowed to press on.

Singh also backed genetically modified crops to increase farm yields, despite pressure from "NGOs, often funded from the US and Scandinavian countries which are not fully appreciative of the development challenges that our country faces."

In 2010, India halted its plans to introduce its first genetically modified vegetable into the market, following resistance from citizens, scientists and state governments.

The ban is due to be reconsidered by the government this year, following further research and public consultations.

Manmohan Singh blames US NGOs for anti-nuclear demonstrations - The Times of India

The USA NGO's and NEWS MEDIA like CNN and FOX have become arms of US Foreign Policy and tools of US Hegemony, Worldwide.

This is known issue. I have similar experience. Those foreign ngos successfully stalled sardar sarovar for many many years. Back then ppl were blind to follow them and government were spineless. It is good that MS spoke openly. Good start....

It is a good start but let's not focus just on Foreign NGO's but follow the path of Sri Lanka. I admire Sri Lanka for having the balls to deny visas and permits for relgious nutjobs who bring their own verions of hate which they spew and preach while throwin money aroung mainly from the Gulf.

How many Tamils on this forum 4-5? How can they represent the views? Prosperity, aww yes....the oldest issue in the world. Instead, of simply chasing propserity how about we do it in such a way where lives and environment are not endangered? The ppl complaining are those who who live closest to the plant. Maybe, if the plant was built behind the politicans backyard, then the complaints could be disregarded.

And how is that plant being a danger to environment? Japan was a special case. Otherwise coal based and hydroelectric plants cause more environmental pollution/problems.

Its easier for you to sit in US and give lectures but for people who lives under 8 hrs of power cuts everyday life is hard. In US electric power may have been taken for granted but in India uninterrupted power supply is still a luxury.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Is tear gas that hard to use?

Gas the protesters, clear the site, get building.

We are not China bro...but yes sometimes force has to be used.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Good points And I agree with you, as my folks are from Kerala and have lived under the same conditions you mentioned. I am only adovcating for better security and safety. Alos, with Kerala and TN being the tip of the south, we should be given gratns to develop a Green industry, it would be far more ideal in the long run and create an industry that employs our ppl. Cheers

What you mean by that?

Alos, with Kerala and TN being the tip of the south, we should be given gratns to develop a Green industry, it would be far more ideal in the long run and create an industry that employs our ppl. Cheers

Green energy investment is being made in the areas which have potential --

For e.g - Wind Energy in TN , GJ , MH

Solar Energy in GJ , RAJ

Hyder Power in JK , HP , Uttarakhand , NE

After the incident in Japan, it doesn;t take a genius to realize that there are some serious safety concerns with such designs. Tamilians are pretty smart ppl, and they also know the Indian gov;t cannot also be trusted everytime in what they say or promise. I don;t think it should be stopped but much more research should be poured into it for safety. NGO's almost alwasy receive foreign funding and like others pointed out there can be nefarious purposes for the funding. Tamil Nadu already suffered from a Tsunami and its coastal areas were affected. Could be the reason for such "protests." Its easy to blame foreign this, foreign that but let's also analyze the situation from a balanced, and fair approach.

My biggest issue with these politicans in India is that they operate with very little checks and balances. Whatever happened to Anna Hazare? He made some pretty remarkable points about the state of corruption and why it goes unchecked in the gov;t level. Sonia Ji refuses to part with her income taxes which was filed by a Tamil RTI activist. Kickbacks, corruption and cronyism are very serious matters yet the gov't is bloody quiet about that. How come they cannot pass and implement some those laws at least

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

It has been emphasised by all people in the know that the proposed nuclear power plants are generations ahead of the Japanese ones in terms of all design issues, including safety. Koondankulam power plant has all the safety features built in to withstand earthquakes and tsunamis. And the French ones that are going to be purchased are perhaps the best designs in the world.

And why are you bringing in irrelevant issues like anna hazare or corruption, istead of sticking to the facts that matter?

And your last lines are curious. Are you suggesting that Indians used to live under nuclear contaminations until the recent past?

Green energy investment is being made in the areas which have potential --

For e.g - Wind Energy in TN , GJ , MH

Solar Energy in GJ , RAJ

Hyder Power in JK , HP , Uttarakhand , NE

Yea but we not utilizing the one source that we have in abundance our coastline, using Wave generating electricity. More discussion/ debate should be brought up on the subject. Those are good baby steps but more can be done. More investment, more importantly govt policy should encourage more green tech by making it a law.

And your last lines are curious. Are you suggesting that Indians used to live under nuclear contaminations until the recent past?

He may be suggesting that we return to our past of living with no power.

NGO = Negative Growth Operators

These NGO's are burden on humanity and invented by westerners and this scum technology later spread through out the world specially third world countries so that these countries never progress.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom