What's new

MDL delivers second Scorpène submarine to Indian Navy

AMRAAM

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
p1692751_main.jpg

India's Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) has delivered another licence-built Kalvari (Scorpène)-class diesel-electric submarine (SSK) to the Indian Navy.

The vessel, which will be in service as INS Khanderi once commissioned, was handed over on 19 September at a delivery ceremony in Mumbai.

Khanderi is the second of six boats ordered under an INR230 billion (USD3.2 billion) contract signed with Naval Group (then known as DCNS) in October 2005 under India's Project 75 submarine programme. The programme's first-of-class, INS Kalvari , was commissioned in December 2017.

Khanderi was launched in January 2017 and was originally scheduled for commissioning in early 2018 after it took to the water. This has since been postponed to 28 September 2019, as reported by Jane's earlier in the month citing senior Indian Navy officials.

The 66 m boat can accommodate a crew of 31 including six officers and can attain a top speed of 20 kt when dived. "The Scorpène class of submarines can undertake multifarious tasks typically undertaken by any modern submarine which include anti-surface as well as anti-submarine warfare", said India's Ministry of Defence in a statement on the delivery.

https://www.janes.com/article/91423/mdl-delivers-second-scorp%E8ne-submarine-to-indian-navy

Isn't the conventional difference between PN and IN is getting wider and wider?

When are we going to get the first of the 8 newly signed submarine deal with China?

When are we going to get the first of the 8 newly signed submarine deal with China?
Nope, unfortunately none of the india's scorpene submarines have AIP, which Pakistan's agostas process. I could be wrong though and someone can clarify.

Nope, unfortunately none of the india's scorpene submarines have AIP, which Pakistan's agostas process. I could be wrong though and someone can clarify.

Scorpenes were supposed to get indigenous AIP as a refit once trials were done?

Yes, I think I was reading somewhere that last 2 or 3 submarines under this contract will get AIP.

So, somehow, Pakistan always managed to keep an edge over India. Either its AIM-120s or AIP powered submarines or tactical missiles like Nasr.

Yes, I think I was reading somewhere that last 2 or 3 submarines under this contract will get AIP.

So, somehow, Pakistan always managed to keep an edge over India. Either its AIM-120s or AIP powered submarines or tactical missiles like Nasr.
On all the three things you have pointed out, you are absolutely correct.

i read they are noisey due to poor workmanship. Apparently been fixed.

Indian Navy rejected MESMA AIP as it affected stealth characteristics of the ship badly.
IN decided to go for stealth instead of endurance.

Indian Navy rejected MESMA AIP as it affected stealth characteristics of the ship badly.

Well, AIP is supposed to increase the stealth characteristics of the vessel by reducing propulsion noise. I don't know why do you guys try to find pride in each and everything of your forces.

Only nuclear subs are useful. India should focus on Arihant class only going forwards.

Well, AIP is supposed to increase the stealth characteristics of the vessel by reducing propulsion noise. I don't know why do you guys try to find pride in each and everything of your forces.
Actually during trials MESMA AIP turned to be hugely problematic system and increased the noise factor by Log4.
Which is why it was decided by IN HQ to junk the AIP as costs were less than gains.

Instead DRDO fuel cell AIP would be fitted at a later state as the MESMA AIP severe problems were inherent with all closed cycle AIP.
An article in Undersea Warfare Magazine notes that: "although MESMA can provide higher output power than the other alternatives, its inherent efficiency is the lowest of the four AIP candidates, and its rate of oxygen consumption is correspondingly higher."

Only nuclear subs are useful. India should focus on Arihant class only going forwards.
Nuclear subs are useful only in certain cases where muscle power is required and not stealth

mmm..how does an AIP system effects stealth..really..you guys do find logic in every case..good for you

starting 2023 one every year till 8 2028

Pak navy is going to be in good shape in wake of acquision of 8 subs, 3 sub upgrades, 8 frigates and 4 coverttes i coming 5 years..its the air force that is in trouble..

dead on arrival...its the same submarine that Pakistan detected in March and almost killed. lucky for the crew, since no war was declared, it was allowed to retreat.
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 3.12.38 PM.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom