What's new

Mechanised Divisions Pakistan Army

Agreed. I understand the cost of inducting many new armoured vehicles is expensive, fair, but the comparative cost of at least transitioning your primary production facility - HIT - to a new design isn't that much in the great scheme of things. Companies design these tracked IFVs for $50-100 m, that is roughly the cost of acquiring the blueprints and ensuring you have the right tooling. You can gradually induct these new IFVs over the long or very long-term (and in successive variants, each more advanced than the previous), exactly like what is being done with the al-Khalid. Just apply this to a new tracked IFV, 8x8 AFV and 4x4 MRAP/LAV.

HIT should stop producing more of those M-113 variants. Those can be acquired from other countries at cheap rates - as the APC was widely adopted.

Chinese VN17 design should be inducted and license produced instead. IFV with cannon + ATGM will increase capability manifold when used with tanks & M-113 (which can dismount infantry) and fit a 12.7mm / ATGM / RBS-70.

And I hope it will persuade you also in telling the number of tanks in your army.

6000 tanks :D :D :D

Even PLA army never claimed to have 6000 operational tanks :D :D

lol.

Are you still stuck there? How does it matter? My question was about the impact of declaring the number of divisions and what was the thinking behind that. Please accept my condolences, but I am not into nit-picking; if you wish, in addition to other prizes and awards, please consider being the designated champion on PDF for picking rich, ripe, juicy nits.

A unique honour, although it is not clear what you are measuring thereby.

[NB: Since it is an apparently critical component of communications for you, please feel free also to inject as many emoticons as you wish.]

I request The @Mods to make this a sticky thread .

Yes.

An excellent thread. Great suggestion.

A division with only ~300 tanks cannot be called an armoured division.
You need Atleast 700 tanks in an armoured division.

Hon Sir,

In current organization, a U.S. tank company has 3 tank platoons of 4 tanks each for a total of 12 - plus 2 additional tanks in the company headquarter section. That makes 14 tanks in a tank company. There are 3 tank companies in every tank battalion for a total of 42 tanks - plus 2 additional tanks in the battalion headquarters for a total of 44 tanks.

Armoured brigade may have 2 to 3 tank battalions. An armoured division normally has 3 but could have 4 brigades which might have as many as 7 or 8 tank battalions altogether in the division. 7 armoured battalions makes 308 & 8 makes it 352. Adding 4 additional tanks for the Brigade HQ, means about 320 tanks in the US Armoured Div. with a maximum of 370.

British army regiment also has 44 tanks to the maximum of 58 tanks in the Royal Dragoon guards. There were a total of 343 tanks in the British 1st Armoured Div. during WW2.

During 1965 war Indian Army Ist Armoured Div. played a major role. To the best my info this Division consisted of 2 Royal Lancers, 4 Hodson’s Horse, 7 Light Cavalry, 16 'Black Elephant' Cavalry, 17 Cavalry [Poona Horse], 18 Cavalry and 62 Cavalry making 7 armoured battalions or a total of about 308 tanks. Russian tank division also has about 320 MBTs. German Panzer Division during WW2 also had between 300 to 350 tanks.

Pray tell me which army has 700 tanks (about 16 tanks battalions) in a single armoured division. It would be a great addition to my knowledge base.

US first armour div has 350 - 380 tanks ... supported by mobile artillery... and a attack heli squad

PA 25th Mechanised Division and its role in combat. I think this Brigadier is COS (Chief of Staff) to Corps Commander. Explains about MIB's in Low intensity conflicts apart from Indian Threat.

Operational capability of MIB's.

This one explains the good old M-113.

lol.

Are you still stuck there? How does it matter? My question was about the impact of declaring the number of divisions and what was the thinking behind that. Please accept my condolences, but I am not into nit-picking; if you wish, in addition to other prizes and awards, please consider being the designated champion on PDF for picking rich, ripe, juicy nits.

A unique honour, although it is not clear what you are measuring thereby.

[NB: Since it is an apparently critical component of communications for you, please feel free also to inject as many emoticons as you wish.]

What else could I expect from a human being like you other than badmouthing others. I am not interested in measuring anything but you definitely was & is because this is all what are you doing since you grown up.

You have stated many times about 6000 tanks but you never gave the source to me, I am still waiting for the source??

PA 25th Mechanised Division and its role in combat. I think this Brigadier is COS (Chief of Staff) to Corps Commander. Explains about MIB's in Low intensity conflicts apart from Indian Threat.

Operational capability of MIB's.

This one explains the good old M-113.

PA now has a Light Infantry Division too - the 34 Light Infantry Division (HQ at Rawalpindi). Popularly known as Special Security Division.

What else could I expect from a human being like you other than badmouthing others. I am not interested in measuring anything but you definitely was & is because this is all what are you doing since you grown up.

You have stated many times about 6000 tanks but you never gave the source to me, I am still waiting for the source??

Hon Better Pakistan.

Only a few would know exact details about the military equipment of Pakistan or of India. I can quote from the 'Military Balance 2016' published by the Institute of Strategic Studies London. It is normally acknowledged as the best source of information about military statistics of the entire world. However one must realize that the data therein is merely a very good estimate. Under Indian Army it gives the following information which most probably represents end 2015 data. By now (Nov 2017) the number would probably be a bit more.

Total Manpower 1,150,900. 14 Corps HQ of which 4 strike coprs. 8 Special Force battalions, 3 arm'd div, 8 ind armd bde, 6 mech inf divs, 2 ind mech bde, 15 light inf div, 7 ind inf bde, I inf div forming. 1 Para bde, 12 mountain div, 2 ind mt'n bde. In other words 37 divisions in total including 3 armoured & 6 mechanized. 20 Ind brigades including 8 arm'd & 2 mech and 8 special forces btn which are all para.

3 arty div, 1 ind arty bde, 8 air defence bde, 4 eng’r bde, 3 SSM rgm't with Brahmos, 2 msl gr'p with Agni, 2msl gr'p with Prithvi.

Tanks: 124 Arjun, 1,950 T-72, 900+ T-90, 1 with 1,100 in store (older models). Total 4,074 additional 236 T-90 & 118 Arjun on order. Making a total of 4,428 tanks.

AIFV 1,455; APC 336. Arty pieces 9,682

Pakistan has 2,561 tanks plus 270 M48 in storage. Total 2,831 with 110 Al Khalid on order. 4,472 arty pieces of all kind.

last 20 years things have changed
greater use of precision weapons mean that air power and air defense is the most important aspect of armed forces
we will also see use of modern smart artillery which has changed the whole dynamics

I've dealt with these so-called Machiavellian characters and their plots through an intense period of work-life, and I never saw/detected anything that resembled the kind of thought process that you think they can generate. The leading element in decision-making is definitely unbalanced, a bunch of hysterical bigots. The implementing side is career bureaucrats, who know that if they don't make mistakes, they will get their full pension in due course of time.
Then you will surely be aware of this gentleman.

About the BLA/TTP supposed connections, it is frustrating to discuss this with any Pakistani friend, because the conversation always comes down to the MQM connection, which I believe was very real at one time. But nowhere, other than Doval's self-promotion, do we know about links with BLA or the TTP.
KULBHUSHANJADHAV

I hope intelligent Pakistanis who read this realise that under Desai, Gujral and Manmohan Singh, RAW operations were cut back severely, and their clandestine intelligence gathering operations were banned outright. I have asked you before, and I am asking you this again: do you think that it is possible to build up field resources, networks of informers and delivery capability in three years' time?
Actions to merely throw us off the scent, no one took it seriously then and no one takes it seriously now and in regard to your latter points according to my Govt, Mr Yadav first visited Pakistan in 2005 and was finally apprehended in 2016, he had 11 years to accumulate all kinds of players in the region and no one seriously doubts that Yadav was the only Indian RAW operative in Pakistan.Kudos Joe

KULBHUSHANJADHAV

Actions to merely throw us off the scent, no one took it seriously then and no one takes it seriously now and in regard to your latter points according to my Govt, Mr Yadav first visited Pakistan in 2005 and was finally apprehended in 2016, he had 11 years to accumulate all kinds of players in the region and no one seriously doubts that Yadav was the only Indian RAW operative in Pakistan.Kudos Joe

From the last backwards, that's why I find these conversations frustrating. If you persist in seeing Indian actions through the same lens with which you view the actions of the Pakistani deep state, these misconceptions will arise. There is nothing that individuals like I can do, to bridge this gap. I've found through the last eight years of conversation that this is the single biggest barrier to understanding; Pakistanis keep thinking that the Government of India is just a Hindu version of the Government of Pakistan, and is identical in its thinking and behaviour.

RAW, for instance, is composed mostly of serving policemen seconded to the organisation, who are going back to serve in their parent cadres (that means to the state where they were assigned on completing their initial 6 months of training). In those subsequent assignments, they are wholly exposed to political action. Their postings are determined by their acquiescence with the actions that the politicians wish to see taken. They do not flout political wishes during their later careers; they do not build up clandestine positions hostile to the wishes of the government of the day during their stints in intelligence. The reason why Doval has influence today is because he is carrying out the wishes and aspirations of today's government, and the reason why that influence is not translated into vigorous and effective action is because he is working with tools that he did not choose, and with an organisation that has had to stop at various red lights, and start again thereafter, if they were asked to. Not even close to the uninterrupted support and encouragement that the ISI received, and not even remotely comparable to the good professional results that can happen through uninterrupted work in covert areas in the field.

Contrast that with the ISI. It is composed, from top to bottom, of serving Army officers, who work in an insulated atmosphere within the government, sheltered from political influence by a clear demarcation of its work as being beyond the remit of the civilian government, and who return to active military service and get posted to fighting posts. There is no comparison with the Indian condition. None whatever. But you, and other well-meaning individuals of integrity and genuine good intentions, persist in thinking that the two are the same. Just a different hue of ideology, just saffron instead of green.

I can't do a thing about this, because such an attitude is built out of a lifetime of experiences that the other side, that the body of individuals I am talking to, has gone through. No amount of reason or countervailing experience can change those attitudes.

We don't, for instance, have the equivalent of General Durrani. We didn't go through the exercise that the ISI has done in more than one case. In the tape, he talks about the location of OBL being known and about the morality involved in the operations of the ISI in Afghanistan. We had nothing equivalent. And I say this with a great deal, an unusual amount of insight and information about our dealings with the Bangladeshis.

KULBHUSHANJADHAV

Coming to Commander Yadav, it is according to your government that we learn that he 'visited' Pakistan in 2005. What is the source of this information? Confessional statements by Yadav? The evidence of an avowedly fake passport, of the sort that government backed clandestine operations produce in a routine manner, and that can be doctored to show any amount of supposed visiting of a hostile country? If so, surely you can draw your own conclusions. If you take me into custody, and after a period of time, produce my confessions before a magistrate that I have been stealing government funds for a period of twenty five years (disclaimer: I didn't; this is just an example), how much is that worth?

The man is said to have taken premature retirement and gone into private business. That rank and age is more or less the rank and time at which officers of field grade passed over for selection resign and try to make a career for themselves in other fields of life. Suddenly now we find that he has actually been in Pakistan for eleven years.

Tell me what you make of that.

Last edited:
HIT should stop producing more of those M-113 variants. Those can be acquired from other countries at cheap rates - as the APC was widely adopted.

Chinese VN17 design should be inducted and license produced instead. IFV with cannon + ATGM will increase capability manifold when used with tanks & M-113 (which can dismount infantry) and fit a 12.7mm / ATGM / RBS-70.
There are many design options, e.g. NORINCO VN17, Otokar Tulpar, FNSS Kaplan 30, Ukrainian Berserk, Polish WPB Anders, etc.

What I wrote about both RAW and ISI is about the upper echelons, and does not mean that these don't have permanent, non-transferable individuals at lower levels.

As the two Mechanized divisions are meant to operate in the deserts (Cholistan and Thar), PA should take the pains and induct tracked IFV's. The APC's and their dismounted infantry are not very useful in the desert. Even if PA equips soldiers in these APC's with portable anti-tank weapons like Alcotan 100.
Very doubtful that PA would use a battle-taxi as direct combatant in the form of IFV to engage enemy. If APC(or IFV) is destroyed in direct combat with enemy, the infantry will lose armoured transport capability jeopardizing the mission plan to keep up with the MBT advance.
Dismounted infantry is used to capture and hold ground, there is no other option. To engage enemy MBT and IFV, PA will use TOW/Green Arrow equipped M113 variants. I do advocate IFV but PA's armoured doctrine supports APC's over IFV's. Hamza is wheeled and has 30mm cannon. Considering a 30mm cannon is used as anti-material weapon, it can damage some hard targets excluding MBT, but may not be able to completely take out a BMP-2. The solution to take out any IA AFV is ATGM or MBT Gun at a distance and maybe RPG variants at short range.

Back
Top Bottom