What's new

Meet the newest Bangladeshi-American employee at Elon Musk's SpaceX. He's 14.

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
One of the newest employees at SpaceX has been described as a child prodigy who skipped elementary school and will graduate from college this week at the tender age of 14.

The spacecraft manufacturer offered a software engineering position to Kairan Quazi a month ago, according to an excerpt from an email from the company the teenager posted on Instagram.

The Bay Area teenager, who is set to graduate this week from Santa Clara University, will be moving with his mother to Redmond, Washington, next month, so he can take up the SpaceX job, according to a post on LinkedIn.

Kairan said he's excited to join SpaceX, in part because it was "one of the rare companies that did not use my age as an arbitrary and outdated proxy for maturity and ability."

SpaceX will not need to obtain special permission to bring the youngster on board, as he meets the minimum legal age to work under Washington state law.

screenshot-2023-06-12-at-1-58-49-pm.png

Photo of Kairan Quazi meeting California Gov. Gavin Newsom during a dedication of Santa Clara University's $300 million STEM research center in 2021. @THEPYTHONKAIRAN

Neither Kairan nor SpaceX, which is owned by Elon Musk, responded immediately to requests for comment from CBS MoneyWatch Monday.

Kairan was born in Pleasanton, California, to Bangladeshi-American parents. His mother, Jullia Quazi told an ABC News affiliate in San Francisco that she began noticing her son was intellectually gifted when he began speaking in full sentences at age 2.

He left elementary school after finishing the third grade and enrolled in community college at age 9. Kairan transferred to Santa Clara University at age 11. In college, he had a multiyear internship at Intel as an artificial intelligence research fellow.

Kairan will receive his bachelor's degree in computer science and engineering from SCU on Saturday — the youngest graduate in the school's 172-year history, the San Jose Mercury News reported.

At SpaceX, Kairan said on LinkedIn he will be assigned to the engineering team at Starlink, the company's satellite broadband internet service. The Starlink system is designed to deliver high-speed internet to customers anywhere on Earth using thousands of broadband relay stations in multiple low-altitude orbits.

The 14-year-old hired by Elon Musk's SpaceX is too young for LinkedIn, has his account restricted​

Story by gmayer@insider.com (Grace Mayer) • Yesterday 12:08 PM

At 14, Kairan Quazi can land a job at SpaceX, but is too young to join LinkedIn. Getty Images

At 14, Kairan Quazi can land a job at SpaceX, but is too young to join LinkedIn. Getty Images© Provided by Business Insider
  • Kairan Quazi is only 14 years old.
  • But age wasn't a barrier to him landing a job as a software engineer at Elon Musk's SpaceX.
  • LinkedIn, however, says he's still too young to join the professional networking platform.
Kairan Quazi, the newest software engineer to join Elon Musk's SpaceX, is only 14 years old.

But while his age didn't prove to be a barrier to him landing a job at SpaceX, LinkedIn says he still is too young to join the networking platform.

On Tuesday, Quazi posted on his Instagram a screenshot of a message from LinkedIn that said his account had been restricted since he did not meet the platform's age requirements. In the screenshot, LinkedIn directed Quazi to the platform's user agreement, which has a minimum age requirement of 16 years old.

Attachments

• 1686846249792.png
    1686846249792.png
    68 bytes · Views: 26
Last edited:
Gain the necessary experience, you need make something that is yours, as what ever work you do they will for ever own it and take credit for it

Great

Gain the necessary experience, you need make something that is yours, as what ever work you do they will for ever own it and take credit for it

He is clever enought to understand that dude

Great

He is clever enought to understand that dude

There is was one guy, that made Einsteins I.Q look average. He became arrogant and didn't finish college Ed.

Just coz your really clever, doesn't mean you can't make mistakes and it doesn't mean you are infallible, only if your in the top 1% lol. You can't learn thousands of yrs of knowledge, with out some kind of assistance.

Last edited:
Here is another Bangladeshi American, born in 2012, Soborno Isaac Bari.

He became a physics and math professor at 9 years old and lives in the East Coast of the US.

He travelled extensively in Asia (Indian Universities especially)

and here he is in South Africa, being interviewed by their state broadcaster, SABC.

And here he is in a Harvard program discussing Astrophysics

He is fun to talk to as well,

His view on religion. "Pride should be there but it should not become dangerous for others" - this goes exactly on target with the teaching of Hazrat Muhammad (SAW).

Last edited:
First Muslim woman confirmed as a US federal judge is from Bangladesh -- Nusrat Jahan Choudhury.

There is was one guy, that made Einsteins I.Q look average.

I.Q only reflects one's problem-solving skills, usually mathematical, and I'm saying this as someone with an I.Q of 130, as per the army's intelligence test. And no, I'm not a "solider boy." Didn't make it!

Anyhow... Does my 130 I.Q mean I rock in social gatherings and tore through course books? Nope, quite the opposite, in fact!

I failed in Metric, not once but twice! Chemistry was my archnemesis. Couldn't understand the damn thing! Plus, I suffer from a combination of Asperger's + ADHD and that means I often struggle at interpreting social cues and come off as either rude or just plain dumb, heh!

So yeah, no idea why some people gloat about their IQs and/or seem to think it's associated with success or something.

Elon Musk's SpaceX hires 14-year-old Bangladeshi-American Kairan​

14-year-old Kairan Quazi is set to join SpaceX as a software engineer after university graduation​

Kairan Quazi. Photo: Collected

Elon Musk's rocket and spacecraft manufacturing company SpaceX has hired 14-year-old Bangladeshi-American Kairan Quazi as a software engineer, reports Los Angeles Times.

He is slated to join the space company soon after completing his graduation from Santa Clara University School of Engineering.

"I think my college years have been the happiest years of my life, because I had a lot of autonomy, really, to share my journey," Kairan said in an interview Friday (9 June) from his bedroom in Pleasanton, California.

The teenager expressed excitement about joining SpaceX's Starlink team, which is responsible for the company's satellite internet service. That's quite the accomplishment, especially for someone so young who has already done so much.

Kairan with advisors at the Santa Clara University School of Engineering – Nam Ling, centre, and Associate Professor Ahmed Amer. Photo: Jim Gensheimer/Santa Clara University
kairan_quazi.png

He traces part of his lineage from Moulvibazar in Sylhet.

He expressed his desire in an interview about wanting to learn the language Bangla.

At the age of two, Kairan was already using full sentences. In kindergarten, he impressed his teachers and fellow pupils with his knowledge of current events by sharing National Public Radio reports he had heard.

At the age of nine, he began to feel that his education wasn't stretching him. His paediatrician, as well as his parents and his teacher, all thought he was ready for higher-level studies.

His parents had a hard time getting him into a college, but eventually he was able to attend Las Positas College in Livermore, California.

The youngster skipped third grade and went straight to a community college where the course load made sense to him.

"I felt like I was learning at the level that I was meant to learn," said Kairan, who later transferred to Santa Clara University.

In his downtime, Kairan enjoys playing video games, like the historical fiction series "Assassin's Creed," and reading the sci-fi short stories of Philip K Dick and the work of journalist Michael Lewis, who wrote about the 2008 financial crisis that triggered the housing bubble, adds the Los Angeles Times report.

He relishes telling stories about his life, because his journey has been filled with moments of trying to convince authority figures of his intellect and character.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom