What's new

Melbourne and Sydney bounce back up the world’s most liveable cities list

Vanguard One

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Vienna and Copenhagen top Economist’s annual list, with Melbourne and Sydney coming in third and fourth

1690235740217.png

The Economist has ranked Melbourne third in its annual list of most liveable cities globally. Photograph: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

Melbourne and Sydney have bounced back up the Economist’s annual list of most liveable cities globally, coming in third and fourth respectively.

Perth and Adelaide were also among the biggest movers up the ranks in the past 12 months, rising 21 and 19 places respectively to equal 12th. Brisbane ranked 16th.

Vienna retained the top position as the world’s most liveable city, according to a report from the Economist Intelligence Unit, with the Danish capital Copenhagen coming in second.

The report remarked that a return to normalcy after the Covid-19 pandemic had lifted standards across the world, with the average liveability index across 172 cities reaching 76.2 out of 100.

That’s the highest score in 15 years, with healthcare scores improving the most, amid gains in education, culture, environment and infrastructure.

However, the report did note that scores for stability have slipped backwards compared with 2022, amid several instances of civil unrest and war.

Melbourne and Sydney took the spots off European cities Frankfurt and Amsterdam, overtaking them after a sharp decline in rankings during the first part of the pandemic.

1690235821712.png

The Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge during the Vivid festival in May. The Economist has ranked Sydney fourth in its annual list of most liveable cities globally. Photograph: David Gray/AFP/Getty Images

Both Australian cities’ healthcare scores improved since last year, when Covid waves were still putting health systems under stress.

Sydney and Melbourne were followed in the top 10 by Vancouver, Zurich, Calgary, Geneva, Toronto and Osaka.

A number of European cities dropped out of the top 10, with London dropping 12 rankings to come in at 46th.

Edinburgh dropped the most, falling 23 places to 58th, with Manchester down 16 places to 44th. There were significant drops for Los Angeles and San Diego (both down 17 spots).

Cities in the Asia Pacific made the biggest gains across the list, accounting for eight of the top 10 movers up the rankings, as their economies emerged from the pandemic. Some of the biggest movers include Hanoi (up 20 spots), Kuala Lumpur (up 19) and Jakarta (up 14).

Syrian capital Damascus was the lowest-ranked city in the list, seeing no improvements across the liveability scores.

The report assessed which locations around the world provided the best or worst living conditions by assigning a rating of comfort for over 30 factors across five categories: stability; healthcare; culture and environment; education; and infrastructure.

It comes as Sydney retains its status as Australia’s most expensive city to live in, amid record high rents and house values.

In the Worldwide Cost of Living report, released by the EIU in December 2022, Sydney was ranked the 10th most expensive place to live in the world, having risen four positions from 2022.

Melbourne came in at 15th, up one spot, while Brisbane was ranked the 32nd most expensive city in the world.

Would love to visit one of them (if not both) in the future
Don't....trust me on this.

Not at lease the Albanese government is thrown out. He is like Biden, only worse...

These reports are meaningless. The quality of life has gone down significantly in Melbourne due to rising costs of living and pressure on infrastructure.

These reports are meaningless. The quality of life has gone down significantly in Melbourne due to rising costs of living and pressure on infrastructure.
I can take the rise of cost of living, that actually ain't that much (the worse for me is pet food which has gone up 15% since 2020) The infrastructure is really shit, it looks as if both Federal and State government only start project to line their pocket.

I can take the rise of cost of living, that actually ain't that much (the worse for me is pet food which has gone up 15% since 2020) The infrastructure is really shit, it looks as if both Federal and State government only start project to line their pocket.
Depends if your income has gone up. Renters are worst affected.
This current PM thinks bringing in more people will solve problems, this has squeezed rental and job market.

Depends if your income has gone up. Renters are worst affected.
This current PM thinks bringing in more people will solve problems, this has squeezed rental and job market.
Agreed. Albanese economic policy is just plain stupid because he is just thinking of GDP as a whole, he didn't think about you bring more people in, yes that would spike the GDP by you also spike the expense it wouldn't affect the PPP much instead it's going to get worse because you still have the same infrastructure as before, thats just not enough to go around.

Cost of living for me didn't really change much, I only care about meat, produce, travelling cost and pet food, thats what my life is around, I own my dwelling so rent is not a problem for me, I guess beside pet food, the worse thing is my utilities.

Cost of living for me didn't really change much, I only care about meat, produce, travelling cost and pet food, thats what my life is around, I own my dwelling so rent is not a problem for me, I guess beside pet food, the worse thing is my utilities.
In the rental market its not just about affordability anymore, more and more people are unable to secure a lease due to high demand even if they can afford the rent.

The biggest drain to the budget is NDIS and Centrelink. My fortnightly tax is approximately 1200, barely enough to cover the payment for one retiree on Centrelink.
NDIS is on another level....

Back
Top Bottom