Pakistan
Messi sentenced to 21 months in prison for tax crime
AFP | REUTERS — UPDATED ABOUT 2 HOURS AGO
WHATSAPP
1 COMMENT
PRINT
577ce57608ece.jpg

— AFP/File
MADRID: Barcelona football star Lionel Messi has been sentenced to 21 months in prison after a court in Barcelona found him guilty of three counts of tax fraud, a statement from the court said on Wednesday.

The income related to Messi's image rights that was allegedly hidden includes endorsement deals with Banco Sabadell, Danone, Adidas, Pepsi-Cola, Procter & Gamble and the Kuwait Food Company.

The court also sentenced the Argentinian player's father, Jorge, to 21 months in prison for the same three crimes. The sentence can be appealed through the Spanish supreme court, the statement said.

However, under Spanish law a prison sentence under two years can be served under probation, meaning Messi and his father are unlikely to go to jail.

The court ordered Messi to pay a fine of around 2 million euros and his father to pay 1.5 million euros for the crimes.

WHATSAPP
1 COMMENT
PRINT

Read somewhere that under Spanish law,under 2 years jail can be served under probation...

@Vergennes @MarkusS Any idea about spanish laws ?

The image I have of Spain from streets of Madrid is, anything is possible if you know the right button :P
Yea the same I was thinking, they have punished a sports person so severely for a crime that's considered a norm in the utterly corrupt Spain, a land of bank Satander.

Thanks god no jail.. I already bought ticket for this

Cmg7MmxWAAEsuvy.jpg

CkbUTssWEAA2dT-.jpg

Back
Top Bottom