What's new

Militants looking to trigger India-Pakistan conflict: US

noksss

Reaction score
Country
India
The United States has expressed fears of yet another Mumbai type attack on India [ Images ] aimed at igniting a war with Pakistan.

Talking to media-persons on his special aircraft en route to New Delhi , United States Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen [ Images ], while praising India for showing restraint after the ghastly 26/11 attacks, said extremists may try to repeat the incident that left 166 dead and over 300 injured.

I've worried a great deal about a repeat attack, of something like that, The Dawn newspaper quoted Mullen as saying.

Mullen stressed that he along with the Obama administration is focussed on making sure "this doesn't happen again".

He pointed out that the Mumbai terror attacks showed how a handful of militants could have a "strategic impact" and bring two nuclear-powered nations on the threshold of a full-scale military conflict.

"One of the things that struck me then and is still of great concern is that those terrorists could bring two countries closer (to possible conflict). It didn't bring them to the brink (of war) but it brought them closer," Mullen said.

Responding to a question over India's stand that Pakistan's Inter Services Intelligence had provided support to the Mumbai attackers, Mullen said after the incident he had conveyed his "grave concern" to that country, including the ISI leadership.

Mullen also acknowledged that the Obama administration has certain 'disagreements' with the ISI over its alleged links with militant organisations fighting against the US led allied forces in Afghanistan.

"The United States sometimes seeks "certain clarifications" from the ISI "on why certain things are done," the top US military official said.

Mullen is likely to visit Islamabad also following his two-day tour to India.

link: US fears another 26/11 type attack on India: Rediff.com India News

Guys how should india respond this time Shall we ask Our PM to walk one more mile to create better relation with Pakistan or shall we ask our Home minister to give More dossier than the First 26/11 attack

Militants looking to trigger India-Pak conflict: US

By Dan De Luce (AFP) – 4 hours ago

NEW DELHI — Top US diplomatic and military officials warned Thursday of fresh attempts by militant groups to push nuclear-armed rivals India and Pakistan into a military conflict.

The chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, said he feared extremists would attempt another operation similar to the 2008 Mumbai attacks in order to goad India into armed retaliation against its neighbour and arch-rival.

Mullen said the Mumbai carnage, which India blamed on the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militant outfit, had demonstrated how a small group of extremists could have a "strategic impact".

"One of the things that struck me then and is still of great concern is that those terrorists could bring two countries closer (to a possible conflict)," he told reporters on board his plane bound for New Delhi.

India suspended a peace dialogue with Pakistan in the wake of the Mumbai attacks, which claimed 166 lives, and the two countries have only recently begun to explore a resumption of structured talks.

"I've worried a great deal about a repeat attack, of something like that," Mullen said, adding that he wanted "to focus on making sure this doesn't happen again."

Mullen began a two-day visit to India on Thursday that coincided with a visit by the US special envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan, Richard Holbrooke.

Speaking earlier to reporters in Delhi, Holbrooke said the LeT was just one of a number of regional outfits, along with the Pakistani and Afghan Taliban, looking to destabilise South Asia.

"They seem to be growing closer together ... (and) their long-term objective is the same: to create the maximum number of problems between India and Pakistan ... to create a crisis," Holbrooke said.

Both men said combating the LeT was a top priority

"I see them starting to emerge as a larger regional to global -- at least aspirational -- global threat," Mullen said.

India accuses Pakistan of failing to crack down sufficiently on groups like the LeT that operate from bases on its territory, and Indian officials were expected to highlight the same charge during talks with Holbrooke and Mullen.

Meetings were also expected to focus on military cooperation and the situation in Afghanistan, where India is concerned about what it perceives as growing Pakistani influence.

India and Pakistan have fought three wars since the division of the sub-continent in 1947 and their relationship has always been beset by mutual mistrust.

Holbrooke rejected the suggestion that India was somehow being sidelined by Pakistani involvement in the Afghan government's plans for reconciliation and reintegration of the Taliban and other groups.

"You cannot stabilise Afghanistan without the participation of Pakistan as a legitimate concerned party," he said.

"India is not being diminished. It's not a zero-sum game," he said. "India also has a major role to play in stability in the region and in search for solutions in Afghanistan."

At the same time, Holbrooke said Washington had also raised concerns with Islamabad about links between Pakistan's ISI intelligence agency and the Taliban.

"The links between the ISI and the Taliban are a problem," he acknowledged.

Mullen, however, stressed that the Obama administration had no choice but to "stay engaged" with the ISI, given its crucial role in providing for Pakistan's security.

"We differ on the specifics on how that should be done," said Mullen, who was due to head to Pakistan after his two-day stop in India.

AFP: Militants looking to trigger India-Pak conflict: US

AFP: Militants looking to trigger India-Pakistan conflict: US

NEW DELHI — Top US diplomatic and military officials warned Thursday of fresh attempts by militant groups to push nuclear-armed rivals India and Pakistan into a military conflict.

The chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, said he feared extremists would attempt another operation similar to the 2008 Mumbai attacks in order to goad India into armed retaliation against its neighbour and arch-rival.

Mullen said the Mumbai carnage, which India blamed on the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militant outfit, had demonstrated how a small group of extremists could have a "strategic impact".

"One of the things that struck me then and is still of great concern is that those terrorists could bring two countries closer (to a possible conflict)," he told reporters on board his plane bound for New Delhi.

India suspended a peace dialogue with Pakistan in the wake of the Mumbai attacks, which claimed 166 lives, and the two countries have only recently begun to explore a resumption of structured talks.

"I've worried a great deal about a repeat attack, of something like that," Mullen said, adding that he wanted "to focus on making sure this doesn't happen again."

Mullen began a two-day visit to India on Thursday that coincided with a visit by the US special envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan, Richard Holbrooke.

Speaking earlier to reporters in Delhi, Holbrooke said the LeT was just one of a number of regional militant groups, along with the Pakistani and Afghan Taliban, looking to destabilise South Asia.

"They seem to be growing closer together ... (and) their long-term objective is the same: to create the maximum number of problems between India and Pakistan ... to create a crisis," Holbrooke said.

Both men said combating the LeT was a top priority.

"I see them starting to emerge as a larger regional to global -- at least aspirational -- global threat," Mullen said.

India accuses Pakistan of failing to crack down sufficiently on groups like the LeT that operate from bases on its territory, and Indian officials were expected to highlight the same charge during talks with Holbrooke and Mullen.

US officials said they have pressed Pakistan to prosecute LeT extremists but have so far made little headway.

"We haven't had a breakthrough on the Mumbai issue," Vali Nasr, senior adviser to Holbrooke, told reporters at the US embassy.

"Progress has been slow," he said.

Washington would continue to raise its concerns amid hope that improving US ties with Pakistan "will make these discussions more fruitful," he added.

Mullen's meetings in New Delhi are also expected to focus on military cooperation and conditions in Afghanistan, where India is concerned about what it perceives as growing Pakistani influence.

India and Pakistan have fought three wars since the division of the sub-continent in 1947 and their relationship has always been beset by mutual mistrust.

Holbrooke, who was due to depart Delhi for London, rejected the suggestion that India was somehow being sidelined by Pakistani involvement in the Afghan government's plans for reconciliation and reintegration of the Taliban and other groups.

"You cannot stabilise Afghanistan without the participation of Pakistan as a legitimate concerned party," he said.

"India is not being diminished. It's not a zero-sum game," he said. "India also has a major role to play in stability in the region and in search for solutions in Afghanistan."

At the same time, Holbrooke said Washington had also raised concerns with Islamabad about links between Pakistan's ISI intelligence agency and the Taliban.

"The links between the ISI and the Taliban are a problem," he acknowledged.

Mullen, however, stressed that the Obama administration had no choice but to "stay engaged" with the ISI, given its crucial role in Pakistan.

While Washington recognised the ISI helped provide for Pakistan's security, Mullen said: "We differ on the specifics on how that should be done."

The admiral was due to head to Pakistan after his two-day stop in India.

Important thing to be considered here is who is sheltering these militants who have the capability to stage such an attack? Who is financing them, training them, equipping them? Where are their training camps?

If the host country cannot control these organizations, someone else will have to do the job.

Afghanistan could not control its terror, NATO stepped in.

Our neighbour cannot control theirs', India will step in.

they came closer to conflict due to indian drums of war and false propoganda all over the news..US has ill intentions and that is confirmed..it talks about possible war and then sells arms to both side..that is why we have our trusted friend :china:

On the flip side, these so called training camps are cold war legacy which ISI has not bothered to root out and once their american funding arm was gone, the place was comfortably occupied by Arabs for their own ill intentions and now by Indians for having "strategic" hand in Pakistan.

Keep getting high on that dream. We are WOT partner and most allied non-nato country. We could call USA and NATO before thinking about India.

If the host country cannot control these organizations, someone else will have to do the job.

Afghanistan could not control its terror, NATO stepped in.

I believe that is a very simplistic view of the problem. To your points 1) Afghanistan was not even trying to control the Taliban, instead it was actively promoting it. Pakistan is trying (or at least) trying to fight the terrorists.

2) NATO stepped in only after 9/11. I seriously doubt if NATO would have stepped in if US had not been attacked. To them, terrorism was something far far away till 9/11.

3) India will step in where? We are having hard time fighting Maoists insurgents at home, do you really believe it is as easy as walking in to the training camps and destroying them?

I wish things were as easy as your post made it out to be, unfortunately reality is much different.

Let the next attack happen and see for yourself. We are already on "amber".

We did not attack even after the Parliament attack, under a BJP govt in center. I don't see us launching a full fledged attack or even surgical strikes happening as a result of another terrorist attack.

Doing that would be walking into the trap set by the extremists who are eager to have next India-Pak war.

I sure hope this doesn't happen again and lives are not lost in India or elsewhere GOD forgive. I sure hope all these coward terrorist are killed i swer i hate them so much bastards i hope they all die in hell if i could kill them my self i would .

I would love to have a bigger question.

1. Does it really bother the US that it will loose its key allies if there is a war btn India and Pak.

2. Or it will not left with any horses to ride its cart in Asia?

I sure hope this doesn't happen again and lives are not lost in India or elsewhere GOD forgive. I sure hope all these coward terrorist are killed i swer i hate them so much bastards i hope they all die in hell if i could kill them my self i would .

There is sanity still prevails in the world..after readin some previous posts i was like :hitwall:

I would love to have a bigger question.

1. Does it really bother the US that it will loose its key allies if there is a war btn India and Pak.

2. Or it will not left with any horses to ride its cart in Asia?

Militarily and Strategically, Pakistan is much more important to US than India, at least in short term.

Politically and Economically India is much more important in long term relationship to US.

We did not attack even after the Parliament attack, under a BJP govt in center. I don't see us launching a full fledged attack or even surgical strikes happening as a result of another terrorist attack.

Doing that would be walking into the trap set by the extremists who are eager to have next India-Pak war.

It depends on the scale of the attack. If the CWG's were shot up/bombed we would have a real party on our hands, especially since its the same government.

It depends on the scale of the attack. If the CWG's were shot up/bombed we would have a real party on our hands, especially since its the same government.

The 2001 attack too almost led to war, and at a certain point the Indian forces were about to attack but were picked up by US KH-11 sat.. Fearing a nuclear war the Americans let us know about the buildup and in parallel tried to persuade the Indians to back down.
The Delay allowed Pakistan to position its forces properly to prevent the attack and went on to become the stalemate that lasted for over a year.

Both Pakistan & India should be but on alrert and use there intel agencies to go to work ASAP to try to prevent any such attacks in India , Pakistan or elsewhere lets kill these bastards lets work together rather then hate each other.. one must understand its a very hard task but nothing in the world is impossible neather is this we need to find the core of this serious issue and address it with full force kill them all i say . I belive these bastards are loosing everyday to a scale atleast you see in Pakistan there are trying to make the sunni & shia's fight with each other on the other hand now they are trying to make Pakistan and India fight we must trust each other and overcome this madness together.

Back
Top Bottom