What's new

Mirror Mirror

Panther 57

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
An interesting and thought provoking article by Asma Jehangir's Duffer.

By Lt Gen Tariq Khan (retd)

Have been away for a while, was watching matters with concern and disappointment as Pakistan stumbles through one crisis to another. But then am I qualified to say anything at all in the first place? A retired officer of the armed forces, it appears may have no right to criticize, suggest or recommend anything within this sacred democracy. If he does it’s immediately considered a call for ‘Martial Law.’ On the other hand, people such Asma Jehangir, generalize their opinion and call us ‘duffers’, in other words, brainless people who do not have the right to an opinion in the first place. So am I missing the point on account of my lack of intellectual capacity and all that I see are just illusions and that matters are in fact all honkey dory in the Islamic Lands of Pakistan, that I should neither be concerned nor have the right to be concerned? Is that how I am supposed to spend the rest of my life being lectured by their wisdom and their logic as they preach ‘sanity, peace and harmony’? I have listened to the animated arguments of those who wish to befriend India at any cost while their silence on Kashmir at the same time astounds me; I have heard those who want to ‘leave’ Afghanistan alone but suggest no resolution to the our TTP sitting in Kunar or continued Afghan insinuations on the Western Border. It seems that we are always wrong that here is nothing right in what we do. The same people who cried hoarse accusing Musharaf of buckling under US pressure are silent as the Ummah prostitutes itself in a public display of selling body and soul to Trump. I wonder what one would say to the troops today when going into battle to be prepared to lay down their lives for this country. This is probably the only domain where I can claim qualification. So what would one say? Should our men fight and die so that Qadri can be freely celebrated as a murderer or that Mullah Azizi can announce the anniversary of when they shot and killed an officer of the Armed Forces in broad daylight in the Capital of this Country? Should he die for what he is publically accused of by Dawn or for a government that is under trial by a JIT for robbing him, for the linesman who steals his electricity or the DC who lords over him? For a CJ Mr Chaudry and his son or for the land mafia that encroach on his lands, for Dar who exploits his own people as he searches how he can still tax those who pay taxes and protect those who don’t, for ministers who cannot hold a commitment for more than 24 hours; for the liars, cheats, thieves who surround us in every walk of life. Tell me, what will you tell your troops today, lay down their life for what – for this?

In Saudia, Pakistan appeared like a bride with her trousseau ready, waiting for the first suiter to woe her. With nothing to say, and no contribution, Pakistan sat on the fringes of the coalition hoping a scrap would be thrown her way too. As India was celebrated in the wake of the Kashmir genocide, Pakistan’s sacrifices were trampled upon as a warning was read out to those who aid and abet terrorists on their lands. I wonder who all qualify for such a warning. So how do you motivate your men today – fight the American devil or the Arab?

With dire threats to Iran, the Coalition cannot pretend it is anything else but a sectarian alliance and we with our ‘duffers’ stupidity are in the lead. Though we have no dog in this fight, we have jumped in with glee. I suppose for the apologists of the Ummah, ‘this is our war’ and they have finally found the right war to fight having fought the wrong one for the last so many years. So what should we tell our troops, why have they been fighting when they were fighting?

Kulbashan Yadev was an opportunity but have we allowed this opportunity to slip through our fingers; was it deliberate or was it incompetence? Afghanistan invaded our territory, has been thrown out and census has been completed but I saw no serious protest or concern. So, I now understand why the social media must be muzzled in this democracy because whereas the evil that surrounds us does pain but the truth is even more painful. We are endangering CPEC, we are becoming unstable in our positions, we do not know our destination, we have no national objectives and we hope that the future will be better but we don’t know why. There is no accountability whether it’s a PIA Plane on a narco mission or Ayyan Ali laundering money, there is no one responsible for foreign policy failures or government in collapse. So who and what should he fight for?

My question then remains, and I would like someone to educate me, ‘With are territorial spaces threatened, with our sovereign rights set aside, our international standing ground to dust, what then should this soldier fight for, what exactly should we tell him? Good luck to all, hope we survive this but then ‘duffers’ such as me have always painted gloom and despair and maybe I am missing the point as well as the party where everyone is celebrating as I stand on the margin watching the show go on.

Maybe as a citizen and a citizen I am, and not as ‘duffer’ of the armed forces, I still have the right to ask questions in this hobbled democracy and have right to demand answers from this parliament, even though it appears to me as an irrelevant parliament:

1. How was Pakistan allowed to attend the Saudi Coalition when the Parliament had ruled that we shall not be a part of it?

2. Why is the Parliament silent on making the Dawn Leaks a public document?

3. Why is the Parliament quiet on the Abbottabad Commission?

4. Does the Parliament have any concern for the alleged Border Violations and do they have any constructive recommendations?

5. Has the Parliament called the Committee on Kashmir to ask how they justify their existence? Or is there any direction by the Parliament on this matter.

6. Will the Parliament debate and discuss the unconstitutional debt accumulated and debt servicing?

7. Will the Parliament question the government on their handling of the Kulbashan Case.

8. Will the Parliament insist on making public all CPEC ‘deals’?
2017-05-24, 5:45:27 PM: Ali Kazim: Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the biggest duffer of them all?
Reminds me of story where a husband unexpectedly comes home and finds his wife in bed with a stranger and asks the wife what's happening?
The wife says to the bed mate, " I told you he is such a duffer that he can see what is happening yet asks "what's happening!"

@Spring Onion @fatman17 @Azlan Haider @F.O.X @Rashid Mahmood @BATMAN @Leader @Horus @Imran Khan @Syed.Ali.Haider @are

If you ask me for an honest opinion .............. if the battles get decided based on the conduct of the rulers of fighting countries ................... Pakistan with such rulers would never be able to win the battle against india. You may dislike them, hate them but indian government is honest, loyal and faithful to their country, they have tried to reach their common people.

So who and what should he fight for?

For future of Pakistan, for the children back at home. No other reason seems good enough to lay down one's life.

If you ask me for an honest opinion .............. if the battles get decided based on the conduct of the rulers of fighting countries ................... Pakistan with such rulers would never be able to win the battle against india. You may dislike them, hate them but indian government is honest, loyal and faithful to their country, they have tried to reach their common people.

For future of Pakistan, for the children back at home. No other reason seems good enough to lay down one's life.
In the light of authors explicit explanation, I am at least speechless on this. Which Pakistan are we talking about? and whose children are we talking about? Those for whom I have been serving are now so suppressed that they are giving their lives to secure jobs for their next generation.
Though very convinced that CPEC is the road to success for Pakistan, but with current agreements there will be no more Pakistan. Elites have sold each and every bit of this country for their comfort and wealth. Today you find Chinese women selling mobile phones on the streets of Karachi. Running home delivery food business in Lahore. They have found better utility of their prisoners, by putting them as labour in Gwadar projects. Our criminals continue to run gangs for elite from jail itself. Each and every project which Chinese are running has more than 90% their own manpower, where will my people go? Sell gola ganda outside these projects or run chai ka dhaba along CPEC routes?
Chinese firms will have tax holidays whereas already taxed class will further be taxed to payoff Chinese loan. Isnt it interesting that all benefits are being extended to Chinese investors yet the investment which they make will be a loan and have to be paid back with interest. That too higher then international interest rates. Look at your electricity bill, consumption charges are 55% and 45% are taxes, which will see some more jump today.

Sorry for getting carried away and digressing from the topic.

Maybe as a citizen and a citizen I am, and not as ‘duffer’ of the armed forces, I still have the right to ask questions in this hobbled democracy and have right to demand answers from this parliament, even though it appears to me as an irrelevant parliament:

1. How was Pakistan allowed to attend the Saudi Coalition when the Parliament had ruled that we shall not be a part of it?

4. Does the Parliament have any concern for the alleged Border Violations and do they have any constructive recommendations?

5. Has the Parliament called the Committee on Kashmir to ask how they justify their existence? Or is there any direction by the Parliament on this matter.

6. Will the Parliament debate and discuss the unconstitutional debt accumulated and debt servicing?

7. Will the Parliament question the government on their handling of the Kulbashan Case.

Good questions by a duffer, but can a bloody civilian ask the same questions of the GHQ? After all, many of these issues arise from there.

Though very convinced that CPEC is the road to success for Pakistan, but with current agreements there will be no more Pakistan.

Let CPEC mature. Time will tell what it actually does for Pakistan, both good and bad.

We all very well know the role of our sacred parliament.
They are here to serve their own self rather than serve the state.

Basically both, Pakistani civil and military elite are corrupt and living in old colonel era. Similar things have happened in military rules in Pakistan. There are huge failures, like war of 71 but nothing came open to public. Then there are issues like slaughter of our boys in Salala and OBL incidents, but every body is living happy, as both have same old master.

Today you find Chinese women selling mobile phones on the streets of Karachi. Running home delivery food business in Lahore.
What's wrong with that?

Each and every project which Chinese are running has more than 90% their own manpower, where will my people go?
2/3 of the manpower will be of Pakistanis, the 1/3 Chinese are specialized labourers which Pakistan lacks.

Chinese firms will have tax holidays whereas already taxed class will further be taxed to payoff Chinese loan.
Our debt %age ratio is very healthy and below global average, about the same as India. Debt accumulation is a necessary step for growth. The revenue made from this massive project will be used to pay off whatever debt we have.

What's wrong with that?

2/3 of the manpower will be of Pakistanis, the 1/3 Chinese are specialized labourers which Pakistan lacks.

Our debt %age ratio is very healthy and below global average, about the same as India. Debt accumulation is a necessary step for growth. The revenue made from this massive project will be used to pay off whatever debt we have.
Seems your information is incorrect on 2/3 and 1/3. Furthermore, all raw material will come from China duty free which will eliminate local industry. And having debt% below global average does not mean we should keep borrowing. Revenue made from this massive project will go to China for a certain period of time.

An interesting and thought provoking article by Asma Jehangir's Duffer.

By Lt Gen Tariq Khan (retd)

Have been away for a while, was watching matters with concern and disappointment as Pakistan stumbles through one crisis to another. But then am I qualified to say anything at all in the first place? A retired officer of the armed forces, it appears may have no right to criticize, suggest or recommend anything within this sacred democracy. If he does it’s immediately considered a call for ‘Martial Law.’ On the other hand, people such Asma Jehangir, generalize their opinion and call us ‘duffers’, in other words, brainless people who do not have the right to an opinion in the first place. So am I missing the point on account of my lack of intellectual capacity and all that I see are just illusions and that matters are in fact all honkey dory in the Islamic Lands of Pakistan, that I should neither be concerned nor have the right to be concerned? Is that how I am supposed to spend the rest of my life being lectured by their wisdom and their logic as they preach ‘sanity, peace and harmony’? I have listened to the animated arguments of those who wish to befriend India at any cost while their silence on Kashmir at the same time astounds me; I have heard those who want to ‘leave’ Afghanistan alone but suggest no resolution to the our TTP sitting in Kunar or continued Afghan insinuations on the Western Border. It seems that we are always wrong that here is nothing right in what we do. The same people who cried hoarse accusing Musharaf of buckling under US pressure are silent as the Ummah prostitutes itself in a public display of selling body and soul to Trump. I wonder what one would say to the troops today when going into battle to be prepared to lay down their lives for this country. This is probably the only domain where I can claim qualification. So what would one say? Should our men fight and die so that Qadri can be freely celebrated as a murderer or that Mullah Azizi can announce the anniversary of when they shot and killed an officer of the Armed Forces in broad daylight in the Capital of this Country? Should he die for what he is publically accused of by Dawn or for a government that is under trial by a JIT for robbing him, for the linesman who steals his electricity or the DC who lords over him? For a CJ Mr Chaudry and his son or for the land mafia that encroach on his lands, for Dar who exploits his own people as he searches how he can still tax those who pay taxes and protect those who don’t, for ministers who cannot hold a commitment for more than 24 hours; for the liars, cheats, thieves who surround us in every walk of life. Tell me, what will you tell your troops today, lay down their life for what – for this?

In Saudia, Pakistan appeared like a bride with her trousseau ready, waiting for the first suiter to woe her. With nothing to say, and no contribution, Pakistan sat on the fringes of the coalition hoping a scrap would be thrown her way too. As India was celebrated in the wake of the Kashmir genocide, Pakistan’s sacrifices were trampled upon as a warning was read out to those who aid and abet terrorists on their lands. I wonder who all qualify for such a warning. So how do you motivate your men today – fight the American devil or the Arab?

With dire threats to Iran, the Coalition cannot pretend it is anything else but a sectarian alliance and we with our ‘duffers’ stupidity are in the lead. Though we have no dog in this fight, we have jumped in with glee. I suppose for the apologists of the Ummah, ‘this is our war’ and they have finally found the right war to fight having fought the wrong one for the last so many years. So what should we tell our troops, why have they been fighting when they were fighting?

Kulbashan Yadev was an opportunity but have we allowed this opportunity to slip through our fingers; was it deliberate or was it incompetence? Afghanistan invaded our territory, has been thrown out and census has been completed but I saw no serious protest or concern. So, I now understand why the social media must be muzzled in this democracy because whereas the evil that surrounds us does pain but the truth is even more painful. We are endangering CPEC, we are becoming unstable in our positions, we do not know our destination, we have no national objectives and we hope that the future will be better but we don’t know why. There is no accountability whether it’s a PIA Plane on a narco mission or Ayyan Ali laundering money, there is no one responsible for foreign policy failures or government in collapse. So who and what should he fight for?

My question then remains, and I would like someone to educate me, ‘With are territorial spaces threatened, with our sovereign rights set aside, our international standing ground to dust, what then should this soldier fight for, what exactly should we tell him? Good luck to all, hope we survive this but then ‘duffers’ such as me have always painted gloom and despair and maybe I am missing the point as well as the party where everyone is celebrating as I stand on the margin watching the show go on.

2017-05-24, 5:45:27 PM: Ali Kazim: Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the biggest duffer of them all?
Reminds me of story where a husband unexpectedly comes home and finds his wife in bed with a stranger and asks the wife what's happening?
The wife says to the bed mate, " I told you he is such a duffer that he can see what is happening yet asks "what's happening!"

@Spring Onion @fatman17 @Azlan Haider @F.O.X @Rashid Mahmood @BATMAN @Leader @Horus @Imran Khan @Syed.Ali.Haider @are
Speechless!

Seems your information is incorrect on 2/3 and 1/3. Furthermore, all raw material will come from China duty free which will eliminate local industry. And having debt% below global average does not mean we should keep borrowing. Revenue made from this massive project will go to China for a certain period of time.

What's your assesment on poverty reduction from CPEC? Is there any study on the positive impact of mere connectivity part of this development?

In the light of authors explicit explanation, I am at least speechless on this. Which Pakistan are we talking about? and whose children are we talking about? Those for whom I have been serving are now so suppressed that they are giving their lives to secure jobs for their next generation.

In these past 70 years did the colors of Pakistan remain the same? Change doesn't happen overnight, a tree planted today may not benefit me but my future generations. No depression no frustration should stop me from planting that tree, even if others are hell bent on cutting down the already planted trees ........... just play your role and don't expect the outcome the next day.

A retired officer of the armed forces, it appears may have no right to criticize, suggest or recommend anything within this sacred democracy. If he does it’s immediately considered a call for ‘Martial Law.’

What are you stating brother???? Even after being Struck off Strength(SOS),and complication of active reserve period,are we still subjected to MBML and liable to face charges of SEDITION for the rest of our natural lives?

Last edited:
What are you stating brother???? Even after being Struck off Strength(SOS),and complication of active reserve period,are we still subjected to MBML and liable to face charges of SEDITION for the rest of our natural lives?
Some what yes, but here the author is being sarcastic.

What's your assesment on poverty reduction from CPEC? Is there any study on the positive impact of mere connectivity part of this development?
In my opinion, it will not have same effect as what has been told to people.

Back
Top Bottom