What's new

Modi's honeymoon with crude oil set to get over: Hard times ahead

I am not convinced that sugarcane is the solution to any of our problems.

In fact, in many of the regions of Vidarbha/Marathwada and some places in Karnataka where there was severe scarcity of water, overgrowing sugarcane was the main culprit. Growing sugarcane has political backing since many of the Maharashtra politicians (read Pawars) own or have vested interest in hundreds of sugar mills.

Also, from farmers' POV, growing sugarcane is much more easier than other crops and more profitable even when there is huge oversupply (due to an unreasonably high Minimum Support Price set by the governments - again with full political backing that have vested interests). So farmers don't think twice about growing sugarcane even when they know fully well that they are draining their entire water table!

What that does is that a few very rich farmers end up using all the water for their sugarcane/paddy/banana for exports while other marginal farmers and poor city folks don't have a drop to drink and also starving the whole region by not growing the staple food crops which are not that dependent on water.

Actually, I am against MSP for all water-intensive crops. Let the market forces determine the price of those commodities which are water-intensive to begin with. At least that will deter some of our farmers going just for sugarcane or paddy or banana.

I don't think you read the link- It talks about a sugarcane variety which can be grown in drought affected areas- Other than that I agree with most of your post-

One question I want ask. I think India bought some 6-7 billion dollar worth of oil from Iran which was to paid of later on. UPA bought that oil and did not pay and now NDA will have to pay it.....in dollars. And they have also started paying it.

BTW what did UPA did with that 6-7 billion dollar? This amount should also be taken into account.

@GURU DUTT @nair @fsayed

One question I want ask. I think India bought some 6-7 billion dollar worth of oil from Iran which was to paid of later on. UPA bought that oil and did not pay and now NDA will have to pay it.....in dollars. And they have also started paying it.

BTW what did UPA did with that 6-7 billion dollar? This amount should also be taken into account.

@GURU DUTT @nair @fsayed
Already first tranche of 500 millions dollars released before modi visit

He is a PDF THINK Tank lol enough Said ... they are not even worth a reply... A third rate Troll with a Think Tank Tag who uses Terms like Bhakts for Government supporters without any provocation...

This was a god gifted opportunity for MODI government and I am a Happy that he used the opportunity at the best... Oil prices are not gonna increase above 65 Dollar in another 2 years... The only thing which can rise the prices is growth in consumption in Western market , infrastructure Superboom in India and African Countries or a war between Saudi and Iran... all of which are unlikely ...

well a Venezuela situation can inflate price for oil...

With Total Saving of 150 Billion $ from OIL ever increasing FDI, By the end of 4th years Money would start pouring into the Jan Dhan Accounts ... Economy would be growing 9% to 10%, Low inflation... would Give a second Term for MODI Government.

But everything said MODI Government should start taking bigger steps on FDI and also making capital available for co-operate sector ... Vijay Mallaya Scam should not overshadow this...
If I am not wrong you people are talking about that Naxalite supporter.

Already first tranche of 500 millions dollars released before modi visit

I know, that's why I said they have started paying it. But that's during NDA regime. But UPA burrowed it promising that it will be paid off. So in a way they saved the money at that time and put the pressure on the next Govt. and here it is NDA.

I don't think you read the link- It talks about a sugarcane variety which can be grown in drought affected areas- Other than that I agree with most of your post-

Mate, I read that article. But it is still on paper yet and I am not sure how much water consumption you can actually reduce for sugarcane -- which is essentially a very water-thirsty crop. It also doesn't answer the question - how long can we afford to divert our already-scarce lands to grow cash crops at the expense of staple food production?

The problem is not just water consumption, but also diverting of the agri lands to grow cash crops disproportionately - all due to vested interests of the politicians.

This is exactly why it is a bad move to promote and subsidize sugarcane for Ethanol production - since it promises to be profitable to the farmers to grow sugarcane ONLY given our reliance on petroleum. It would be hard to convince them to grow anything else.

At the very least, we should stop subsidizing one crop over the other and let the market forces be the drivers for our farmers to grow whatever they want.

Mate, I read that article. But it is still on paper yet and I am not sure how much water consumption you can actually reduce for sugarcane -- which is essentially a very water-thirsty crop. It also doesn't answer the question - how long can we afford to divert our already-scarce lands to grow cash crops at the expense of staple food production?

The problem is not just water consumption, but also diverting of the agri lands to grow cash crops disproportionately - all due to vested interests of the politicians.

This is exactly why it is a bad move to promote and subsidize sugarcane for Ethanol production - since it promises to be profitable to the farmers to grow sugarcane ONLY given our reliance on petroleum. It would be hard to convince them to grow anything else.

At the very least, we should stop subsidizing one crop over the other and let the market forces be the drivers for our farmers to grow whatever they want.

Crops like sugar cane can be grown in the floodplains of UP and Bihar or even Assam- These areas get flooded for 2-3 month every year so there will not be any water problem- But the sugar mills in these areas have been shut down mostly and people are leaving the land barren and are migrating to cities to get Jobs-

I agree sugarcane boom in Maharashtra was done for vested interests at the cost of sugarcane farmers of UP and Bihar-

Sugarcane should not be subsidized to make ethanol- I am talking about surplus production and using flooded land for economic activity- I personally know areas which are flooded for almost six months and no economic activity can take place- also If less water consuming sugarcane is possible then It should be used too but not at the coast of other essential food grains, pulses, oil seeds etc- It would then create a dangerous situation- and ethanol production has to be strictly monitored- If it goes out of hand It may create lost of problem in future-

Back
Top Bottom