What's new

Money saving/debt eliminating tips

iPhone

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
a couple of years ago I put myself in a real ditch (for me) about 40,000 dollars deep. At first I didn't think of it much, said I'm young and will pay it off in a short period of time. Once I started making monthly payments with interest and harldy saw the balance come down, the reality hit home.

I realized how messed up of a situation I was in, it was this weight on my chest. Zero savings, and all this debt, it sucked. First thing I did was lower my expenditures. Basically asked myself before buying something, do I "need" this or do I "want" this? If it was a need, I bought it, if it was a want, I just said I'll think about it.

Second thing, I transfered my debt to the lowest paying interest source possible. There was a transaction fee but it was worth it. I also made sure I start a savings account. So everytime I made a payment towards my debt, I put a small chunk into my savings account. Debt kept coming down, and saving account kept growing.

And the money I spend, I do it through creditcards that pay you cash back bonuses. Basically 1% of the amount you spend. But the trick is to pay off the entire balance at the end of the month, which I do. Otherwise you'll be paying a much higher than 1% interest rate. What that does is after three or four months I get like 50 or 60 bucks in rewards which I use for statement balance.

After 5 years of hard work, it paid off. Now as a father of two girls I'm way more cautious about what I spend and where I spend it, unlike before. I still buy some "want" only things here and there but not all the time. I have a substantial savings and a 401k account (which however keeps taking a hit due to the economy).

I still have some debt but that's cuz I bought property in Pakistan. That I consider good debt cuz it's already almost doubled in value. Unlike bad debt, like say buying a car, which only depreciates in value, like I had before.

So you Stop buying Iphone right? :agree:

I think america could and should learn from you. perhaps you could pm obama?

well basic tips but nevertheless Important...
u say u loaned 40000?or u ran into expenditures?

and yea buying out land/growing assets, almost always translate into positive equity.

So you Stop buying Iphone right? :agree:

like I said, every now and then, a little want here and there. ;)

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

I think america could and should learn from you. perhaps you could pm obama?

a lot of people acutally here are very caustious about their spendings and more focused on their savings. Mostly everyone ackknowledges the wrath capitalism can bring on you if you're not careful.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

well basic tips but nevertheless Important...
u say u loaned 40000?or u ran into expenditures?

and yea buying out land/growing assets, almost always translate into positive equity.

no I didnt loan 40,000. After a year or so of wasteful and mismanged spending, I realized one day, I owe forty thousand dollars.

lol god bless gulf haahahhaaha i have no debit no mess just earn and save .no tax no BS loans just earn and save :wave:

Back
Top Bottom