What's new

More Video Proof- Security cameras and barbed wire: Living amid fear and oppression in Xinjiang

Foggy_Bottom

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
Xinjiang, China (CNN) https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/08/asia/uyghur-xinjiang-china-kashgar-intl/index.html
190417100914-01-xinjiang-kazakh-family-exlarge-169.jpg

The small bedroom is frozen in time. The two little girls who used to sleep here left two years ago with their mother and now can't come home.

Their backpacks and school notebooks sit waiting for their return. A toy bear lies on the bed. Their clothes hang neatly in the closet.

The girls' grandmother says she can't bring herself to change it.
"The clothes still smell like them," she says, her words barely audible through heavy sobs.
Ansila Esten and Nursila Esten, ages 8 and 7, left their home in Almaty, Kazakhstan, with their mother, Adiba Hayrat, in 2017.

The three traveled to China where Adiba Hayrat planned to take a course in makeup application and visit her parents in the western border region of Xinjiang, leaving her husband, Esten Erbol, and then 9-month-old son Nurmeken behind in Kazakhstan, Esten told CNN.

Not long after she arrived, however, her husband says she was detained. He hasn't heard from her for more than two years.
"My son wasn't even 1 when she left," Esten Erbol said. "When he sees young women in the neighborhood, he calls them mama. He doesn't know what his own mother looks like."

diba Hayrat and her two daughters are Chinese citizens, of Kazakh minority descent. She grew up in China, as did their daughters. Their young son was born in Almaty.
The family was in the process of becoming citizens of Kazakstan when Esten Erbol says Adiba Hayrat was taken by Chinese authorities.

Her family in Kazakhstan says she was held in a detention camp in Xinjiang for more than a year, while her children were sent to live with distant relatives.

She has since been released, according to her family. But they say Adiba Hayrat is now living with her parents and working in a forced labor facility, earning pitiful wages, unable to contact her family in Kazakhstan for fear of being sent back into detention.
According to the US State Department, up to 2 million Uyghurs, Kazakhs, Kyrgyzs and other predominantly Muslim ethnic minorities have been held against their will in massive camps in Xinjiang.

An unknown number are working in what rights groups have described as forced labor facilities, and like Adiba, they are unable to leave China.
190417101324-02-xinjiang-kazakh-family-exlarge-169.jpg

'My wife is not a terrorist'
Activists and former detainees allege the Xinjiang internment camps were built rapidly over the last three years, the latest stage in an ongoing and widespread crackdown against ethnic minorities in the region.

Allegations of torture inside the camps are rampant, including in accounts given to CNN by former detainees. The Chinese government has faced a rising tide of international criticism over its Xinjiang policies, including from the United States.

Critics claim the camps are Beijing's attempt to eliminate the region's Islamic cultural and religious traditions -- a process of sinicization, by which ethnic minorities are forcibly assimilated into wider majority Han Chinese culture.

Beijing denies any allegations of torture or political indoctrination, and says the camps are "vocational training centers" designed to fight terrorism.

Even if you buy that explanation, Esten Erbol said, it wouldn't apply to his wife. "My wife is not a terrorist," he said.

[contd]....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/08/asia/uyghur-xinjiang-china-kashgar-intl/index.html

I think there is a problem there but the number of 2m of people held is greatly exaggerated.

I think China should calm down, the situation does not need to be prolonged and Uighur should be allowed to emigrate and go on holiday if they wish!

I think there is a problem there but the number of 2m of people held is greatly exaggerated.

I think China should calm down, the situation does not need to be prolonged and Uighur should be allowed to emigrate and go on holiday if they wish!

Why do you think 2m is exaggerated? Historically, they have muzzled their citizenry and have had a lot more put in labor camps in their countries history.

Why do you think 2m is exaggerated? Historically, they have muzzled their citizenry and have had a lot more put in labor camps in their countries history.

It is too many people to house in these camps. There is definitely a problem there, but on other hand why would anyone trust US when they cared little about the deaths in Iraq & elsewhere at their hands?

You have to use a VPN to watch videos. Which is ironical itself given the topic at hand.
Why? China is the king of making videos, you know Tik Tok, the world number one downloaded app? You don't filter internet doesn't mean you don't lie, as you always do.

It is too many people to house in these camps. There is definitely a problem there, but on other hand why would anyone trust US when they cared little about the deaths in Iraq & elsewhere at their hands?
If there were a separatist movement waging attacks in US, would US be this gentle and soft claiming human rights for everyone? See what they did to American Indian when they fought back.

Ah yes of course, fake news CNN, Trumps favorite news outlet.:lol:

Why? China is the king of making videos, you know Tik Tok, the world number one downloaded app? You don't filter internet doesn't mean you don't lie, as you always do.

If there were a separatist movement waging attacks in US, would US be this gentle and soft claiming human rights for everyone? See what they did to American Indian when they fought back.

Yes I agree with you, but there are still too many cases of missing family members. That makes me uncomfortable to say there is nothing going on there. I hope China just makes the camps more short term so people can go back to the normal times again.

Yes I agree with you, but there are still too many cases of missing family members. That makes me uncomfortable to say there is nothing going on there. I hope China just makes the camps more short term so people can go back to the normal times again.
They will sure have a more meaningful life and contribute to their families and the society as a whole after they learn a trade to support themselves and their families.

Wait because of Iraq why would you trust the free press world over?
So, let's get this established, everything US says is now a lie. Btw, it is not the US; it is the free media and much media from the world over.

If it were the "U.S" as an entity, then with Trump, he would be praising Xi and stopping all the US free press.

They will sure have a more meaningful life and contribute to their families and the society as a whole after they learn a trade to support themselves and their families.
Because Chinese Muslims are all terrorist and or incapable of working? I'm not following your logic of forcing the Muslim people to labor camps.

This is just lovely. In fact these camps are so great, a lot of CPC spinmasters like @beijingwalker have signed up to move into the camps along with their families voluntarily.

Wait because of Iraq why would you trust the free press world over?
So, let's get this established, everything US says is now a lie. Btw, it is not the US; it is the free media and much media from the world over.

If it were the "U.S" as an entity, then with Trump, he would be praising Xi and stopping all the US free press.
Double edge sword, free press can also mean they can say whatever they want and the chance of rumors and lies just get multiplied, and no one knows what's really happening.

Back
Top Bottom