What's new

Mormugao, second P15B Stealth Destroyer, sails for maiden sea trials on Goa Liberation Day

Arulmozhi Varman

Reaction score
Country
India

Indian Navy's indigenous stealth guided-missile destroyer Mormugao went for her maiden sea sortie on the occasion of Goa Liberation day. The second indigenous stealth destroyer of the Project 15B class is planned for commissioning in mid-2022, and, according to the ministry of defence, December 19 was “perhaps the most befitting date” for the ship to be taken out for maiden sea trial as India celebrates 60 years of Goa’s liberation from Portuguese rule.

data%3A

Mormugao, which incorporates several niche indigenous technologies, has been built at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDSL) as part of the P15B destroyers.

“The Indian Navy played a pivotal role in the liberation and dedicating the ship's name to the maritime state of Goa will not just enhance the bonding between the Indian Navy and the people of Goa, but also link the ship's identity permanently to the crucial role the Navy played in nation-building,” the defence ministry said in a statement.

In pics: Mormugao, Indian Navy’s guided missile destroyer, launched

The destroyer is expected to add significantly to the capabilities of the Indian Navy, which got a major booster in the form of INS Visakhapatnam’s and the fourth stealth scorpene class submarine INS Vela’s commissioning. INS Vela was also constructed at MDSL Mumbai in collaboration with M/s Naval Group, France, and was delivered to the Indian Navy on November 9, 2021. A total of six submarines are to be built under the project.

With the recent commissioning in November 2021 of INS Visakhapatnam and the fourth P75 submarine INS Vela, commencement of sea trials of Mormugao is testimony to the cutting-edge capabilities of MDSL and the strong indigenous shipbuilding tradition of a modern and vibrant India,” the ministry added.

Pretty surprised how fast it was going to sea trials. Getting 2 destroyers in 2 years. Great going.

Imphal has been launched. Guess we will get in 2023. It's time to order P18.

Exactly P18 is the need of an hour when I look at Chinese type 55s..... BTW imphal I heard will be more powerful than Mormugao.... is it true?

Exactly P18 is the need of an hour when I look at Chinese type 55s..... BTW imphal I heard will be more powerful than Mormugao.... is it true?

It's not prudent to change the design of a class midway. It would cost more to build and more to maintain.

Example is P28 ASW corvette. The first Kamorta class was inducted in 2014, 3rd one in 2017. Last one was inducted very late in 2020. Reason provided was more system was indigenised on the way and that 4th class has way more systems and Indian replacement than the other 3 ones. As a result, it took 3 year delay.

We dont want that for our programmes. Our destroyer has more space. Mid life upgrade would make it more powerful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom