What's new

Moving an hour ahead?

UnKnOwN

Reaction score
Whats with moving the time in Pakistan an hour ahead? It hasn't saved energy wherever this has been tried as far as I know..

This practice is the norm in most of the Western countries. It is called day light saving time. The idea is quite old since it was observed that while there were broad day light, people still kept the curtains drawn as it was too early in the morning.

It was during the First World War, when there was a rationing and need to grow more food that it was first introduced. It became the norm during the Second World War. In the US during whole of the war (War Time) clocks were kept advanced by two hours. Idea is that if you start work early, you utilize the morning light and then can enjoy the late summer evenings as leisure time when there is still some light left.

If one lives near the equator where there is hardly any twilight, the benefits are minimal. The same will probably be true for Karachi too. However in the latitudes where there is an hour or more of twilight, there is definitely a saving of energy. Studies conducted in the US and other countries indicate an energy saving of between 1 and three percent without any loss of working or business hours. I remember during my school days the school timings were different during summer and winter. Changing of clocks avoids this and till achieves the same purpose.

IMO this is an excellent idea; even though when originally introduced in Pakistan, it was ridiculed as Musharraf time. Now the very people who lampooned it are adopting it themselves

Simple way to remember , SPRING is time forward and FALL is 1 hour back ward.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom