What's new

MPCL announces huge gas well discovery in North Waziristan, will save $1.5b foreign exchange annually

hydrabadi_arab

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Mari Petroleum Company Limited (MPCL) has discovered a big gas reservoir of one trillion cubic feet in North Waziristan which will be helpful in saving the country’s foreign remittance of approximately $1.5 billion per annum.

According to sources, this is a big discovery of MPCL and with this discovery the country’s foreign remittance of approximately $1.5 billion per annum will be saved.

“This is good news, after a long time, for an energy starved country as it is estimated that this reservoir will produce approximately 15 percent of the total gas production of the country,” said a source privy to the development.

He added that the price of this indigenous gas will be around $4 per Million British Thermal Unit (MMBTU) while the country is already bearing the brunt of $25 per MMBTU Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).

According to the MPCL, production of 25 million cubic feet of gas has been started from ST-1 exploration well drilled in Bannu west block, located in North Waziristan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. And, more gas supply from other wells will be 200 million cubic feet per day (MMCFD). Similarly, crude oil production from Bannu west block has also started.

As per MPCL, the said well was spud-in on June 06, 2021 and successfully drilled down to the depth of 4,915 metres. The Drill Stem Tests carried out in Lockhart Limestone formation flowed gas at a rate of around 25 Million Standard Cubic Feet Per Day (MMSCFD) with wellhead flowing pressure (WHFP) of 4339 Psi and around 300 Barrels per Day condensate at 32/64-inch choke size (Pre-acid job).

MPCL is the Operator of Bannu west block having 55% working interest along with OGDCL and ZPCL as joint venture partners having 35% and 10% working interest respectively.

MPCL believes that this is a large gas/condensate discovery and first ever in North Waziristan, which is the result of an aggressive exploration strategy adopted by the company and supported by the Joint Venture partners. Further, appraisal however is required to confirm the extent and production potential of the discovery. Once developed, it will help to mitigate gas demand and supply gap from indigenous resources and will add to the hydrocarbon resource base.

Earlier, another Drill Stem Test in Hangu Formation also tested gas at a rate of around 1.6 MMSCFD with WHFP of 297 Psi at 32/64 inch choke size.

Faheem Haider, Managing Director has said that the management is very excited about this discovery which could go a long way in meeting the country’s energy needs from indigenous resources resulting in saving of foreign exchange on account of import substitution. He said that we are committed to implement a fast track appraisal and development program to fully exploit the hydrocarbon resources and to discover additional hydrocarbon potential in the block.

good discovery Alhumdulillah.

Question is 300 barrels will save $1.5Billion really?

its a Gas discovery not a oil one
Even will tht save us $1.5billion and when we will start getting benefit it from?

its been said by experts that if there is gas then oil also there

Mari Petroleum Company Limited (MPCL) has discovered a big gas reservoir of one trillion cubic feet in North Waziristan which will be helpful in saving the country’s foreign remittance of approximately $1.5 billion per annum.

According to sources, this is a big discovery of MPCL and with this discovery the country’s foreign remittance of approximately $1.5 billion per annum will be saved.

“This is good news, after a long time, for an energy starved country as it is estimated that this reservoir will produce approximately 15 percent of the total gas production of the country,” said a source privy to the development.

He added that the price of this indigenous gas will be around $4 per Million British Thermal Unit (MMBTU) while the country is already bearing the brunt of $25 per MMBTU Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).

According to the MPCL, production of 25 million cubic feet of gas has been started from ST-1 exploration well drilled in Bannu west block, located in North Waziristan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. And, more gas supply from other wells will be 200 million cubic feet per day (MMCFD). Similarly, crude oil production from Bannu west block has also started.

As per MPCL, the said well was spud-in on June 06, 2021 and successfully drilled down to the depth of 4,915 metres. The Drill Stem Tests carried out in Lockhart Limestone formation flowed gas at a rate of around 25 Million Standard Cubic Feet Per Day (MMSCFD) with wellhead flowing pressure (WHFP) of 4339 Psi and around 300 Barrels per Day condensate at 32/64-inch choke size (Pre-acid job).

MPCL is the Operator of Bannu west block having 55% working interest along with OGDCL and ZPCL as joint venture partners having 35% and 10% working interest respectively.

MPCL believes that this is a large gas/condensate discovery and first ever in North Waziristan, which is the result of an aggressive exploration strategy adopted by the company and supported by the Joint Venture partners. Further, appraisal however is required to confirm the extent and production potential of the discovery. Once developed, it will help to mitigate gas demand and supply gap from indigenous resources and will add to the hydrocarbon resource base.

Earlier, another Drill Stem Test in Hangu Formation also tested gas at a rate of around 1.6 MMSCFD with WHFP of 297 Psi at 32/64 inch choke size.

Faheem Haider, Managing Director has said that the management is very excited about this discovery which could go a long way in meeting the country’s energy needs from indigenous resources resulting in saving of foreign exchange on account of import substitution. He said that we are committed to implement a fast track appraisal and development program to fully exploit the hydrocarbon resources and to discover additional hydrocarbon potential in the block.
This is certainly good news if the gas estimates are correct 👍

Wali baratai and bannu blocks are known to be extremely rich in hydrocarbons more should invested to develop the area

good discovery Alhumdulillah.

Question is 300 barrels will save $1.5Billion really?
Its 1 TCF gas reserve about 1/7 of sui( at its original time)
I would expect 300-400MMcf of gas i guess
May be a single termonal of LNG size

This will barely keep our production at 4000

I think the bigger picture... its a new area..new avenue

We need to figure out TTP issue so this . an be explored further

Plus i hope we dont see american drones killing pakistani civilians with blessing of pakistanis again..

Amything above 10 is huge discovery by international standarads
Anything above 1TCF is a big discovery
This is big

===

What pakistan needs is stop wasting gas

We need to ban use of gas for water geasers/home fuel(use electricity instead) and move away from using gas for power production/captive plants

Its 1 TCF gas reserve about 1/7 of sui( at its original time)
I would expect 300-400MMcf of gas i guess
May be a single termonal of LNG size

This will barely keep our production at 4000

I think the bigger picture... its a new area..new avenue

We need to figure out TTP issue so this . an be explored further

Plus i hope we dont see american drones killing pakistani civilians with blessing of pakistanis again..

Amything above 10 is huge discovery by international standarads
Anything above 1TCF is a big discovery
This is big

===

What pakistan needs is stop wasting gas

We need to ban use of gas for water geasers/home fuel(use electricity instead) and move away from using gas for power production/captive plants
Thank decades worth of incompetence and giving people "subsidies" for our missmanganent of gas reserves.
I still can't wrap over my heard that, my bill for winter is like 800 rupees and I run the gas for heater/geezers/central heating system/cooking.
Is should be way way more expensive.

Well I guess now we know why talks between TTP and Army are no longer taking place.

imagen.aspx

Thank decades worth of incompetence and giving people "subsidies" for our missmanganent of gas reserves.
I still can't wrap over my heard that, my bill for winter is like 800 rupees and I run the gas for heater/geezers/central heating system/cooking.
Yup- if we didn’t subsidize gas we could probably be energy independent

I believe there must be gas and oil reserves in Pakistani deserts but we are too much of chickens to drill them due to international pressure. Similar to taking ages to build Gwadar and Cpec.

It wi take years to build the pipeline to get this in the system too

Back
Top Bottom