What's new

MQM a tale of 2 halves.

Bane Blade

Reaction score
The topic sums it up they have been labeled a Mafia in the past and they are a reasonably strong political party from Sindh?

Altaf Hussain is a leader of the party that boasts to have the voter confidence of the city of Karachi which holds a lot of power however it seems to always show weakness everytime any major violent incedent takes place in Karachi, in almost every turn of events that I have observed in our countries political history I have noticed that MQM is a party that has coalitioned with almost all ideologies that have come to power. Their aims have not been very clear in practical life however in every election they have only moved from strength to strength, in the media lite they have come out as a strong party against the "Talibanisation" that has gripped our country, however in my eyes I have not been able to see a clear mind set of the MQM.

MQM has condemned all kinds of violence yet they are a party that is practically shrouded by it, historically as well as presently they have been seen openly using weaponry and opening fire on events such as the 12th of May, I must also add that the PPP are no innocent bystanders either, but carrying on to today the way that they have lashed out at the police report on the violence in Karachi first threatening destabalisation and telling people the police plans operations like 1992, (Police conspiring to launch 92-like operation: MQM - GEO.tv) they have clearly threatened their own coalition partner by saying that they will take "extreme steps", is something that should be put to them and they need to be questioned on their ideology that seems to shift in favour of every government that comes to power. When it is the Taliban MQM seems to be some sort of a very good party that is in favour of enlightened moderation and is a party that people should give power too yet they have too many skeletons in their closet. I won't talk of wayward things any further but actually simply ask people to add their opinion on where the MQM stands because it is something that surpasses me. I will label all the things that I like about MQM followed by what I dislike with a thums up and a thumbs down

:tup: -the early days of the parties vision has to be apreciated his claims were true he only put the middle class to power he didn't distinguish between religious differences or class differences. He worked hard to gain his political name not piggy backing on oppurtunities that came about his ways in the late 80's and his stance against the PPP's open corruption. Then he didn't quit his work when his brother was arrested and shot

:tup: -the developement of Karachi in the past few years

:tdown: -all the violence that came to Karachi along with the parties violence that was promoted by Altaf Hussain in 92

:tdown: -the lack of accepting the blame when something goes wrong.

:tdown: -the killing of his own main coalition members that helped him make the party.

:tdown: -the increase in the rate of crime over the period of 20 years of being incharge

:tdown: -allowing of all these transport land and many other rings that seem to run the city like a mafia.

:tdown: -all terrorist like events of the 92 times they were terrible times. Getting cases dodged or dropped by later joining hands with the very same people that they went against and the reason why I sort of liked them in the very begining.

The thread is not a flaim bait if I had the power I would delete unnecesary posts but I don't so please back up arguements if you are against MQM or for them give reasoning reports and incedents that were recorded preferably links however try not to make them links to blogs because i think any wise guy can write a blog.

I would question and add my views every once so often I support PML(N) and if anyone else is in opposition to MQM please back you argeuments.

I would also request people for good youtube videos not heavily editied ones if they could add them.

Please do post but not so that this becomes a festivity of one liners taunting and jeering one another.

This might interest you....

So no newspaper has carried a differential toll of how many Pathans have been killed and how many Mohajirs. Found this in Dawn today. Its been written in a very by-the-way manner, they have obviously tried to downplay it. So far no other newspaper has carried this...

Violence and the economy

Saturday, 02 May, 2009 | 02:14 AM PST

LOSS of life is naturally the most tragic legacy of the mass violence that erupted in Karachi on Wednesday. Ethnic tensions had been building up in recent weeks, and according to police records the first 28 days of April saw 14 targeted killings. A day later, in one fell swoop, that already alarming figure had risen to at least 50. The Pakhtun community, with as many as 43 dead, bore the brunt of the violence which could break out again at any time.
But human misery aside, Karachi suffered grievously in other ways as well. Private and public property was destroyed, retail outlets and other businesses were forced to shut down, and production in the city’s industrial zones took a massive hit as employees were unable to reach their workplaces. With goods transporters off the roads, exporters failed to meet shipping schedules, dealing a blow to not just their own financial health but also that of the exchequer. Daily-wage earners who live from hand to mouth were the hardest hit in the immediate sense. Besides living in fear like millions of others, many of them may have been unable to feed their families on Wednesday and Thursday.

great thread keep up the good work

The troubles of what took place this week were terrible, I question the leadership of the area as to why they have not taken action since the last 20 years they have been incharge they seem to hide behind cover everytime their seems trouble.

This is also another Altaf hussain I remember who made a coalition with PML(N) in Sindg this was the person who I may have voted for but as I have said in the past many times he has changed his opinion too many times for my good.

Carry on with the rest of the parts isn't too difficult to do that now is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
good job ... despite all the negatives MQM has been getting elected mostly because their supporters have shown confidence in them and appreciates the public work done in Karcahi.

For your points below:

-all the violence that came to Karachi along with the parties violence that was promoted by Altaf Hussain in 92

Violence have always been the part of Asian ploitics and Karachi is no different. Blame lies with all parties and their heads and I don'th think only AH is responsible.

-the lack of accepting the blame when something goes wrong.

This is how we are and our politicians are just a reflection of our society.

-the increase in the rate of crime over the period of 20 years of being incharge

Yes this is the biggest issue! MQM have allowed bhata khori and have never taken any action to strengthen Sindh Police. If MQM is sincere in the well being of Karachites and rest its supporters then MQM must ensure that Sindh Police is a well trained, well equiped and well paid force.

However, this is not the case, MQM could have EASILY increased the capabilities of Karachi police but they always blame the inetrior ministry and others.

Truth is Karachi police is city police and MQM has govt. in Karachi. I hope that MQM supporters realize that and communicate this to the leadership of MQM.

Other politicans should also critisize MQM for not supporting Karachi police.

Violence have always been the part of Asian ploitics and Karachi is no different. Blame lies with all parties and their heads and I don'th think only AH is responsible.

Actually I have to sadly say that during the days of tension in Karachi it was Altaf hussain who made sure all his neighbourhoods were armed to fight the police. Blame lies with Benazir Bhutto her policies and the super violent response of Altaf Hussain and his members oh by the way I also forgot to add the number of people that have died in that party is also very surprising.

This is how we are and our politicians are just a reflection of our society.

I would disagree again I think that alot of the times parties have taken blame for mistakes made and atleast tried to rectify their faults.

Other politicans should also critisize MQM for not supporting Karachi police.

I can introuduce you to one group.

Other politicans should also critisize MQM for not supporting Karachi police.[/B]

I can introuduce you to one group.

yar Lahore mey beth ker biyan dena asaan hai ... why not come to Karachi? ... IK took our advise and landed in Karachi today and he got a very positive response ...

His rally took three hrs to cover a 10-15 minutes of distance ... I think a sign of success

Three hours what an acheivement by the way PML(N) won't campaign in Karachi unless it is election days or something and I simply pointed to your point on other parties should criticize the MQM.

In 2008 elections 90% votes was in favor of MQM, and they didnt had that support in 2002 or before, and they are getting more popular day by day!

If NS comes to karachi then i think he will not have crowd more 500-1000 people!

In 2008 elections 90% votes was in favor of MQM, and they didnt had that support in 2002 or before, and they are getting more popular day by day!

If NS comes to karachi then i think he will not have crowd more 500-1000 people!

Very judgemental of you I think that if he comes he can draw a very large crowd out but the thing is that over the years why has the MQM despite being in power not been effective till recently when Mustafa Kamal has been incharge what kind of coalition partner are they if they keep arguing in media and not in cabinet I question their methodology not Nawaz Sharifs on this thread.

when it comes to KARACHI development alot of people forget who started the development FIRST...it was NAMITULLAH....and because he started it only because of him willingly or unwillingly when MQM came into power it had to deliever....and i guess who ever will come in power in karachi will do so as well....

i think PML(Q) is despised in lahore yet no one can say they did nothing for LAHORE....it is a good trend one party takes an Initiative and then willingly or unwillingly others have to follow!!!

U cant compare Mustafa Kamal with Naimatullah,
Naimat Ullah wasnt not corrup, but he didnt know how to utilze resources!

he didn't know how to utilize it...the question is who tried to stop him!!!

Back
Top Bottom