What's new

MQM, ANP, PPP agree on Karachi ten-point code of conduct

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan
Saturday, August 14, 2010
VIEW: The Karachi conundrum —Mohammad Jamil

The MQM and the ANP should decide whether they believe in peaceful coexistence for all of Karachi’s citizens or if their political and parochial interests are dearer to them. But they should remember that they have no other choice but to coexist

Karachi smoulders. The plain truth is that two political entities, which happen to be ruling coalition partners both in the province and at the Centre, are pitted against each other in a bloody battle for the conquest of Karachi — the MQM for keeping the port city as its exclusive preserve, and the ANP for making inroads into it. For their politics, they have thrown the city into turmoil. Karachi, the commercial and industrial hub of Pakistan, was a symbol of peaceful coexistence where people from all provinces, i.e. the Pashtuns, Baloch and Punjabis lived in complete harmony with the Sindhis, Mohajirs, Memons, Bohris, Agha Khanis and Parsis up to the late 1970s. Karachi had seen turmoil once in 1965 during the presidential election when the late Fatima Jinnah was contesting against Ayub Khan, and a second time in 1972 when language riots emerged after the Sindh Assembly passed a language bill adopting Sindhi as the official language of the province. With the formation of the Mohajir Qaumi Movement, later renamed as the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) to erase the stigma of being an ethnic-based party, the dynamics of the conflict changed. The MQM mobilised the Urdu-speaking people to make Karachi its exclusive preserve, and also to dominate other cities in Sindh like Hyderabad and Sukkur.

However, during the 1990s, the conflict was not Mohajirs versus Sindhis but Mohajirs versus Pashtuns and Punjabis. To understand the reasons behind the present chaos and conflict in Karachi, one has to analyse the events that have taken place in the recent past. After a C-130 crashed on August 17, 1988, killing General Ziaul Haq and other top brass of the army, Ghulam Ishaq took oath as acting president of Pakistan. Elections were held in 1988 and the PPP emerged as the single largest party, winning 93 out of 207 seats in the National Assembly, and the late Benazir Bhutto was invited to form the government. Since the PPP did not have a simple majority, it formed a coalition government with the MQM. But within months, differences emerged and the coalition collapsed. President Ghulam Ishaq Khan, using Article 58(2)(b), dismissed the PPP government and dissolved the assemblies. Elections were held on October 24, 1990. After the Islamic Democratic Alliance led by the PML-N won the elections, the MQM joined the coalition government. When Karachi sank into a bloodbath during the 1990s, military operations were conducted twice to quell the violence.

After the Nawaz government was overthrown in 1999 by the then chief of army staff, General Pervez Musharraf, the MQM again had an almost free hand, as it could get police and other administration officers of its choice posted in the metropolis. Karachi once again became its exclusive preserve. Its strong contenders, Jamaat-i-Islami and MQM-Haqiqi, were knocked out with the support of the government and the no-go areas of MQM Haqiqi were reopened. During this period, the MQM obtained the redemarcation of constituencies according to its wishes. Despite that, the ANP secured two seats in Karachi.

For quite some time, targeted killings have continued unabated, and the coalition government has failed to stop these killings. After MQM MPA Raza Haider was shot dead in Karachi, MQM workers went berserk and killed about 100 Pashtuns and torched transport vehicles, vans, trucks and buses owned by them. It must be said that there was not even a remote possibility of the ANP’s involvement in his murder despite MQM’s allegations. A majority of those killed belonged to the working class who had come to Karachi to eke out a living.

Last week, a code of conduct was agreed upon among the three parties to rid Karachi of bloodshed and targeted killings. This is significant as well as revealing. There is an implicit confession that their hands are not that clean. After all, why would these parties need, at all, such a code if their conduct had been above board and unblemished throughout this ongoing blood-soaked saga? Even if the land and drug mafias are involved, these coalition partners cannot be absolved of responsibility, as similar criminal syndicates operate all over the world through connections in high places that guarantee protection to their criminal activities. And Karachi is no exception. If this code of conduct is to take the political sting out of the incessant bloodletting gripping Karachi and pull it out of this gory fratricidal turf war, nothing like it. But Karachi’s harried residents have every reason to be sceptical, as this code is not unique. Over the years, they have witnessed many a political understanding. The MQM and the ANP should decide whether they believe in peaceful coexistence for all of Karachi’s citizens or if their political and parochial interests are dearer to them. But they should remember that they have no other choice but to coexist.

The MQM leaders claim that the population of Urdu-speaking residents is 10 million, i.e. descendents of those who had migrated from India to live in Karachi. On the other hand, Pashtun leaders claim that the Pashtun population exceeds five million. As both sides have armed themselves to the teeth, this war will give no decisive victory to any side, and at best it may be a pyrrhic victory, which is not likely to be sustainable. The three parties may have put their seals on the agreement, but none is showing any signs of abdicating their political objectives in the city. Not only will these three parties suffer from their internecine conflict, they could cause colossal damage to the country. Political leaders belonging to the ruling parties as well as opposition parties must understand that Pakistan is in dire straits. Terrorism is still stalking the land, lawlessness is rampant everywhere and poverty, want and hunger are mowing down those living below the poverty line. People are committing suicides, and these are increasing by the day. Turf wars or sheer politics of power and pelf are consuming all their time and energy, while the country is slipping deeper into a morass. Can we hope that the leadership will come out of its stupor and take measures to reverse the trend if they want to stay relevant to the people?

The writer is a freelance columnist. He can be reached at mjamil1938@hotmail.com

Altaf cancels all ceremonies in Ramazan

www.thenews.com.pk - Security Verification

LONDON: Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain cancelled all ceremonies to be conducted under auspices of his party during the holy month of Ramzan and announced to deposit their expenses in relief fund for flood-affected people, Geo News reported Tuesday.

According to a statement issued by the party here, Altaf Hussain expressed solidarity with the flood’s victims on mass scale devastations by the catastrophic floods across the country.

He said all ceremonies regarding Iftar Dinner have been summarily canceled and expenses of these ceremonies would be submitted to the Relief Fund for the flood-affected people.

Altaf directed the members of Rabta Committee to rev up their relief activities for affectees and all possible efforts should be made in this regard.

FINALLY MQM DID SOMETHING FOR FLOODS!!! SO FAR THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING FOR KP,PUNJAB OR SINDH...not even donated anything

good job MQM!

FINALLY MQM DID SOMETHING FOR FLOODS!!! SO FAR THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING FOR KP,PUNJAB OR SINDH...not even donated anything[/B]

good job MQM!

The people in Karachi were also disappointed that other parts of Pakistan have not shown solidarity with Karachi when there were violent clashes in the city. The other areas of Pakistan has been sending people to Karachi which have exacerbated problems from already limited resources and infrastructure. Nevertheless MQM should start a massive drive to collect donations for the flood relief and send volunteers to help rebuild homes, clinics and schools.

The other areas of Pakistan has been sending people to Karachi which have exacerbated problems from already limited resources and infrastructure.

What do you mean by 'sending people to Karachi'? Rural to urban migration is a phenomenon in many developing nations. Pakistan has the largest urban population in South Asia by some estimates, over 40%. The floods and the displacements from the military operations will likely add to that number.

It will be interesting to see what the new census throws up.

I do agree that Urban migration poses problems in terms of straining the infrastructure, urban services and employment opportunities, but these are all resolvable by good efficient governance.

I do agree that Urban migration poses problems in terms of straining the infrastructure, urban services and employment opportunities, but these are all resolvable by good efficient governance.

This is what Mustafa Kamal was doing it ... developing Karachi as Mayor..

But when he tried to developed mass transit train system - Transport Mafia ( back by ANP) and majority pashtoon brothers opposed him.

When he introduced GREEN Bus system from China - again ANP was opposing him.

When he tried to make Flyovers and Skyscrapers - `Land Mafia` of Karachi ANP called him names..

Mustafa Kamal had the vision for mini-Pakistan but ANP in Karachi dont want Mini-Pakistan to develop ...

they want Karachi to be like Peshawar .:hitwall:

And we cannt do anything ....

But when he tried to developed mass transit train system - Transport Mafia ( back by ANP) and majority pashtoon brothers opposed him.

When he tried to make Flyovers and Skyscrapers - `Land Mafia` of Karachi ANP called him names..

Mustafa Kamal had the vision for mini-Pakistan but ANP in Karachi dont want Mini-Pakistan to develop ...

These plans you are discussing are nothing more than "Close the jobs of Pashtoons so that they leave this city".

BTW on one hand you put a video in your signature saying "Lets end hate" and now you are blaming pashtoons as MAFIA and showing your extreme hate against them......

EDIT: Please dont bother to reply me.....As i am out of this thread....Because last time racist post by racist MQM members almost made me leave this forum......I dont want to get into this battle again....As i cant post racist comments...

So Happy racism....Bye

Last edited:
This ANP after ****** slapping from taliban and loosing in KP now want to screw karachi , these idiots were on drugs all these years woke up and raised voices against taliban when it was too late .. Now in karachi they want to raise pathan - mohahir conflict to do their junk style politics and give way to taliban.. ANP does know they will fail like always in karachi.

Transport Mafia in Karachi against development and improvement!!

Last edited by a moderator:

:disagree: so much hate!!!

anyways MQM has taken its revenge by doing NOTHING FOR FLOODS! IN EITHER PUNJAB,KP OR SINDH!

reason:

THEY are still an ethnic party! with only vision of karachi and NOT ALL OF PAKISTAN!

MQM's current actions can be compared to that of BLA:coffee: the time when mqm could have stood up and be counted came & they have fallen short well short!!!

:disagree: so much hate!!!

anyways MQM has taken its revenge by doing NOTHING FOR FLOODS! IN EITHER PUNJAB,KP OR SINDH!

reason:

THEY are still an ethnic party! with only vision of karachi and NOT ALL OF PAKISTAN!

MQM's current actions can be compared to that of BLA:coffee: the time when mqm could have stood up and be counted came & they have fallen short well short!!!

what about Kashmir Earthquake ?? Ask the people of Kashmir then reply...

And....

kkf140509-3.jpg

Last edited:
Speedray,

Remember me ?

yeeeessss, its me............... the infamous mqm arsse whooper.

close this mqm dukaan of yours which you've opened here after being kicked out of the other forum. Or else I'll get you kicked out from here as well by disclosing who you really are.

Speedray,

Remember me ?

close this mqm dukaan of yours which you've opened here after being kicked out of the other forum. Or else I'll get you kicked out from here as well by disclosing who you really are.

Who is speed ray ?

Speedray,

Remember me ?

lolz...Who am I ??? Please...:bounce:

aur yar I am not out of any forum but i myself has boycotted other defence forums .... those forums are dead now.. no more discussions.. so i joined this live forum..

Last edited:
Khidmat-e-Khalq Foundation - thousands ofpeople busy in Karachi ..sending the support to the affectes in Khyber Pakhtunkhaw..

always infront when needed

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom