Mumbai hotel expels Pakistan filmmaker

A.Rahman

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Mumbai hotel expels Pakistan filmmaker

By Jawed Naqvi

NEW DELHI, Aug 30: Noted Pakistani filmmaker Hasan Zaidi was thrown out by a Mumbai hotel on Monday for bearing his country’s citizenship but he said on Thursday that the city remained a home for him with many warm friends.

“All my Indian friends were outraged by the incident and they all opened their homes to me,” Mr Zaidi told Dawn from Mumbai.

He said several film personalities, who he didn’t name, as well as close friends helped him move to a five-star hotel on an exclusive beach.

The filmmaker had arrived from Karachi on Monday and checked into a hotel where he was booked by a colleague from Mumbai. “I had barely entered my room when they sent for my passport and said they didn’t put up Pakistanis or Bangladeshis

The erring hotel manager later informed him that several other hotels in Mumbai followed a similar policy towards Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. The two countries have figured as suspects in recent blasts in the city. But there is a communal angle too, prompted by the power that the rightwing Shiv Sena wields there.

In fact, Pakistan and India have not been able to open their consulates in Karachi and Mumbai, partly because Pakistan has been unable to find a piece of land in India’s commercial hub.

Mr Zaidi’s unfortunate story became a major feature on TV channels and newspapers, something he said he didn’t want to happen. When the manager of the erring hotel came to know of his profession he apologised to the visitor.

Mr Zaidi is involved in a project with Mahesh Bhatt for a film that would be shot in Mumbai and Karachi. The shooting begins in January and could take a year to finish. “It’s a commercial thriller with Mumbai and Karachi links. There are Indian and Pakistani actors and technicians involved,” Mr Zaidi, who is a frequent visitor to the city, said.

I am waiting for some Indian member to label this took place in rural area & was committed by the uneducated mass. :rolleyes:

All my Indian friends were outraged by the incident and they all opened their homes to me.

Wasn't this line worth highlighting too?

yeah 'communal angle' , my foot. that is javed naqvi's imagination, its a private hotel and what policy they follow is their prerogative.

i have seen hotels that dont allow unmarried couples to stay together simple for the reason of any sort of police case if happens later, same in this case possibly.

Plus they can have their issue with bangladeshis and pakistanis, call it racist call it whatever its their private business and by not giving a room they are not insulting a indian citizen here atleast so strictly speaking its upto them however humanely speaking they are downright wrong and such practices should not happen instead a through passport check would fit the bill better.

instead a through passport check would fit the bill better.

Yes indeed a through passport check is what is required here because afterall the guy may turn out to be from ISI.:lol:

Rahman's attitude sucks more than the hotel manager's.

The hotel was stupid. It turned down perfectly good business. If I was a hotel owner and my manager discriminated against someone and expelled them, I'd be really mad. Not only because in civilized countries you get sued for doing something like this, but because you never turn away someone who is asking for your services and paying for them.

The hotel was stupid. It turned down perfectly good business. If I was a hotel owner and my manager discriminated against someone and expelled them, I'd be really mad. Not only because in civilized countries you get sued for doing something like this, but because you never turn away someone who is asking for your services and paying for them.

How true. It was plain stupid of the hotel manager.

This doesnt mean all indians are paranoid or prejudiced like this guy

Well the truth is that despite this incident, it will not have any effect on our Meera's, Tina's, Meena's etc to visit India and knock on the doors of producers to ask for roles. Actor / singers will still head to Mumbai even if all the hotel managers turned against them. Dont worrry about them, they will find an abode in Mumbai.

I am waiting for some Indian member to label this took place in rural area & was committed by the uneducated mass. :rolleyes:
The Hotel is the owner's Private Property, and he doesn't want it to host Pakistanis. We have to respect private ownership rights, the Hotel can refuse to serve anybody they like.

Yes indeed a through passport check is what is required here because afterall the guy may turn out to be from ISI.:lol:

There should be no discrimination.

However, passports are checked at all hotels, no matter which country you are from.

It is done when one checks into a hotel.

If it is being done later, that is a privilege being extended, though incorrect a procedure.

There should be no discrimination.

However, passports are checked at all hotels, no matter which country you are from.

It is done when one checks into a hotel.

If it is being done later, that is a privilege being extended, though incorrect a procedure.

I agree there should not be any discrimination regarding which country he/she belongs too but in this case discrimination was made.
Passports are checked at all hotels yes indeed they are, what i said above was in humour because afterall india does seem to have an ISI phobia

This is because he was a film director, maybe they wanted film roles or something.

Well atleast the hotel owner didn't bother to star in his film. Surprisingly how even gestures of gratitude can be misconstrued.

Back
Top Bottom