What's new

My aim is to make India a developed country in one generation, says Narendra Modi in Raigad

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
My aim is to make India a developed country in one generation, says Narendra Modi in Raigad
Later in the day, he inaugurated the controversial Shivaji memorial in Mumbai.
46660-xatzvhpoar-1480765438.jpg

Image credit: PIB

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday said that his aim was to make India a developed country in one generation. Hailing the demonetisation move as a step that will reap benefits in the long term, Modi said, “[The] government will continue with sound economic policies to ensure India’s bright future in [the] long run. No decisions for short-term political gains.” The prime minister was in Raigad, Maharashtra, to inaugurate a new campus for the National Institute of Securities Markets.

Modi said that India is being looked upon as a “bright spot” and he credited the “well-regulated” securities marets for this. “To see how far we’ve travelled, we should look back to 2012-13, when the currency was falling sharply,” said Modi, adding that the government still has a long way to go.

He said, “Our stock markets need to raise capital in innovative ways for [the] agricultural sector.” The prime minister urged those who profit from the financial markets to make “a fair contribution” to nation building by paying their taxes on time. “The true measure of success is the impact in villages, not the impact on Dalal Street or Lutyens’ Delhi,” he added. The prime minister said the government is keen to encourage startups and highlighted the role of stock markets for the “startup ecosystem”.

Modi further said the long-awaited Goods and Services Tax, which will soon become a reality, will be a game-changer. On Friday, the GST council representatives agreed that states will be paid 100% compensation for loss of revenue every two months from the time the new tax regime is rolled out for a period of five years. However, the subjects of dual control and cross-empowerment remained unresolved.

Later in the day, the prime minister visited south Mumbai to inaugurate the Maharashtra government’s controversial mid-sea Shivaji memorial. On board a ship, Modi performed the ‘jal pujan’ ritual for Chhatrapati Shivaji memorial. Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis were present on the occasion. The planned memorial will include a statue, museum, amphitheatre and jetties. Modi also paid floral tribute to the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj statue and laid the foundation stone for two metro corridors and other projects.

However, the fishing community of Mumbai has been opposing the 192-metre high Shivaji memorial ever since it was announced in 2010. They said that the location of the memorial is a breeding ground for at least 32 species of the city’s most commonly eaten fish. According to them, building the memorial will effectively rob thousands of fishing families of their livelihoods.

https://scroll.in/latest/825043/my-...n-one-generation-says-narendra-modi-in-raigad

Not impossible. China did it. So can india.

Yes go modi go.

It seems like looney toons show.

Why not make india richest country in whole universe.

I am sure even if anything happens or not. Indians are loosing democracy and back to ruled slavery.

I heard Modi is about to tax capital market gains. If he does that it will be a big blow to small traders.

If he wants to make India a developed country by killing small people, I hope he gets kicked out in 2019.

Power should not go to his head like what happened to Indira Gandhi.
Continue with the development projects and don't jump the gun.
Go steady and India will definitely reach all its goals.

By the way, the most exciting and sensational time is during the transition from an underdeveloped to a developed country. A certain indicators are worth monitoring like HDI and employment rate... I never consider gdp per capita as a good measure since it does not provide any info about the distribution of the wealth. While the employment rate talks a lot about the health of the economic system.

china is still not a developed country...
What is the definition of a developed country?

Last edited:
China is almost there. We however, have a long long way to go.
china's eastern Part in developed and western part is still not that kind of developed.. and CPEC is placed to develop western part of china steadily..

I think india will take 10x times as compare to china to be called as a developed country.. and reason for this late is that china is one party rule and whatever Party plan every ruler has to follow that and that is why china's development plans go steady without any interruptions..

whereas india is a democratic country and in every province there is a different political party with different agenda, some political parties are working as a national party and some are working as a local and provincial party and that create conflict of interest between parties. and in every province there are different laws like in some provinces alcohol is allowed to consume and in some province alcohol is banned.
some region of india are more developed than other regions like Tamil Nadu region is more developed as compared to any other part of india. and North East region is least developed region in india..

china herself dont call as developed.. you call any chinese member here,,
@Beast @AndrewJin
No my question is not whether China is developed or not yet.
Rather, I have asked you about some standard definition or a criteria for being a developed country against which each country can be tested.

Back
Top Bottom