What's new

Natalie Portman Dior Mascara Ad Banned for Having Lashes Just Way Too Long

Umair Nawaz

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Why is that when in our Country we try to control media n commercials, the stockholders try to manipulate the situation n say its against the freedom rights etc. When West it self(who is their God father) does exactly opposite, when it comes to them.

Remember when PTA tried to ban the topic on Baramdad Bughti n Baloch problem, then they the TV tycoons had started to lobbying n started to say its the move of Gov to stop the freedom in media n Blah Blah.They started to spread false propaganda against the State. Now their own Godfather bans an add of an actress as goods as Natalie just because she had too long eye lashes for their liking!!!!!:rofl:

Now here is another example what West actually thinks abt the so called basic rights ''Freedom'' of any sorts. Here is the full story........

Wait a minute, this mascara won't turn me into Natalie Portman? I'm shocked! Horrified. I want my money back...

Seems silly, but a Christian Dior mascara ad has been banned in the U.K. because Natalie Portman's exquisite, thick, Bambi eyelashes were just too long.
The ad, which is for Diorshow "New Look" mascara, "must not appear again in its current form" according to a ruling posted on October 24th by the Advertising Standards Authority, the U.K.'s independent regulatory body for truth in advertising. The ASA found that the ad employed post-production techniques to enhance Portman's lashes in a way that could mislead consumers about the efficacy of the mascara. The complaint was brought against Dior not by outraged consumers, but by competitor L'Oreal.

"Post-production techniques are not prohibited by advertising rules," ASA spokesperson Matthew Wilson told Yahoo! Shine. "Most people understand and appreciate that every ad we see is likely to be touched up." The ASA gets involved only when the retouching could be misleading.

The Portman ad, Dior countered "did not go beyond the likely consumer expectations of what was achievable with the product," according to a response posted on the ASA website.

Dior disclosed that the Portman pics were originally intended for use in a lipstick ad, but were later repurposed. In the photos, Dior said, Natalie Portman is wearing mascara and eyeliner, but not individual false lashes or a set of false lashes. Portman's natural lashes were retouched digitally in post-production using Photoshop CS5.1, "nearly exclusively in relation to her upper lashes" and primarily "to separate/increase the length and curve of a number of her lashes, and to replace/fill a number of missing or damaged lashes, for a more stylised, uniform and tidy effect." The company said that "a minimal amount of retouching took place in relation to increasing the thickness and volume of a number of her natural lashes." Dior representatives did not return Yahoo! Shine's requests for comment.

Still, the ASA found that the ads went too far. Claims that the product was "lash-multiplying effect volume and care mascara," had "... an unrivalled lash creator effect" and "delivers spectacular volume-multiplying effect, lash by lash", in conjunction with the image of Natalie Portman's eyelashes, "would be understood to mean that the mascara could lengthen the lashes, as well as separate them, increase their thickness and volume, and generally enhance lash appearance."

On the one hand, most consumers over the age of 11 have probably discovered by now that beauty products aren't going to look the same in real life as they do in the ads. On the other, it's commendable that businesses in the U.K. are trying to adhere to a more realistic standard. The ASA is an independent, self-regulating body set up by advertisers that, spokesperson Wilson said, is taking part in "a broader debate about the negative effects of post-production techniques on body image."

Would it be so bad if makeup ads reflected what people—even inhumanly beautiful people like Portman—actually look like, or should they be the stuff of dreams?

Natalie Portman Dior Mascara Ad Banned for Having Lashes Just Way Too Long | Beauty on Shine - Yahoo! Shine

The ASA found that the ad employed post-production techniques to enhance Portman's lashes in a way that could mislead consumers about the efficacy of the mascara.

This. It is to not mislead consumers. Although, it does seem a little too idealistic.

But this isnt akin to religious censorship. In muslim countries like Saudi for instance, women should not appear in advertisements. That is against freedom, but this is just to ensure that consumers aren't misled. I guess there is definitely some freedom for exaggeration because it is an ad, but I think what they mean is that these guys have overdone it.

Do not create multiple threads on the same subject

Please do not deliberately change the title of news

Next time you might be infracted for violating the forum rules

Why are you crying? This is good, capitalism should be kept in bounds. Heck I'd prefer if they banned all retouching and photoshopping altogether. Especially in food, i hate it when you see a huge burger and when you order it's pathetic

http://www.defence.pk/forums/national-political-issues/215432-where-freedom.html

why have you opened two threads on the same issue using different titles?

my bad SORRY

Do not create multiple threads on the same subject

Please do not deliberately change the title of news

Next time you might be infracted for violating the forum rules
my bad SORRY

Why are you crying? This is good, capitalism should be kept in bounds. Heck I'd prefer if they banned all retouching and photoshopping altogether. Especially in food, i hate it when you see a huge burger and when you order it's pathetic

BUT WHERE IS THE FREEDOM.
AS IT SAYS EVERYONE IS FREE TO DO ANYTHING ISNT IT?

[QUOTE/]
AS IT SAYS EVERYONE IS FREE TO DO ANYTHING ISNT IT?[/QUOTE]

Freedom does not mean you are free to con people......you can advertize your product but you cannot cheat your customers.

[QUOTE/]
AS IT SAYS EVERYONE IS FREE TO DO ANYTHING ISNT IT?

Freedom does not mean you are free to con people......you can advertize your product but you cannot cheat your customers.

if its true then when they publish cartoons of Prophet n make films against us, then why dont u tell them ''Freedom does not mean you are free to con people'':lol:

if its true then when they publish cartoons of Prophet n make films against us, then why dont u tell them ''Freedom does not mean you are free to con people'':lol:[/QUOTE]

i would if i was offended

if its true then when they publish cartoons of Prophet n make films against us, then why dont u tell them ''Freedom does not mean you are free to con people'':lol:

:lol:

so butthurt!

Are you a consumer of Islam? If the answer is no, you have no business here. If it's yes, you need to reevaluate your relationship towards your god.

bottom line, this is about consumer rights, not about free speach, but im sure you put that difference aside a while ago.

You could probably extend that to everything. Scifi movies. Dont they misguide us and con us into believing that there is a Timelord who travels in space and time in the TARDIS ?

Or maybe we should sue to makers of Titanic and Kill Bill because the characters were not real.

There is a big difference between advertisments and forms of entertainment media. In ads one is telling something about a product we intend to sell later. You have to promote your product and not not misguide the people about what you are selling.
Similar conditions apply to news channels and newspapers. They can not report false news. People count on them for their accuracy.

Entertainment media including movies, books, theatre, songs, cartoons etc are all held to a different standard. They more often than not are fiction. People know that. They dont go to Watch Iron Man and believe Tony Stark really exists. These forms of media are at best expressing ideas and opinions, not facts.

As someone once said. "You can have your own opinions but not your own facts". So media that presents facts is regulated to ensure they are not falsifying anything. Media that presents opinions and ideas, is given the freedom of expression.

There is a big difference between advertisments and forms of entertainment media. In ads one is telling something about a product we intend to sell later. You have to promote your product and not not misguide the people about what you are selling.
Similar conditions apply to news channels and newspapers. They can not report false news. People count on them for their accuracy.

based on the above lines we can say that they cannot make Cartoons of Prophet or Make films like Innocence of Muslim. based on this ''You have to promote your product and not misguide the people about what you are selling.''
They people who will c that its obvious that they will take an impression by it now its upto the presenter of the film what he presents there. People surely will take a impression from it.
that was what i wanted to say!

Back
Top Bottom