What's new

Navy patrol boat sank off Chennai coast

Apparently, Indian shipyards might be fully booked with orders from Navy. That's the only reason I see them been purchased from Srilanka.

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @Capt.Popeye

Actually the notion that " Indian Shipyards are full " is a kind of hoax. Other than MDL and to some extent GRSE and CSL, no other shipyard is working with a full order book. Pipavav, L&T and HSL are yelling for more orders.

Trained sailors are the most valuable assets for the navy. It is a good thing that their lives are safe.

You sir are an amusing member for the India posters in this forum.:agree:

Nice DP(is it real??) and equally nice status.:tup:
Its like an anti-doggy and pro-doggy war is going on in the pdf.:D

How am I amusing..... I value life, no matter of nationality, ethnicity or in the case of India, caste. All lifes are equally valuable. Won't you agree..

Apparently, Indian shipyards might be fully booked with orders from Navy. That's the only reason I see them been purchased from Srilanka.

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @Capt.Popeye

I think that @Ankit Kumar is not correct with his facts. These Interceptor Boats have been built in Abu Dhabi as well as in ADB Yard India. I do not know if some were built in Sri Lanka. But these are a standard Boat designed somewhere in Europe.

IN had earlier bought Super Dvora Boats from Israel and then from a yard in Sri Lanka where they were built under licence. No issues there yet.
So why get hyper about it; accidents happen, it will take some time to find out why.

@Capt.Popeye
Sir all I knew about this was that Sagar Prahari Bal was to be equipped with 80 such boats and Solas Marine Lanka (Pvt) Ltd was awarded a 45 million USD contract for this.

Navy to beef up surveillance with new interceptor craft -The New Indian Express

The Island

So....... how does that confirm anything?
I am yet to see any merit in the argument that you are pushing.

Actually the notion that " Indian Shipyards are full " is a kind of hoax. Other than MDL and to some extent GRSE and CSL, no other shipyard is working with a full order book. Pipavav, L&T and HSL are yelling for more orders.

If you have still not got it yet. L&T, Pipavav and HSL are Shipyards not Boatyards; Pipavav has the largest Dry Dock from here to Singapore. None of them make Boats. There are Boatyards like Adyar Boatyards and ADB in India that make Boats like this

@Capt.Popeye
Sir the boats which ABG manufactured were of 28 meters , not these ones
Interceptor boats built by ABG commissioned at Kochi - The Times of India

And sir the boats which were made by AbuDhabi shipyard are 25 meters termed as Immediate Support vessels

Immediate Support Vessel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I don't find that my stand here " That these boats are from Sri Lanka " is at present to the best of my knowledge, wrong. However I stand to be corrected if wrong.

If you have still not got it yet. L&T, Pipavav and HSL are Shipyards not Boatyards; Pipavav has the largest Dry Dock from here to Singapore. None of them make Boats. There are Boatyards like Adyar Boatyards and ADB in India that make Boats like this

Sir its not like that these listed above do not have the capability or are not manufacturing similar vessels or have not made them in past . My point was only that the notion that shipbuilding centers in India is full is absolutely wrong. :-)

@Capt.Popeye
Sir the boats which ABG manufactured were of 28 meters , not these ones
Interceptor boats built by ABG commissioned at Kochi - The Times of India

And sir the boats which were made by AbuDhabi shipyard are 25 meters termed as Immediate Support vessels

Immediate Support Vessel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I don't find that my stand here " That these boats are from Sri Lanka " is at present to the best of my knowledge, wrong. However I stand to be corrected if wrong.

Whatever that may be.
However, the Boatyards in SL have built up a clientele for their boats over time, which includes even the IN for the Israeli Super Dvoras. They got the business therefore, which answers your earlier question "Bhagwan jane aisi kya baat hai isme jo Lanka wale kar sakte par hm nahi". No Indian Yard had a comparable bid for these, probably.

Whatever that may be.
However, the Boatyards in SL have built up a clientele for their boats over time, which includes even the IN for the Israeli Super Dvoras. They got the business therefore, which answers your earlier question "Bhagwan jane aisi kya baat hai isme jo Lanka wale kar sakte par hm nahi". No Indian Yard had a comparable bid for these, probably.

My only concern was why an Indian Ship building center was not preferred. If we can make Destroyers, we can definitely make these too, maybe we could have sought for manufacturing 50% at least here?

My only concern was why an Indian Ship building center was not preferred. If we can make Destroyers, we can definitely make these too, maybe we could have sought for manufacturing 50% at least here?

There is no parallel between being able to make a Carrier or Destroyer with being able to make these Patrol Boats. To explain further; in this contract, some Indian Yards may have bid as well. But they may not have had viable designs or JVs. Or their Commercial Bids may not have made the cut.
OR they may not have even bid at all....... since I do not know the specifics.

Blindly seeking to "make in India" is stupid, because it may not always be economically viable, technically viable or it may just end up rewarding some "cronies" which sometimes happens. Let me tell you; that is a hidden danger in some of the contracts. A past version of it was in the BOT, BOOT contracts that was used in the effort to make Highways and other Infra.
Govt. will not like to talk too much about that...........

I would not make the mistake of over-insistence on MII everywhere, as you may now understand. Competitive open bidding is the best route to go. Let not the patronage of the Licence-Permit Raj come back through the back-door. This is an area that I have some knowledge of. :)

@sarjenprabhu
@NIA

No , see at the report, it says 15 meters... Car Nicobar class are near 50 meters long. Plus it says fiberglass , but Car Nicobar is made of Aluminium .

It must be this
Solas_Marine_fast_interceptor_craft_T-403.jpg

We have ordered 8O such boats from Sri Lanka.
Solas Marine fast interceptor boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These look like a boat for jet skis or recreational fishing.

Back
Top Bottom