What's new

Navy warns of fighter planes' sonic booms in Goa

Isaq Khan

BANNED
Reaction score

After the sonic booms of Indian Navy's MiG-29K fighter planes triggered an alarm in Goa in February, the force Tuesday advised people not to panic if they hear similar loud sounds in the coming days.

The fighter planes' sonic boom was earlier mistaken for a series of mysterious, unexplained explosions by the public and the state administration.

A sonic boom is a sound similar to a loud explosion which is generated by the shock waves formed on an airplane in supersonic flight.

In a formal statement issued Tuesday, Indian Navy Public Relations Officer (PRO) Commander M.C. Joshi has advised the public not to be alarmed when they hear an occasional boom.

The navy, which did not give any details of the next exercise, assured that the fighter planes' exercises will be conducted deep into the sea to prevent public alarm.

'The public is advised not to be alarmed should an occasional boom be heard. They may only take it as an assurance that the Indian Navy pilots are practicing hard for safeguarding the nation whilst the citizens go about their daily work,' Joshi said.

'The MiG-29K is an advanced multirole 4th generation air superiority fighter at present being operated from the Indian Navy's naval air station INS Hansa at Dabolim. This aircraft has the capability to go supersonic at almost twice the speed of sound,' the PRO said.

'In certain atmospheric conditions, sonic booms from a supersonic aircraft may reach distances as far as 20-40 km. The ability to fly at supersonic speed is of great advantage to a fighter pilot in a combat situation and it is therefore important that supersonic flying is practiced to maintain a high level of operational readiness,' he said.

'To achieve this aim, without disturbing the resident population of Goa, MiG-29K pilots at INS Hansa will fly all flights involving supersonic profiles deep into the sea and at very high altitudes,' he said.

'However, there is still a possibility that sonic booms could be heard by the local population and our fishing communities from time to time. These are absolutely harmless to life, health and property. Supersonic flights have been undertaken by the IAF (Indian Air Force) all over the country since the 1970s and are an absolutely normal part of fighter training,' he said.

In February, Chief Minister Digambar Kamat had to order an official inquiry in February after an alarm over the sonic booms in coastal areas.

It was only after the navy was formally contacted by the state administration that the mystery behind the loud sounds was solved, an official said.

Yeah, baby. Get used to the BOOOOOOOOM, these babies are here to stay..
mig29k6019dg.jpg

it was very frequent in Ludhiana. Migs flying from Halwara were amazing, i miss sonic booms man..... My grandfather used to tell me its some kind of bomb used by weather people to check cloulds if its going to rain or not:lol::lol:. It was at 8th class i came to know that my dadu was lying when my science teacher explained us after a mig sonic boom interrupted morning prayers.

it was very frequent in Ludhiana. Migs flying from Halwara were amazing, i miss sonic booms man..... My grandfather used to tell me its some kind of bomb used by weather people to check cloulds if its going to rain or not:lol::lol:. It was at 8th class i came to know that my dadu was lying when my science teacher explained us after a mig sonic boom interrupted morning prayers.

Guess ur Grandpa wanted to keep u silent so that u may not become too inqusitive. I guess u pestered ur grandpa with too many questions u noughty boy :D

Poor Goans

Last edited by a moderator:
What a bOOOOOOM........ guess what MIG says --hey-------- " I DIDNT DO IT":rofl:

@ Markos

3968560757_24e7cb51ee_z.jpg

This is hornet .. looks good

Sonic boom sound is like a thunder lightening falling on earth. Though lightening has continuity and crackling in it with long duration but sonic boom is just one big brief sound without crackling. It was usually heard after the jets disappearing into horizon. I mean takes time to reach at us i.e. after we can see a little fog around the nose of plane. Things were easier to understand after we came to know that those were sonic booms.
Interestingly from my place halwara is 20 km away and migs were many times low flying when making sonic booms i mean you can read a number plate if they may have :lol: Beautiful scene always.
Mig 21 sorties and sonic booms were very frequent in 90-00 but were reduced significantly afterwards, may be due to aging fleet. dono !!

@ marcos98 the main reason fr unavailability of photos of migs having a vapour cone around them is lack of quality photographers hired fr a photo shoot even if there was one rarely but i found one RMAF mig doing the same drool over it :woot:

1630495.jpg

Back
Top Bottom